Nissan Titan XD Pro4x / Escape 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2021, 10:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 5.0
Nissan Titan XD Pro4x / Escape 5.0

I have put down a deposit for a 5.0 and just doing my research on what 5th wheel hitch options will work for my truck and the 5.0, Just wondering if anyone has already figured out the best option for the Titan XD Pro4x, My bed height is at max of 58'' just to be clear.

Looks like I have the following options below.

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...cc-onlyreviews
Curt A16 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch for Nissan Titan XD Towing Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 16,000 lbs
Item # C16520-16026

https://www.etrailer.com/p-DM6200.html
Demco 5th Wheel Rail Adapter for Nissan Titan XD OEM 5th Wheel Towing Prep Package - 21,000 lbs
Item # DM6200

https://www.etrailer.com/p-AM3200.html
Andersen Ultimate Connection 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch System with Adapter - 20,000 lbs
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Does that Nissan have the gooseneck ball? Is it a diesel? I recall seeing the Cummins Titan came with a gooseneck removable ball…. If that’s true, get an Anderson hitch that extends that for the fifth wheel.

If not, I’d still suggest looking at Anderson hitches as they will use up less of your payload capacity.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
Does that Nissan have the gooseneck ball? Is it a diesel? I recall seeing the Cummins Titan came with a gooseneck removable ball….
Listing hitch models which specifically fit the "towing prep package" implies that it does have the in-bed ball hitch. I'm pretty sure this is available with both gas and diesel engines.

Quote:
If that’s true, get an Anderson hitch that extends that for the fifth wheel.
Like a Ranch Hitch? Use of extensions like that on the 5.0TA are, unless I'm out of date on this, not endorsed by ETI.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Listing hitch models which specifically fit the "towing prep package" implies that it does have the in-bed ball hitch. I'm pretty sure this is available with both gas and diesel engines.

Like a Ranch Hitch? Use of extensions like that on the 5.0TA are, unless I'm out of date on this, not endorsed by ETI.
No i meant the gooseneck 5th wheel hitch, like:

https://www.campingworld.com/anderse...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sure makes it easy to adapt a gooseneck ball to the 5.0 TA if you already have the ball in the bed.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:26 PM   #5

Quote:
No i meant the gooseneck 5th wheel hitch, like:

https://www.campingworld.com/anderse...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sure makes it easy to adapt a gooseneck ball to the 5.0 TA if you already have the ball in the bed.
Okay, that one's good. I'm a bit surprised it wasn't in the original list - it's more obvious and lighter than the Demco adapter plus rail-mounted Andersen Ultimate. The adapter plus rail-mount would place the ball further from the cab, which may have been the intention.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:59 PM   #6

Thanks for the help and pointing me the direction of the Aluminum Andersen Gooseneck 5th Wheel Hitch, I feel that's the way to go.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Thanks for the help and pointing me the direction of the Aluminum Andersen Gooseneck 5th Wheel Hitch, I feel that's the way to go.
Just check to make sure that the distance from the cab to the Andersen ball and thus the trailer's kingpin will be sufficient, and that the distance from Andersen ball and thus the trailer's kingpin to the back of the box is not excessive.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:48 PM   #8

I guess I really wont no what the distances are until I have the hitch installed unless someone has done this on a Nissan Titan XD and speaks up. I have over a year wait so I got time.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:53 PM   #9

Quote:
I guess I really wont no what the distances are until I have the hitch installed unless someone has done this on a Nissan Titan XD and speaks up. I have over a year wait so I got time.
The Andersen hardware is the same regardless of the truck, so all you need is the distance from the cab to the socket in the truck bed floor... which can be measured on any Titan XD with the in-bed hitch option (or is is standard?). It's usually around the axle line with any brand of truck and hitch, but you can't count on that for any particular truck without checking.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The Andersen hardware is the same regardless of the truck, so all you need is the distance from the cab to the socket in the truck bed floor... which can be measured on any Titan XD with the in-bed hitch option (or is is standard?). It's usually around the axle line with any brand of truck and hitch, but you can't count on that for any particular truck without checking.
What I have to the built in socket puck, Inside is 34'' from the cab and 45'' to the tailgate.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #11

Quote:
What I have to the built in socket puck, Inside is 34'' from the cab and 45'' to the tailgate.
I guess I can/should be able to figure it all out now with the info on the Anderson web page. Thanks again

https://andersenhitches.com/products...tion-base-only
Old 06-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Okay, then the Andersen Ultimate frame will place the ball 6" behind that (40" from the cab, 39" from the tailgate). The usual placement of the Andersen coupler block is behind the pin, so the trailer's king pin will be centred 4" ahead of the Andersen ball centre.

According to Escape's Towing Compatibility Guidelines for the 5.0, that looks reasonable for turning clearance, but they don't consider the slight change due to the pivot point being at the ball rather than the king pin.

But now with the position known other owners with 6.5' box trucks, the 5.0(TA), and an Andersen Ultimate hitch can compare to their setups and comment on both turning clearance and tailgate clearance (whether or not it can be opened with the trailer hitched up).
Old 06-17-2021, 08:08 PM   #13

Quote:
There’s a lot of people on this forum that use them and like them…. I was considering a Titan and thought this hitch would be perfect. No bed rails, use the factory installed mount point.