Brake controller ? T&C - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2021, 08:57 PM   #1
GPS

Trailer: 17A 2021
Brake controller ? T&C

Hey towing a 17a in the near future with a 2014town & country. I have an oem 7 pin wiring harness that I installed after market for our pop up that's towed for 7 years. Now I need a brake controller. Anyone have any experience, know how on how to do that and what is needed? Thanks. And also. What did you install and where on or near the dash? Thanks again. Gary
GPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Go to etrailer.com for tons of info and instructional video.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I agree on the etrailer.com tip. LOTS of good info there.

I just installed a Redarc brake controller and wish they were available 25+ years ago when I started towing. Easy to install, hidden away except for a small knob on your dash, works well with both proportional and fixed braking plus manual too. Take a look at them as well as the traditional units.

Safe travels, Doug
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:32 PM   #4
GPS

Thanks. I was hoping that someone here put one in to try and learn from them. Trying to avoid the airbag is different for every vehicle so I am clueless on that front as well. First to be controller for me
Old 08-05-2021, 08:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS View Post
Thanks. I was hoping that someone here put one in to try and learn from them. Trying to avoid the airbag is different for every vehicle so I am clueless on that front as well. First to be controller for me
I installed a 7-pin connector and brake controller in (I think) a 2008 Chrysler minivan.

First off, the van is not designed for a brake controller so the install will be 100% manual routing of the wires. You can probably get a competent install of the 7-pin itself and a hitch done at a place like U-haul, but at least back in 2012 they would not run the wires for the controller.

I don't remember everything I wound up doing, but it was quite the PITA. I had to:

1) Cut the wire going to the brake pedal and splice in a wire to activate the controller.
2) Run positive (with fuse) and negative cables to the battery to directly power the brakes.

I think those were the main lines I ran. I remember running wire down the length of the van and tucking it in under the trim panels along the sliding doors. I remember thinking that it was a lot harder than it should have been as compared to all the pickups in the world that came (even in 2012) with a built in harness and connection point under the dash for a brake controller.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 17A
What is your tow vehicle? My 2017 Tacoma came pre-wired for a brake controller. All I had to do was mount the controller, dig out the pigtail and connect it.
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblets View Post
What is your tow vehicle? My 2017 Tacoma came pre-wired for a brake controller. All I had to do was mount the controller, dig out the pigtail and connect it.
2014 Chrysler Town and Country. It is in the first post.

It probably does not have a 'plug and play' brake controller port under the dash because Chrysler did not actually expect anyone to tow something with electric brakes with their minivan. That's the simple truth of it.

I towed an 1800 pound pop-up with a 2008 T&C. The camper had brakes and so I wanted to use them. Wiring it was a total, manual, PITA.

Edit - thinking back, I bought my pop-up in 2005 and sold it in 2010, so my van was earlier than I was recalling. Probably an '08 or '09
Old 08-05-2021, 11:32 PM   #8
GPS

Today I looked at the coiled up blue wire in the engine area next to the fuse box that is from the 7 pin harness. Then left of the brake pedal inside is a female plug set in a holder at the bottom of the dash with three wires. Black white n red coming out of it where they join a whole mess of wires all bound up. I know I need to route the blue wire back into a controller
Gosh I hope that plug is there for a reason.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:15 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS View Post
Today I looked at the coiled up blue wire in the engine area next to the fuse box that is from the 7 pin harness. Then left of the brake pedal inside is a female plug set in a holder at the bottom of the dash with three wires. Black white n red coming out of it where they join a whole mess of wires all bound up. I know I need to route the blue wire back into a controller
Gosh I hope that plug is there for a reason.
Again go to etrailer.com and they will have all the instructions you need...after doing a quick look is seems like it might be a plug and play situation. I like etrailer because they actually test fit vehicles and have reviews from people that actually used the product. Don't reinvent the wheel here.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:02 AM   #10

This kit, and the comments at eTrailer, suggest that the T&C does not come with a plug and play setup. This kit for $150 would be pretty easy to install though.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...leID=201464012