Equalizer hitch w sway control bar - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2020, 06:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Thumbs up Equalizer hitch w sway control bar

we are going to have to get the new '21' deliverd. Does anyone know if y have any info on the hitch above ..incl pix of it installed. I am also looking for a good instructional YT video. What exact brand is being used on the E21s?? Please help.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
we are going to have to get the new '21' deliverd. Does anyone know if y have any info on the hitch above ..incl pix of it installed. I am also looking for a good instructional YT video. What exact brand is being used on the E21s?? Please help.
The Husky 32215 Center Line TS is a much better choice. Less expensive and better made.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-06-2020, 06:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I been shopping the the husky 32215
https://www.rvautoparts.com/32215-Hu...r_p_31575.html
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I been shopping the the husky 32215
https://www.rvautoparts.com/32215-Hu...r_p_31575.html
Even with the shipping - That is a good price!
Old 05-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I may have to order one for $281, Amazon charges sales taxes which is 6% so that is $18 savings plus the $19, 3 cases of beer.......
Old 05-17-2020, 09:09 AM   #6

Equalizer Hitsh w sway control??

STILL attempting to get pix of and a how-to video of that darn hitch we ordered. The Bill of Sale lists it as:
.................................................. .................................................. .................
Equalizer Hitch (Pro-Series 600lb Trunion) with Sway Control Bar (pro-series)
*not compatible with vehicles which have the Air Leveling Suspension System"
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
I am also trying to get info from Karl at ETI. It seems so difficult to get this info, We plan to have the receiving dealer in AZ work us thru the hitch I guess. Any pix of it wd help!!
Old 05-17-2020, 09:51 AM   #7

Some things may have to wait until installation by dealer or until you arrive home....we are operating while in a crisis situation and some things are not as normal as we wish.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:57 AM   #8

Exclamation yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Some things may have to wait until installation by dealer or until you arrive home....we are operating while in a crisis situation and some things are not as normal as we wish.
Yup CPAHARLEY I agree, wh is why we are going to be finally taking delivery at a Off Road Trailer dealer in Lk Havasu City AZ. next month. .he will in all likelihood, be able to 'walk me thru' the hitch setup which is supposed to already BE on the trailer tongue.
I just like seeing things ahead if time so I at least have enuf knowledge to ask a relevant ??. Personally I hate surprises.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:06 AM   #9

I doubt it will be on the trailer's tongue as each set up is tow vehicle specific for brackets. It will more than likely be in a box on the trailer's floor inside and the dealer will wait until you arrive to install on your truck and then on the trailer. There are maybe 2 dozen parts some for your hitch and some for mounting brackets on the trailer frame.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #10

Quote:
I doubt it will be on the trailer's tongue as each set up is tow vehicle specific for brackets. It will more than likely be in a box on the trailer's floor inside and the dealer will wait until you arrive to install on your truck and then on the trailer. There are maybe 2 dozen parts some for your hitch and some for mounting brackets on the trailer frame.
Thx..we had to send to ETI the receiver height unloaded and 'loaded' w a typical 'camping load' in the truck..so they could set up the hitch as much as possible..I guess. I will continue to search for a relevant video.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:21 AM   #11

Any weight distribution hitch video will work, it does not need to be specific to yours. As long as the adjustments are similar, such as changing the head pivot angle via washers or some other method. Then it is just a matter of putting it together, adjusting the pivot angle, installing brackets on the trailer and hooking up. A set of tools will be needed. I suggest a power jack which will make it easier to raise and lower the trailer which is done several times during the install, maybe an hour of time.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:54 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Even with the shipping - That is a good price!
Yes, however they are accused of advertising things as "in stock" when that is not true. I called them about a part and turned out they did not have it. Unless ordering from etrailer or amazon I would call first.https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/rvautoparts.com
Old 05-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
STILL attempting to get pix of and a how-to video of that darn hitch we ordered. The Bill of Sale lists it as:
.................................................. .................................................. .................
Equalizer Hitch (Pro-Series 600lb Trunion) with Sway Control Bar (pro-series)
The trick here is to know that, despite the description, this is not an Equal-i-zer hitch at all.
That description is of Pro Series Towing part #49585, and that product web page has a link to the installation instructions (plus videos, etc).
The sway control device is sold with the WDH as a set, but is a separate product: Reese #83660 (or the same thing with a "Pro Series" label). Again, instructions and videos are linked on the web page.

Quote:
*not compatible with vehicles which have the Air Leveling Suspension System
I wouldn't worry about that: even if you have an auto-leveling air suspension system, follow the vehicle manufacturer's guidance, which will probably be fine with use of the WDH. The installation instructions for that specific weight distributing hitch do not prohibit or even discourage the use of this system with air suspension; they just say
Quote:
For vehicles with air springs, air shocks or an automatic leveling system, check vehicle owners manual.
I assume ETI staff just don't want to deal with the setup process with an auto-leveling suspension.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:10 AM   #14

Still looking

Anybody who had a trailer DELIVERED recently ..was the WDH/S bar setup ON it at delivery OR did the hitch "come inna BOX"?
Old 05-20-2020, 10:00 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I have remote controlled air bags on my F250 and I simply set them to 5lb when using my Equal-I-zer 1000 hitch.

I think Equalizer is becoming sort of a default name for most WDH.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:14 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19 2020
Quote:
Anybody who had a trailer DELIVERED recently ..was the WDH/S bar setup ON it at delivery OR did the hitch "come inna BOX"?
We just picked up our 19 last week, delivered to Tracy, about a 100 mile drive from where we live. The WDH we ordered was a Fastaway E2 Trunnion style, Mod# 92-00-0600. Escape had asked for the measurement from ground to inside bottom of receiver on truck. It was all set up to that measurement and was fairly easy to hitch up. There was a couple from Sacramento that was also taking delivery on a 21', had the same hitch, so we worked thru it together. I'm gonna go thru and check the torque on the hitch, as it seems to have a little play in it, but the truck and trailer looked level when I hitched up, so it is close. Brackets were mounted on trailer, trunnion bars and hitch head were in a box under the bed, manual in one of the kitchen drawers.

Larry
LarryLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #17

So just the brackets were frame mounted, everything else in a box.....under the bed....your hitch height is 19" from the ground, standard on the Escape.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:34 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 19 2020
Quote:
So just the brackets were frame mounted, everything else in a box.....under the bed....your hitch height is 19" from the ground, standard on the Escape.
Bars were wrapped in bubble wrap, its a pretty beefy set up. Fastway has an excellent video on YouTube that goes over the installation set-up process btw. I think you can also access it thru their website.
LarryLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:57 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 21NE
So does anyone have input on the difference between the Equalizer with Sway Control vs the E2 Fastway setup? is one easier? the E2 video says you don't have to disconnect to back up or turn sharply.

Also what about weight of these different setups? Noisiness of one over another?
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:05 PM   #20

Schedule??

Since we had to chg all plans, we decided on delivery in Lk Havasu @ Lead Dog Motrors.. Randy said they wd teach us how to set up any WD hitch that came w the 21, so I decided to quit bothering ETi with it and watch videos on YT. . WE're head'en out next week and not gonna worry about the heat..its only 106* there today..here in TN its in the 80s and 90s but the humidity is the same..as compared to 7% in AZ.