5.0TA Ford f150 w/5.5 bed and andersen rails hitch - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
"I just can't wrap my brain around why." Yes, this is another hard one to understand. Many have pondered it, some have tried it but I am unaware of anyone who has their's turned toward the front.

The reason being is that the King Pin will hit the sides of the box in tight turns (turning it forward actually pushes that contact point back 8" - it was 4" behind, when turned it is now 4" forward).

30" is the ETI minimum recommended, you will likely be surprised how tight of turns you can make.
Thanks for the vote of confidence that we will be okay. No surprise i can't understand it. I don't understand how airplanes can fly and cruise ships don't sink either. 😜😜😜
Glad understanding isn't essential to living!
Want2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:34 AM   #22

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Still thinking about the 5’-6” bed on my F150 and the turn angles. It seems as if the Andersen setup the right way works but just have to be careful. If I think the turn is too tight just remember to pull forward, straighten a bit and retry.

My next concern for me is pulling out of my driveway. It’s your typical 90 degree turn that I can swing to adjust but it’s a question of the downward pitch of the driveway and the upward pitch of the street.

It’s not bad but my question is how much fluff would I have in the downward/upward \ / belly angle? If can you understand what I mean.

My 5.0 Fever may be getting the best of my mental agility.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:10 AM   #23

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I know what you mean but have no idea how to describe the amount of fluff. I too have a downward pitch to the drive. From what I just read on another thread, getting the high lift axle option adds space between the bed rails and the camper, so that'd help. I don't think bed length has much influence on this space, maybe just a tad depending on if the wheelbase changes.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Still thinking about the 5’-6” bed on my F150 and the turn angles. It seems as if the Andersen setup the right way works but just have to be careful. If I think the turn is too tight just remember to pull forward, straighten a bit and retry.B... I solved the problem of denting the cabMy next concern for me is pulling out of my driveway. It’s your typical 90 degree turn that I can swing to adjust but it’s a question of the downward pitch of the driveway and the upward pitch of the street.

It’s not bad but my question is how much fluff would I have in the downward/upward \ / belly angle? If can you understand what I mean.

Hi: WillyB... I solved the problem of denting the cab!!! I bought a used truck with a 5' 7" bed that was already dented. The PO had something in the box slide forward taking out the back window and adding a stylish ding above it. Now I don't feel so bad!!!
Of course if you don't have a fifth wheel you won't have to do this test. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040819.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:28 AM   #25

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Still thinking about the 5’-6” bed on my F150 and the turn angles. It seems as if the Andersen setup the right way works but just have to be careful. If I think the turn is too tight just remember to pull forward, straighten a bit and retry.

My next concern for me is pulling out of my driveway. It’s your typical 90 degree turn that I can swing to adjust but it’s a question of the downward pitch of the driveway and the upward pitch of the street.

Every slope will be different - you'll just have to check yours and see. I got the high lift axle because of the downward slope in our driveway, I knew from a previous trailer that the trailer frame would drop way down and want to hit the bed rails. With the high lift axle, on level ground I have 9" of clearance. As you can see from these photos, when I back down our driveway going over the hump I have perhaps one inch to spare....I was really happy to discover that on the first trip down our driveway!
Attached Thumbnails
Driveway 2.jpg   Driveway 1.jpg   Rambo setup.jpg  
Old 07-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Go View Post
Thanks to all that replied. Thought I'd clear everything up on a fresh post.
It is on our truck today! Still holding our breath some, that it will be successful for us in August for our Denver delivery.

Camping World (valdosta) worked very hard to get it right including calling Trademaster per ETI's guidance.

Rails were installed in normal position. Andersen hitch is installed with ball toward the rear of bed. Gives us 30.5 inches.

The service manager comforted me by saying escape 5.0 has more king pin distance to trailer box than most other fifth wheels. Most others sit forward of king pin. So I'm guessing this is why the Andersen can work in a 5.5ft bed.

ETI will attach coupler to king pin as we will send it to them.
Only question is, will the coupler and funnel be positioned forward toward truck. Or toward trailer. It seems they told camping world it would go toward trailer. I don't know why it doesn't go toward truck to give an extra little space for a little more radius turning.

I can report back on that in August.
Thank you all!
Trying to add pictures.
Hope moderator can take first F out of title.
When I picked up my 5.0, I had already installed the Anderson adaptor - I have a gooseneck setup because I also pull a horse trailer. When I expressed my concern about the dimensions, etc. the guy at ETI, I think his name was Bob but am not sure, told me "It is my job to make it work." I have had no issues with pulling or turning my rig, I can almost get a 90 degree angle without hitting the cab. Trust them, they know what they are doing.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #27

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Every slope will be different - you'll just have to check yours and see. I got the high lift axle because of the downward slope in our driveway, I knew from a previous trailer that the trailer frame would drop way down and want to hit the bed rails. With the high lift axle, on level ground I have 9" of clearance. As you can see from these photos, when I back down our driveway going over the hump I have perhaps one inch to spare....I was really happy to discover that on the first trip down our driveway!
Thanks for photos.

1”? Whew!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:23 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA as of June 28, 2018
Ford 150 6/12 bed and ford 150 5 1/2 bed

I picked up my 2018 5.0 TA at ETI and they put my Andersen Ultimate Hitch Coupler on with pin release on drivers side of truck. The truck was a 2013 F 150 super-cab with 6 1/2 bed and a v8. Towed trailer approximately 6000 miles that way with no problems. Bought a 2019 F 150 crew cab with 5 1/2 foot bed and put Anderson coupler on but reversed (pin pull on passenger side of truck). At first I raised the ball up thinking I would need the clearance. After 2500 miles I've lowered it back down to lowest position. I don't do 90 degree turns because you are dragging trailer wheels sideways when you do it. Have now put another 1500 miles on everything and haven't had the slightest problem with clearance, etc. Don't worry. Just enjoy. Mel Tucker
Mel Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #29

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
The pin release is nice, isn't it?
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... I'm sure that when Reace& Tammy owned the Co. Reace pulled a 5.0TA with an F150 Crew Cab with a 5' 5" bed. Looking at it during the ETI Rally in 2018 I made my decision to get the Ram EcoDiesel w/ 5' 7" bed. Finding one with 35,000 miles on it even with the ding in the cab, was icing on the cake!!! 1 less thing to worry about!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040902.jpg   P1040899.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:22 PM   #31

Oh and I was told by ETI that I would need the high lift axel because of the high box of my truck I sent measurements of my truck before finalizing my order.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Oh and I was told by ETI that I would need the high lift axel because of the high box of my truck I sent measurements of my truck before finalizing my order.
Was the height of the top of the bed over 58 inches? That is the highest height you can have. You can raise that to 60.5 inches with the high lift.

I have the high life with air bags in the rear of the truck, so I can alter the height. I keep them at about 60 inches high and at 20# of pressure.

My Tundra is rated a 'Heavy Half Ton' which means the shocks or springs are upgraded and other stuff too. It's hard to find info on it.

When you put the load of the trailer on the truck, it groans! But it does not deflect much. I also have the 5.5 foot bed and my offset if facing backwards. I have an opposite offset on the floor of the truck below the Anderson gooseneck. I seem to have enough clearance when I am in tight corners. I don't think I have quite hit a 90° turn yet, but close. I like it!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Was the height of the top of the bed over 58 inches? That is the highest height you can have. You can raise that to 60.5 inches with the high lift.

I have the high life with air bags in the rear of the truck, so I can alter the height. I keep them at about 60 inches high and at 20# of pressure.

My Tundra is rated a 'Heavy Half Ton' which means the shocks or springs are upgraded and other stuff too. It's hard to find info on it.

When you put the load of the trailer on the truck, it groans! But it does not deflect much. I also have the 5.5 foot bed and my offset if facing backwards. I have an opposite offset on the floor of the truck below the Anderson gooseneck. I seem to have enough clearance when I am in tight corners. I don't think I have quite hit a 90° turn yet, but close. I like it!
Sounds right. The high lift axel did the trick.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:32 PM   #34

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Escape has a handy guide for measuring where the pin needs to be in relation to the rear and sides of the truck. It looks like my 5.0 bed on my 2019 Ranger could work, although turn angle would be very limited since the pin could not be any further than 28 inches from the cab since I would need to keep the pin at least 32" from the tailgate.
Attached Thumbnails
5th wheel hitch.JPG   fifth wheel chart.JPG  
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:36 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Escape has a handy guide for measuring where the pin needs to be in relation to the rear and sides of the truck.
That does look like a very useful guide. Thanks for posting it and the link... I did not know that Escape had produced this and had not noticed that they had this linked to their 5.0 page.

The guide is very well done. Although perhaps asking too much, it would be nice if the clearance drawings - particularly for turning angle - were repeated for the use of an Andersen Ultimate (with the coupler behind the pin, which reduces the available turning angle for a given hitch position). They could even show the Pinbox to Truck Box Contact situation with the coupler block ahead of the pin, illustrating the problem of the rear of the pin box hitting the box sides.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:46 PM   #36

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
.... Although perhaps asking too much, it would be nice if the clearance drawings - particularly for turning angle - were repeated for the use of an Andersen Ultimate (with the coupler behind the pin, which reduces the available turning angle for a given hitch position). ...
Just FYI / FWIW here's my cut at adding the Andersen info to the ETI dimension drawings:

Nope, didn't do it for the 'forward rotated' Andersen Coupler Block because I knew that would put the back of the pinbox too close to the side rails for the application of interest to me.

I've done a rough 'graphic solution' for the turning angle for my specific application but that's not suitable for general publication - only applies to my specific vehicle / underbed gooseneck ball location, considering exactly where the ultimate connection ball falls relative to the cab (Andersen #3220 UC2 ball would be 5.375" behind my existing B&W Turnover ball per dimension drawings available on the Andersen site).