RAM “Hybrid” with “Unlimited Range” - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2023, 12:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
RAM “Hybrid” with “Unlimited Range”

How about a RAM 1500 with a 3.6L V6 that is not connected to the drive wheels?

It serves to power a generator that charges the batteries that drive a front and rear motor on the 4x4 truck with 600+ hp, 600+ ft lbs of torque, 14,000 lbs tow capacity and 2600 lbs payload.

Coming in 2025.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301979447.html
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 01:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 2022 21 C owner :-D/ '24 RAM 1500 Limited
Bob,

Thank you! This is very intriguing news. I wonder what the price tag will be? There's no mention of it in the article.

Question to self: Do I want to wait another year before I replace my Tacoma, or do I buy something in the next few months?

A YT video of the 2025 RAM:
mresseguie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 10:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Here's a YT that is focused on the 2025 "Ramcharger"

The Ramcharger being the 'battery electric' truck with a gasoline 'range extender' V6 engine which works in series with the electric motors. The gasoline engine serves only as a generator to charge / supplement the batteries, it is not connected to the drivetrain (axles) at all so there is no mechanical transmission / driveshaft in the vehicle. In this configuration the ICE does vary its RPM but likely operates very efficiently in all modes.

This is (obviously) different from anyone else's 'hybrid' / 'BEV' pickup truck approach to date. In current (pardon the pun ) lexicon this is an "e-REV" (electric range-extended vehicle) distinct from a "BEV" (battery electric vehicle), the Ford Lightning, Rivian, and Tesla Cybertruck being examples of the latter.

According to the linked video this truck promises ....
  • Up to ~690 mile range (perhaps relatively realistic since it's generating power as it goes via the gasoline engine)
  • Up to 2625# payload (expect that to be reduced with options and higher-trim levels)
  • Up to 14k pounds towing capacity (again, expect that to be reduced based on options, etc)
In the video the presenter shares his speculative calculation suggesting that the gas tank would need to be ~18 gallons to achieve the promised ~690 mile range starting with a fully charged battery and using the gasoline engine. IF that's in the ballpark, I divide 690 miles by 18 gallons to get an 'effective' net mileage on the order of 38MPG gasoline use. Yes, one should expect some reduction in that range and 'effective MPG' when towing, but likely not nearly the 'range hit' suffered by pure-electric BEV's I think.

Who knows how this will all play-out by the time it's in production in 2025, but IMO this could be an interesting Escape TV alternative.

We'll see .....
Old 11-07-2023, 06:54 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
Here is another source saying a 27 gal fuel tank, so only 20 mpg after the battery is depleted.

Still, this is a very exciting setup and one I will likely shop

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...harger-towing/

Ps: I was hoping that ram would have an exciting replacement for the diesel they dropped. I think this is that replacement.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote