Current top picks for tow vehicle for 21' - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #81

It probably just depends on how much you're willing to put a strain on your Tacoma. That V6 would work too hard for me, which is why I went to the 5.0 V8 F150 SCREW. ( We are switching our Casita out for a 21 this June. ) I also avoided the EgoBoost just due to the complexity of the thing, and the fact that I love the sound of a V8. };^)

We've put over 84,000 "perfect" miles on our 2012 5.0 Coyote F150, zero issues, none...so far...knock on my head...

A correctly adjusted WDH is key for the best ride you can get in the Tacoma, and I mean "correctly". Even with that, I think you'll notice feeling "at the limits" in terms of power and load. Heck, give it a go and see, it might be just fine, and you already own it !
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:51 PM   #82

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
Hello all, and thanks to everyone who took the time to convey their experiences and ideas.

My wife and I currently drive a 2014 Tacoma with a small fiberglass camper, and are considering changing to the Escape 21 sometime in the next year or so. The truck has the full tow package, which I chose to more effectively deal with the camper weight. I also installed air bags for the same reason. Towing capacity is as I recall is around 6500 lbs. With the camper, we average around 15 mpg on long trips that include some but not extensive mountains.

Anyway, our choice in this issue is whether we keep the Toyota and try it as a TV, or try to sell it as a package with the camper, and replace it with a V8 truck, most likely a Tundra or F150 (the EB only if the valve fouling issue gets sorted effectively before we are in the market). At this point, we lean toward just using a good WD anti sway hitch, and seeing how the Tacoma behaves, but I am interested in other's thoughts on this specific decision.
Your challenge will be with payload and not exceeding it. The 4.0 in your Tacoma is a better towing engine than the new 3.5 (personal experience towing with both). I was in the same situation and ultimately moved to a Tundra. Haven't regretted the decision. A larger truck isn't necessary, but it can make the driving part more enjoyable and less stressful because of its capabilities.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #83

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
Your challenge will be with payload and not exceeding it. The 4.0 in your Tacoma is a better towing engine than the new 3.5 (personal experience towing with both). I was in the same situation and ultimately moved to a Tundra. Haven't regretted the decision. A larger truck isn't necessary, but it can make the driving part more enjoyable and less stressful because of its capabilities.
The payload issue is exactly the reason I upgraded from a Tacoma to a Tundra when we got our 21. Our 2014 Double Cab Tacoma, with tow package, w/ step bars only had a payload of 1050lbs. This was stated on the door sticker. With a tounge weight of upward 500lbs, 350 for me and the wife and 150 for a truck cap and there was not much left for anything else. Have been more than happy with the Tundra. I have the double cab with the 4.6 engine. Picked up 435 lbs of payload over the Tacoma same tow rating, I can live with that.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #84

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
How much does the camper weigh and what is your cargo capacity weight wise.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:44 PM   #85

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Thanks everyone for the prompt and thoughtful replies. The issues you raise so far are pretty consistent with my expectations.

On the issue of payload, I am sure that our camper and gear normally exceeds the listed payload by up to 400 lbs or so, hence the air bags as well as my conservative approach in driving the combo. This overload takes the truck to only 107% of GVWR, so it is unlikely to have serious impacts on vehicle behaviour. My actual experience with the payload I carry with the camper is that the vehicle behaves perfectly fine under all conditions I have driven in. I have never felt that the truck was either underpowered, or influenced in an unreasonable way in behaviour on the highway. We have many times had the rig over high passes in the Northwest US with absolutely no issues either climbing or descending long grades.
The rig travels with virtually no response steering wise to pretty violent cross winds or significant bumps or rolls in the road surface - hats off to the designers of the Tacoma suspension. The combo also corners under predictable and excellent control for me. There is no doubt a loss in emergency stopping distance, but that has not been a problem for me in over 20 years and three Tacomas so far, and, in any case, any loss due to overload here probably pales in comparison with the influence of road and tire conditions. Anyone driving the highways up here in the winter better be comfortable with a lot less braking that I have with the camper on dry paved roads.

All that said, I agree that it is possible that we might be close to or over the listed payload capacity of the Tacoma, but my experience with the camper leads me to not be too worried about that for the time being. I expect that the other operational limitations imposed by the trailer will overshadow any influence of the truck being a bit heavy.

As far as needing to work the Tacoma harder than a bigger truck, I expect that with the good synthetic lube I can buy and regular maintenance, the truck will do fine with hard work. Whether I can stand listening to it working that hard is more likely the issue.

One issue not mentioned yet in response to my missive is braking. I am assuming that the trailer brakes are happy to do all the braking for the trailer on long steep downhills - if that is not the case, and the truck has to assume extra braking load to deal with the high passes, I would likely not be happy - we like to travel to some pretty hilly places. I am prepared to climb slowly, but not to have control issues on the way down.

Anyway, thanks again for your thoughtful responses. This forum is yet another example of the good things we can both accomplish and enjoy as a result of internet communication. A fine thing in my books.

Cheers,

Allan Edie
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:00 PM   #86

Trailer: 2014 time out
Is there anyone on this site towing an Escape 21 with a current AWD Honda RIdgeline?
james p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:18 PM   #87

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
... My wife and I currently drive a 2014 Tacoma ....
This may be just me, but if you like your 2014 Tacoma, I'd hang onto it until you know it won't do what you need. Reliability of the remodeled Tacoma has dropped considerably (latest Consumer Reports). You're unlikely to get a good Tacoma back if you let go of the one you have, so be absolutely sure you want to depart with it before you do. Again, just me saying...
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:07 PM   #88

Hey, thanks for that. I hadn't heard about the newer Tacomas. Do you know what the weak points of the models are?

We have had the 2014 since new, and it so far has been perfect - exceeded hopes in every respect, camper or no.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:23 PM   #89

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by james p View Post
Is there anyone on this site towing an Escape 21 with a current AWD Honda RIdgeline?
I thought about a Ridgeline when we were picking a TV but it's only rated at 5000 lbs towing capacity if I remember right and a loaded 21 comes a little too close for my comfort. Ended up with a Canyon diesel rated at 7700 lbs.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #90

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I don't think we are all in agreement on that -- I am happy with my Highlander, pulling my 21 through all 48 states in the past few years. and I know that several others have been happy pulling with Honda Ridgelines, 4Runners, and other vehicles with a 5000 lb tow capacity.
I think it helps you due to your "classic" 21 that as I recall is a couple hundred or more pounds lighter than the new 2017 style most people are buying today.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #91

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Hey, thanks for that. I hadn't heard about the newer Tacomas. Do you know what the weak points of the models are? We have had the 2014 since new, and it so far has been perfect - exceeded hopes in every respect, camper or no.
Allan, I'm going to send you a link by private message because I don't want to start another battle royal over Consumer Reports (believers vs. non-believers) that could totally hijack this thread. Suffice it to say that, while Toyota tops the new CR reliability rankings, the remodeled Tacoma bottoms all 14 models in the current Toyota lineup.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #92

A wise fellow about forum wars. Amazing what some individuals get backs well and truly up over.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:41 PM   #93

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
..... battle royal over Consumer Reports (believers vs. non-believers) that could totally hijack this thread..
Wise man. I've learned that same lesson here...

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:53 AM   #94

Trailer: looking to purchase 21 foot
what kind off mpg do you get with your ford ,looking to buy 2018 ecoboost 3.5,or 2.7
just not sure yet,
Barylski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #95

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barylski View Post
what kind off mpg do you get with your ford ,looking to buy 2018 ecoboost 3.5,or 2.7

just not sure yet,

My 2016 F150 2.7 has gotten at least 13.5 and as good as 16.5 towing my 5.0 TA throughout New England, and I don't have to use the slow lane. I can do 22 mpg highway not towing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #96

Choosing the larger engine when considering towing is a tricky trade-off. If you'll do much more non-towing driving, get the smaller engine ? The larger motor might work less when towing and even give you better fuel economy when towing.

( I'd rather have the extra power when I need it than not have it and need it. )
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #97
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
My 2016 F150 2.7 has gotten at least 13.5 and as good as 16.5 towing my 5.0 TA throughout New England, and I don't have to use the slow lane. I can do 22 mpg highway not towing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I do slightly better not towing. Average towing mileage is similar to yours, about 15.2 mpg. Non towing averages 25, with an even mix of freeways at 65 mph and secondary roads at 55 mph. 2015, non 4wd, 2.7L EcoBoost.

There are very few if any tradeoffs with the F150 EcoBoost. Good fuel economy, passing is a snap, plenty of reserve power even on steep grades, and the cabin comfort is superb. I'm sticking with it next March when my current lease is up. There's just nothing better out there imho.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #98

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
When looking for a tow vehicle to tow around a new $40,000 trailer
safety , ability to tow , braking , payload etc would be at the top of my list. MPG'S would be somewhere far down my list , probably on the last page . No one gets hurt or killed by the loss of a few MPG'S.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #99

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...w-ratings.html

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/tow...-the-standard/

Valuable reading about the new towing standard from, imagine that, actual automotive engineers!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #100

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
Choosing the larger engine when considering towing is a tricky trade-off. If you'll do much more non-towing driving, get the smaller engine ? The larger motor might work less when towing and even give you better fuel economy when towing.

( I'd rather have the extra power when I need it than not have it and need it. )
The 2.7 makes 375 foot lbs of tq at 3000 rpm. When towing the rpm rarely goes above 2500.
Including steep grades at 60 mph. This motor is NOT working hard pulling My 5.0TA. On a side note no one ever seems to bring up axle ratio. My truck is equipped with 3.55. If you went with 3.73 you can get a 7900 lb tow rating. Probably at a slight mpg disadvantage.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote