Andersen No Sway Hitch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2024, 01:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 21C
Andersen No Sway Hitch

My 21c will be arriving in a few days and I am needing some advice regarding towing. I will be towing the 21 with a Tundra and occasionally a Lexus GX460. Do you recommend a Andersen no sway hitch? If so, which model number fits?

Thanks!!
99maddiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We started with one when we bought our 21C new. ETI installed the Andersen hitch, however they stopped selling it after only a year or two. We had some problems- notably the chains wearing the chain guides and LSS we got a full refund- not from ETI who sold it to us but Andersen.

It also was wearing on our coupler and had to replace it. This was a known problem and reported on the Airstream Forum. I know many here and elsewhere do like it and Andersen has done some redesign since we bought ours.

I would call Andersen and discuss your Tow Vehicle and get a recommendation from them. The one sold to us had a standard length shank at the time and it was not long enough to allow us to open our rear hatch on our SUV. Others had a similar issue with lowering the tailgate on their trucks. Andersen will make the shank to the specific length that you need to avoid that problem.

https://andersenhitches.com/

We went to a Pro Series with 600# round bars (ETI calls it "Equalizer")- which is what we had with our 17B and it is super easy to set up & remove the bars. While it does not have sway control, the 21C is probably the least likely model to encounter sway with so much weight up front. We've never had hint of sway over the last almost ten years and a lot of miles.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
We switched from the Pro-Series 600lb Trunnion to the Andersen WD hitch and couldn't be happier. It's much quieter, smoother and easier to handle.

ETI will give you the recommended top of ball height for your 21C and from there it is a simple matter of measuring from your truck's hitch receiver.

We have seen no wear, love that it's greaseless so easy to hook up and unhook as well as store when not in use.
MarkinVan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:52 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
The tundra probably doesn't need any sort of weight distribution hitch, but the Lexus SUV might be kind of pitchy on a rough road without one. Soon as I get back to this Mexico trip, I'm going to be getting an Anderson WDH because my new Expedition is pitchy with a full load in the trailer on rough roads in Mexico is completely full of them. I didn't discover this until I was halfway across the US heading for our entrance port in Texas, and it was too late because we were on a schedule and could not wait. Previously I was towing with a older F-250 which was a total tank and didn't notice the escape at all, no pitching, no swing nothing no matter what I did. Of course that f250 diesel had a 12,000 plus pound tow capacity and a 2,000 lb hitch capacity. The F-250 did recommend using a WDH for trailers over 7000 lb gross . I'm still glad I got the expedition, it's been way more comfortable on this trip. Smoother riding quieter. Great acceleration great fuel economy with the Ecoboost 3.5 and 10 speed and it tows the trailer just fine. It's just a little bouncy on the rougher roads.

Hard to believe, but we are 3 months into a 4 month Mexico trip, and we've had no disasters. No crises, no breakdowns. Will be back state side in four more weeks
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote