Horrible tire wear on one tire @4k miles - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2023, 02:24 PM   #41

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
We had one tire show excessive wear except it was on the outside of the tire.
Turned out to be the wheel bearing.
As part of maintenance, lift the wheel off the ground and checking for side to side play is a sure way to see if bearings need attention.
The wheel with the excessive wear certainly had side to side play.
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 02:48 PM   #42
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
This thread made me panic. I just checked my 2023 E19 tires with around 3500 miles and they look good. I’ll add a tread check to my air pressure and lug nut torque check procedure. How often do folks check/repack bearings? For may other trailers it’s when I replace tires. (Utility, waverunner, pontoon)
Properly greased bearings should be good for 20,000 miles. But grease can dry out so regardless of milage, servicing the bearings every 3 years might be a good rule of thumb. Since your trailer is new, you might want to pull the drums to check the grease and readjust the bearing preload.

As soon as I got my trailer home, I pulled the drums and inspected the wheel bearings to see if they were properly greased. Escape receives axles with brakes pre-installed, they don't check them for proper grease or adjustment. I had seen comments about bearings with insufficient grease but mine were good. In the spring I used the easy-lube fitting to add some grease to each wheel. Later on in the summer, I pulled one wheel to make sure no grease had gone past the inner seal which could ruin the brake shoes. If I'd been more ambitious I would have done both wheels.

The easy-lube feature is nice but if you aren't careful, grease can seep past the inner seal and contaminate inside the drum.

My opinion only, but I hope that helps.
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 04:38 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

How often do folks check/repack bearings?
Some folks, a way too often.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 04:56 PM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:

How often do folks check/repack bearings? For may other trailers it’s when I replace tires. (Utility, waverunner, pontoon)
Most manufacturers recommend bearings being repacked once year or 10K-12K miles. I'll probably do my first repack late winter/early spring which will be right around 13-14 months and 12K miles. I've gone as long 2 years before on previous trailers and the bearings still looked good. Haven't had a trailer turn into a pumpkin yet
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 07:43 PM   #45

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19 F1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
Most manufacturers recommend bearings being repacked once year or 10K-12K miles. I'll probably do my first repack late winter/early spring which will be right around 13-14 months and 12K miles. I've gone as long 2 years before on previous trailers and the bearings still looked good. Haven't had a trailer turn into a pumpkin yet
For cars, my front bearings on my 02 Suburban were replaced at 100k miles. Can’t remember doing any others and I used to keep cars until VOA towed them away.
Dave Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 08:41 PM   #46
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
For cars, my front bearings on my 02 Suburban were replaced at 100k miles. Can’t remember doing any others and I used to keep cars until VOA towed them away.
I believe auto bearings are sealed where as trailer bearings are not.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:00 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I have my mobile RV mechanic check the wheel bearings and repack about once a year, along with checking the brakes.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 08:55 AM   #48

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19 F1
Assuming I have a 3500 pound Dexter axle, I found the service manual. It’s scary as to the maintenance schedule!

Break inspections at 6 months/6k miles. Complete inspection annually or when coming out of storage.

Also, it’s recommended to store on Jack stands with tires off the ground. And rotate the tires every 2 to 3 weeks.

https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...viceOnline.pdf
Dave Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 10:31 AM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
About 30,000 km on my trailer since the last bearing greasing and I will likely do it in the spring. I have run various trailers for work and pleasure over the years and this type of cycle is typical. Never had an issue.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote