Lock for Andersen ultimate hitch base/rail - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2021, 02:04 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Lock for Andersen ultimate hitch base/rail

Any recommendation for locking Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection?

I have a setup with turnover ball and I drive my truck around with it on all the time, I'm a bit concerned that thieves could easily take away the Ultimate connection ball, maybe the Connection base as well, it'll be just a lot of hassle. TIA!
dragontale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I doubt there's much risk of anyone taking the ball, since it only fits an Andersen Ultimate hitch, although it certainly would be a pain to replace at short notice.

The pin which holds the ball in the top of the base and the pin which anchors the base to the ball in the bed are identical 3-1/3" long by 5/8" diameter pins (Andersen part #3430), so if you can lock one you can lock the other. Common locking receiver pins (such as Andersen part #3294) are the same size, so they should work.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Not planning on locking mine but will cover up with trifold bedcover when unhitched. Mine is rail version rather than turnover ball but I still would be screwed if stolen.
Old 03-20-2021, 07:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I have never locked my Anderson base or the turnover ball in the bed of the truck but I do always keep my bed cover closed when not hitched. Also the thieves would have to have the proper sized socket and a wrench. BTW when my base is not in the truck, the turnover ball is pulled out of its base, flipped and reinserted into the truck bed so its perfectly flush with the bed, it's essentially invisible - are you sure yours doesn't do this? If so, then a thief would have to know how to unlatch it under the truck and reach into the bed to remove it; i.e.: they would have to be quite familiar with the whole system which is unlikely.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I assumed he was driving around with the hitch assembly too, not just the ball
Old 03-20-2021, 08:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Not planning on locking mine but will cover up with trifold bedcover when unhitched. Mine is rail version rather than turnover ball but I still would be screwed if stolen.
To lock hitch bases to rails, Google Durasafe Locks.
Stainless steel so no rust. Somewhat expensive but will provide peace of mind.
Attached Thumbnails
F31EF119-F925-44D9-B5E9-3884B7B66BAF.jpeg  
Old 03-20-2021, 09:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Andersen Ultimate Rail Hitch Lock

I had trouble trying to fit a typical hitch pin lock to my rails. Because the rail pins are so close to the bed many locks designed to fit hitch receivers are to bulky to fit. Finally had to order a Curt lock specific for rails. Even then with the bed liner I had to cut away the liner where the lock fits, similar to cutting the liner for the rail installation.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073V6Z6SZ
Old 03-20-2021, 09:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol5.0 View Post
I had trouble trying to fit a typical hitch pin lock to my rails. Because the rail pins are so close to the bed many locks designed to fit hitch receivers are to bulky to fit. Finally had to order a Curt lock specific for rails. Even then with the bed liner I had to cut away the liner where the lock fits, similar to cutting the liner for the rail installation.
The Durasafe lock photo I posted is designed specifically for locking hitches to rails. They are not sized to fit hitch receivers, although Durasafe also markets receiver locks as well.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
We use these with appropriate combo locks, works for me and fairly inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-58093-F.../dp/B0008FUFR0
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:04 AM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
The Durasafe lock photo I posted is designed specifically for locking hitches to rails. They are not sized to fit hitch receivers, although Durasafe also markets receiver locks as well.
Carl,

Is that lock something you have used and would recommend? We will have Andersen Ultimate on rails - and would like to leave the base in truck as much as possible. So, securing it is an attractive idea.

Many thanks!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Carl,

Is that lock something you have used and would recommend? We will have Andersen Ultimate on rails - and would like to leave the base in truck as much as possible. So, securing it is an attractive idea.

Many thanks!
Yes. I have two of them, one on each rail (diagonally) but one would work. You can also find lockable pin retainers (I think they are made by Reese) which will also work. Far less expensive but more bulky. I think I pad around $50 for the two stainless steel Duralocks (they are keyed alike). Duralock has great customer service. I cannot remember exactly what the lockable pin clips cost but I am sure they were less than $5 or $6 apiece. If you like them, you might try calling eTrailer since I will include a photo. And if you cannot find and want them, send me a PM and your home address.

Edit: After posting, I noticed HarleyD also reference the clips, but whoever is selling them on Amazon seems to be charging an exorbitant price.
Attached Thumbnails
C5433A22-CCA6-45B3-BE9A-508578B68ACA.jpeg  
Old 03-21-2021, 08:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Thank you very much, Carl! I like less bulky And, I too was wondering whether two were a better idea. So, that’s quite useful. I will get a couple for our setup.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:00 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I doubt there's much risk of anyone taking the ball, since it only fits an Andersen Ultimate hitch, although it certainly would be a pain to replace at short notice.

The pin which holds the ball in the top of the base and the pin which anchors the base to the ball in the bed are identical 3-1/3" long by 5/8" diameter pins (Andersen part #3430), so if you can lock one you can lock the other. Common locking receiver pins (such as Andersen part #3294) are the same size, so they should work.
I bought what Brian suggested, just received them today and put them on, it's not very durable lock, just make it a bit harder. It's good enough for me, here is what it looks like
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7666.jpg   IMG_7667.jpg  
dragontale is offline   Reply With Quote