5.0 TV Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2021, 08:40 PM   #1

Trailer: Past time to update- canceled my 5.0 ��
5.0 TV Question

So this year I had planned on buying and HD dually truck and fiberglass truck camper. Enter covid, chip shortage, crazy prices, and minimal HD truck options. Now I’m thinking 5.0 and 1/2 ton truck to tow might be a better long term option. Yes, I know Escape wait times are crazy, but I’m currently happy in a camper van.

So the question I have is this: Can you get the correct 5th wheel hitch on a 150/1500 series truck through the manufacturer (like you can for the HD trucks) or is this something I will have to have installed later? Is there a weight limiting factor for a 1500 series vs HD series trucks, as far at hitch weight goes? And lastly, will I have room in the front of the bed for a rail mounted locking truck box? I would be getting a long bed truck most likely.

Thanks for any and all input!
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva View Post
.... So the question I have is this: Can you get the correct 5th wheel hitch on a 150/1500 series truck through the manufacturer (like you can for the HD trucks) ....
The answer is "no" in the case of the Ford F150 series, neither an in-bed mounting system (aka 'bed-hitch mounting pucks' as offered on the F250+) nor a full 5th wheel hitch. Nor does Ford offer a bed-hitch mounting system kit as an accessory for dealer installation on the F150 series. Can't comment on other manufacturers.

Many dealers will work with you to have a (non-Ford) hitch or mounting system added as a 'dealer installed option' (though usually the install is actually done by an independent hitch shop, not dealer techs) and roll that cost into the truck purchase price for financing purposes, if that's your interest.
Old 12-14-2021, 06:55 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
So the question I have is this: Can you get the correct 5th wheel hitch on a 150/1500 series truck through the manufacturer (like you can for the HD trucks) or is this something I will have to have installed later? Is there a weight limiting factor for a 1500 series vs HD series trucks, as far at hitch weight goes? And lastly, will I have room in the front of the bed for a rail mounted locking truck box? I would be getting a long bed truck most likely.

Thanks for any and all input!
1. We have a 2020 RAM 1500, Hemi, Quad Cab, 4x2, 6.4 bed. Max Tow 8,600lbs & Payload 1746lbs. As one adds truck options payload goes down. This payload allows for no concerns with loading while towing a 5.0. More than enough for our needs.
2. RAM frame comes setup for 5th wheel hitch rail mounts. Frame holes are already there. No frame drilling required. Rails and underside mounts are available on Etrailer & any Truck accessories can easily install it. They can order the parts for you as well.
3. The 5.0 does great with a Steel Anderson Ultimate hitch. Weighs 40lbs so non-issue.
4. Yes, room for low profile tool box. Many opt for retractable bed covers that retract into a tool box size case.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack! View Post
1. We have a 2020 RAM 1500, Hemi, Quad Cab, 4x2, 6.4 bed. Max Tow 8,600lbs & Payload 1746lbs. As one adds truck options payload goes down. This payload allows for no concerns with loading while towing a 5.0. More than enough for our needs.
2. RAM frame comes setup for 5th wheel hitch rail mounts. Frame holes are already there. No frame drilling required. Rails and underside mounts are available on Etrailer & any Truck accessories can easily install it. They can order the parts for you as well.
3. The 5.0 does great with a Steel Anderson Ultimate hitch. Weighs 40lbs so non-issue.
4. Yes, room for low profile tool box. Many opt for retractable bed covers that retract into a tool box size case.
Thank you for the input. I have never towed and that is just once reason I’m in a camper van now, and was hoping for a dually and truck camper set up down the road. Plus, I would only take up one (large) parking spot in a truck/camper situation.. I will research the rail mounted system. Didn’t even know that was an option and was expecting to have the bed of the truck drilled to install a regular fifth wheel hitch. Thanks much!
Old 12-14-2021, 08:00 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Thank you for the input. I have never towed and that is just once reason I’m in a camper van now, and was hoping for a dually and truck camper set up down the road. Plus, I would only take up one (large) parking spot in a truck/camper situation.. I will research the rail mounted system. Didn’t even know that was an option and was expecting to have the bed of the truck drilled to install a regular fifth wheel hitch. Thanks much!
Just some small bolt holes are made through the bed. As said, no holes required under the bed in the truck frame. Those are already there. Hitch is easily removed when not towing to load the bed with other things. Just 4 easily removable pins hold it in place. Only weighs 40lbs. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
3200_Base_Installed_600x.jpg  
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:17 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Those towing with a Ram truck, check your spare! Mine was a temporary and I had to purchase a full sized wheel and now carry it in the bed.....
Old 12-15-2021, 08:32 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Those towing with a Ram truck, check your spare! Mine was a temporary and I had to purchase a full sized wheel and now carry it in the bed.....
Hi: cpaharley2008... I checked... mine's a full size on a steel wheel, but my 1/2 ton isn't. Maybe that's why? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1050309.jpg   P1050392a.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:23 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You are close Alf, they are called 1/2 ton trucks, which to me means 1,000 lbs.......
Old 12-15-2021, 11:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You are close Alf, they are called 1/2 ton trucks, which to me means 1,000 lbs.......
The "ton ratings" ceased to mean much at all long ago. Some full-size pickups which people call "1/2 tons" have less than 1,000 pounds of payload, and others have well over 2,000 pounds of payload.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 11:48 PM   #10

A picture is worth a thousand words! ����
Old 12-16-2021, 07:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Hi: Deva... Here's a shot of our rig waiting in line for a boat ride. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1050326.jpg  
Old 12-16-2021, 07:18 AM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
With a mid-length or long bed truck you'll have space to put a toolbox in the bed in front of the hitch if you want to. Others use a tonneau cover, depends on what you carry back there and how much security you need. With standard rails either an Andersen Ultimate hitch or conventional hitch will work just fine. And you'll find very satisfied owners of pretty much every make of half ton pickup truck reporting that the 5.0 tows very easily. Lots of choices to make, but they are pretty much all good.
Attached Thumbnails
Arches 04.jpg   Recon hitch 1.jpg  
Old 12-16-2021, 09:08 AM   #13

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
With a mid-length or long bed truck you'll have space to put a toolbox in the bed in front of the hitch if you want to. ...
Just FYI here's pics of another variation on that theme, an F150 with 6.5ft box, Andersen Ultimate hitch on a B&W Turnoverball, and a Kobalt 'over the rails' toolbox at the front of the bed.

My truck had the Turnoverball and toolbox installed long before I contemplated getting the Escape 5.0 (I previously towed gooseneck utility trailers). All 'plays nice' together, I have plenty of clearance for backing the trailer 90deg to the truck with no interference / conflict, and the rig tows like a dream!
Attached Thumbnails
r ALAN E  5_0 RIG.jpg   toolbox.jpg  
Old 12-16-2021, 11:09 AM   #14

No dually required!!!

Quote:
Hi: Deva... Here's a pic showing our present hitch in our former truck. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1040198.jpg  
Old 12-16-2021, 01:47 PM   #15

Nice set-up, y’all! I’m pretty positive a 5.0 is what I’ll go with. It seems the most stable when towing and the easiest to tow. I also like the separate living/sleeping spaces, among many other things. Still a little hesitant since I’ve never towed a single thing, but might as well jump in with two feet instead of dipping in a toe or two! I’ve been traveling around in a camper van for almost five years now, with a very simple build out, so a fiver would be the lap of luxury for me! Thanks to all the helpful folks in the forum. I’ve been dithering about an Escape vs. Truck/Truck Camper for almost 3 years now…��
Old 12-16-2021, 05:42 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Hello Escape Artist,

I'm just getting started doing my research. Literally, just did the deposit for a March 2024 delivery today. Pondering all things truck and know virtually nothing. I'm a Toyota fan so likely will be looking at Tundras. Just asking what the length of your truck bed is? I think I might be able to get away with a 5.5' bed I'm hoping thx

- karen
karwask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by karwask View Post
Hello Escape Artist,

I'm just getting started doing my research. Literally, just did the deposit for a March 2024 delivery today. Pondering all things truck and know virtually nothing. I'm a Toyota fan so likely will be looking at Tundras. Just asking what the length of your truck bed is? I think I might be able to get away with a 5.5' bed I'm hoping thx

- karen
Hi: karwask... Our 2010 Nissan Frontier was a 6' 1" bed. Our 2016 Ram is a 5' 7" bed. We have used the same Husky EZRoller hitch but the RV Tech used a new set of Ram bed Rails this time rather than removing the universal ones we had previously. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1020904.jpg   P1050269.jpg   P1050392a.jpg  
Old 01-02-2022, 03:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 2021 5.0 (Dec ‘21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
With a mid-length or long bed truck you'll have space to put a toolbox in the bed in front of the hitch if you want to.
Hi David. We’re looking to add a toolbox to our setup (picked up our 5.0 on 12/20/21&#128536. I see your toolbox is on pressure treated lumber; is it also bolted to the bed, or just resting on it? If the latter, does it shift around? Thanks!

Duane & Marty
WannaBeEscaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 03:52 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeEscaped View Post
Hi David. We’re looking to add a toolbox to our setup (picked up our 5.0 on 12/20/21&#128536. I see your toolbox is on pressure treated lumber; is it also bolted to the bed, or just resting on it? If the latter, does it shift around? Thanks!

Duane & Marty
Hi Duane & Marty. Yes, the toolbox is sitting on lumber. It's 20 years old and truck bed sides were not as tall then, I raised it up to make it easier to get into. The wood framework fits securely in the area in front of the wheel wells and I didn't fasten it down and that has worked fine - a handful of screws in the bottom of the toolbox to attach it to the wood base are all I did.
Old 03-05-2023, 01:00 PM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
The answer is "no" in the case of the Ford F150 series, neither an in-bed mounting system (aka 'bed-hitch mounting pucks' as offered on the F250+) nor a full 5th wheel hitch. Nor does Ford offer a bed-hitch mounting system kit as an accessory for dealer installation on the F150 series. Can't comment on other manufacturers.

Many dealers will work with you to have a (non-Ford) hitch or mounting system added as a 'dealer installed option' (though usually the install is actually done by an independent hitch shop, not dealer techs) and roll that cost into the truck purchase price for financing purposes, if that's your interest.

Another option is to order the truck with a gooseneck setup from the manufacturer and then use the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch - this is what I used because I already had a truck set up to pull a gooseneck trailer.