RAV4 Prime Towing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-13-2022, 12:55 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Trailer: 2015 Escape 15A
Posts: 29
RAV4 Prime Towing

Anyone towing a 15' Escape or similar lighter trailer with a RAV4 Prime?
__________________

CathyAndDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 02:25 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 14,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyAndDon View Post
Anyone towing a 15' Escape or similar lighter trailer with a RAV4 Prime?
With an 1,134 kg (2,500 lb) towing capacity, even a 15' Escape could be too much.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 04:40 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Trailer: 2015 Escape 15A
Posts: 29
Thanks.

Thanks Brian. I've weighed the 15A a couple times on different scales with most of our camp gear. 1760lbs and 1920 lbs. Tongue weight 180 and 190 lbs. We've been pulling it with a 2012 Outback (tow capacity 2700 lbs) but Outback tongue load is 200 lbs max. The Rav4Prime has tongue load of 250 lbs max so that combined with the extra HP and newer safety features seems like it could be a safer replacement for the 10 year old Subie.
CathyAndDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 04:20 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 14,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyAndDon View Post
I've weighed the 15A a couple times on different scales with most of our camp gear. 1760lbs and 1920 lbs. Tongue weight 180 and 190 lbs.
That's lighter than I would have guessed - there probably isn't much gear in that. Now, check to ensure that the total combination of the SUV with passengers and cargo plus the trailer doesn't exceed the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) for the SUV... which is 8030 pounds according to the owner's manual. You may not be able to tow the maximum rated trailer weight while also carrying passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle, without exceeding GCWR... but with a curb weight of about 4300 pounds, trailer at about 2000 pounds, and GCWR over 8000 pounds, that leaves lots for passengers and cargo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyAndDon View Post
We've been pulling it with a 2012 Outback (tow capacity 2700 lbs) but Outback tongue load is 200 lbs max. The Rav4Prime has tongue load of 250 lbs max so that combined with the extra HP and newer safety features seems like it could be a safer replacement for the 10 year old Subie.
Probably true.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 02:37 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Trailer: 2015 Escape 15A
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's lighter than I would have guessed - there probably isn't much gear in that. Now, check to ensure that the total combination of the SUV with passengers and cargo plus the trailer doesn't exceed the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) for the SUV... which is 8030 pounds according to the owner's manual. You may not be able to tow the maximum rated trailer weight while also carrying passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle, without exceeding GCWR... but with a curb weight of about 4300 pounds, trailer at about 2000 pounds, and GCWR over 8000 pounds, that leaves lots for passengers and cargo.


Probably true.
Thanks! I think we're fine on the gross weight--2 0f us combined weigh 260 lbs. ANd we never tow with water in tank.
It took 4 months on a waiting list but finally purchased a Rav4 Prime (R4P). We just did 1200 mile round trip into Alberta and BC. Averaged 20 mpg towing the 15' with head winds and AC blasting at 65-70 mph. R4P gets 38 mpg w/o towing and Plug-In gives us 40 miles all electric before the internal combustion hybrid engine kicks in.
CathyAndDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:54 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Whidbey Island, Washington
Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Posts: 2,430
I towed a lighter 15A- (no water tanks, no sink) with a 2012 Forester. Towing capacity 2400. No problem towing but I had to keep the tongue weight light and make sure I wasn't overloading the trailer- but not too light or I'd get sway. I weighed it just once at 2000 lbs. I carried about 220 on the tongue (supposed to be 200) that time. It's do-able but mine was a manual transmission which gave me a lot more pep on hills than some vehicles. Don't know about the new Rav4s. The V6 would have worked fine. I eventually got tired of calculating weights and carefully checking the tongue weight. If the Rav4 allows for 12-15% on the tongue it might be better. Doesn't the Rav4 Adventure allow 3500 lbs?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:02 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Hampton, Virginia
Trailer: None
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
. Doesn't the Rav4 Adventure allow 3500 lbs?
I believe yes the adventure does allow 3500 lb but I donít think thereís any hybrid adventures and since these folks have a Prime aka, plug in hybrid, Iím guessing thatís pretty important to them
__________________

Sean2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×