Researching 17b + 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4 door - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2023, 09:24 AM   #1

Trailer: None yet
Researching 17b + 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4 door

Hi! My husband and I took our first road trip together, camped with my brother and caught the bug. I previously owned a Casita, love fiberglass campers and how well they hold their value. I like the Escape floor plan better!

We have a 2021 4 door Jeep Wrangler. Tow capacity 3500 lbs. Based on research, experience and numbers, it looks like we'd be right at 3000 once loaded.

I searched the threads and couldn't find any: posts after 2018 Wranglers. Jeep improved tow capacity since then

Does anyone tow a 17b with a newer Wrangler? Advice before we get more excited about our next camping trip?

TYIA, Liz
NJLizzieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 11:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 21NE
In 2020, I rented a 17b for a month from a fellow who towed it with a wrangler. I don't know the year of either or if the Wrangler had been modified. I just looked at pictures from the trip and it doesn't look like there was any WDH hardware mounted on the trailer frame.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 12:24 PM   #3

Thanks Bob! I think we're going to be ok since my Jeep's GVWR is a little over 8000lbs (checked the owner's manual instead of the internet) 350lb Tongue Weight. I just want to make sure and confirm with anyone pulling a 17B. I lived in Tacoma for a few years btw. I miss the Mountain and no humidity this time of year. Thanks again, Liz
Old 07-16-2023, 02:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
You should have no problem with a 17’ as long as you’re careful what you bring. We actually towed our 19’ with my 2013 wrangler 4 door and it was fine. Our 19 is very lightly optioned and scales at a bit under 3400 lbs with empty tanks but otherwise ready to camp. Payload of the wrangler was a bit of a challenge with just me, my wife, the kids in the back seat and the trailer tongue weight pretty much using it all up.

I installed air bags inside the rear coil springs to firm up the suspension which was an improvement but otherwise it was stock. We did several trips through the mountains to the west coast and I thought the wrangler handled the trailer very well. Not a surprise really given the 4 door’s reasonably long wheelbase for a midsized suv and very short distance between the rear axle and the hitch. Power with the 3.6 pentastar v6 was adequate but needed high rpms for the hills.

Ultimately, as much as I loved driving the wrangler locally and offroad, we decided to trade for a more comfortable tow vehicle that was less fatiguing on longer trips. Mainly we wanted a quieter cabin with more comfortable seats, particularly for the kids in the back seat, and also wanted a vehicle with more power at lower rpms and a higher towing capacity and payload.

You should check your door sticker for your gvwr - no way it’s 8000lbs. Maybe that was the gcwr (vehicle + trailer)? Interestingly for people who want to tow with a wrangler, the 2024 wrangler rubicon can now be configured to have a 5000 lb tow rating. Not sure if there was any improvement in payload though.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 04:36 PM   #5

Thank you for all the feedback, Michael. And I meant total combined weight is just over 8k. Tow capacity is 3500. We're driving home right now so using my phone, researching and navigating all at the same time. At least I am not driving!
Old 07-16-2023, 07:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Hi Liz. Not sure how you all have your Wrangler setup, but the fellow who bought our Rpod had a Wrangler that had oversized tires, including the spare. When he came to take delivery, the hitch (Fastway E2) didn't extend far enough and the spare tire interfered with the trailer jack.

Just something to check.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 07:57 PM   #7

I will check for sure, thank you!!!
Old 07-17-2023, 08:54 AM   #8

PS we looked up the 2024 Rubicon, emailed our Jeep salesperson, and will trade up as soon as she gets one in stock if needed. Also on our way to look at a 2014 17b. Fingers crossed!!!!
Old 07-18-2023, 09:50 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJLizzieH View Post
PS we looked up the 2024 Rubicon, emailed our Jeep salesperson, and will trade up as soon as she gets one in stock if needed. Also on our way to look at a 2014 17b. Fingers crossed!!!!
Liz: Nice to see someone else from NJ. Not many of us on the forum. Hope that 17B works out for you. If it's in good shape and a fair price then jump on it. You don't see many up for sale on the east coast.
Old 07-18-2023, 07:46 PM   #10

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
We have a 2021 4 door Jeep Wrangler. Tow capacity 3500 lbs. Based on research, experience and numbers, it looks like we'd be right at 3000 once loaded. I searched the threads and couldn't find any: posts after 2018 Wranglers. Jeep improved tow capacity since then. Does anyone tow a 17b with a newer Wrangler? Advice before we get more excited about our next camping trip?
TYIA, Liz
Liz, my Toyota Sienna also has a 3500 tow capacity. Many folks on the forum warned me against using it to tow, but as I love my van and the fact that I could remove all of the back seats then store everything needed in for long term traveling, I took the plunge. You may or may not end up deciding as I did, but if so, you might later decide to use the Husky Center Line TX with Spring Bars (or similar getup) to tow. After the warnings, I just wasn't comfortable with the thought of towing my new Escape from Chilliwack and over the mountains back to Houston without that precaution.

If you were closer, I'd love to show you my 17B, now up for sale. As it is, all I can say is use your best judgement , balance your load, and be careful not to overload. You're in for a treat! God bless!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 07:27 AM   #11

Hi! I love your area of NJ! The 2014 was in great shape but we decided to buy new instead. We put the deposit down last night! So excited!!! Do you have any recommendations for NJ campgrounds? We should have her in September so we're looking to get a couple of weekends away to get acquainted.
Old 07-19-2023, 07:29 AM   #12

Thanks for the information Ava. We're doing it! If needed, we'll trade in my Jeep for the 2024 Rubicon with 5000lb towing capacity. Either way, I think we're going to be okay too.

Now we just need to name her!

Liz
Old 07-19-2023, 09:05 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 E19
Wow, only two months wait for a new 17? Was that a full custom order, in other words you filled out the build sheet, or was it an upcoming production slot with preset options? It wasn't but maybe a year ago that ordering that trailer would've been an 18month or more wait.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 09:15 AM   #14

I know!!! We were expecting 18 months! Our salesperson, Jodi, found one in production that way nearly perfect and at a point the extras we wanted were still possible. If not, she said October for a new build. Still not too bad. Fingers crossed speed doesn't impact quality of work. But we have all the good feels about it.
Old 07-19-2023, 09:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Hi! I love your area of NJ! The 2014 was in great shape but we decided to buy new instead. We put the deposit down last night! So excited!!! Do you have any recommendations for NJ campgrounds? We should have her in September so we're looking to get a couple of weekends away to get acquainted.
As you probably know our state campgrounds have no services and minimal improvements so you have to be prepared as such. I gravitate to areas with water since I usually have at least a canoe or kayak along. I like Atsion Family Campground down in Wharton State Forest right on the lake and Worthington State Park up north along the Delaware River. At Atsion you can hike the nearby Batona Trail and at Worthington you can hike a spur trail up to the AT. I have also stayed at Spruce Run right on the lake. Belleplain looks pretty nice too if you rather be near the shore. I scoped it out but never camped there. As far as private campgrounds I don't frequent those too often but I have friends that like The Depot in West Cape May, The Great Divide up in Newton and Wading Pines down in Chatsworth. Alot of good camping around. It all depends on what you are looking for.
Old 07-19-2023, 10:07 AM   #16

Trailer: 2019 E19
Quote:
I know!!! We were expecting 18 months! Our salesperson, Jodi, found one in production that way nearly perfect and at a point the extras we wanted were still possible. If not, she said October for a new build. Still not too bad. Fingers crossed speed doesn't impact quality of work. But we have all the good feels about it.
Even a wait of 3mos for a full custom build is nothing. When we first started looking back in the summer of 2020, before the post COVID surge really took off, the lead times were longer. Its nice that you can basically get a custom trailer with a minimal wait. Of course I'm sure its not nice for ETI who's had to lay workers off due to the slow down.
Congrats on the new trailer purchase!
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 09:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
As you probably know our state campgrounds have no services and minimal improvements so you have to be prepared as such. I gravitate to areas with water since I usually have at least a canoe or kayak along. I like Atsion Family Campground down in Wharton State Forest right on the lake and Worthington State Park up north along the Delaware River. At Atsion you can hike the nearby Batona Trail and at Worthington you can hike a spur trail up to the AT. I have also stayed at Spruce Run right on the lake. Belleplain looks pretty nice too if you rather be near the shore. I scoped it out but never camped there. As far as private campgrounds I don't frequent those too often but I have friends that like The Depot in West Cape May, The Great Divide up in Newton and Wading Pines down in Chatsworth. Alot of good camping around. It all depends on what you are looking for.
WOW!! Thank you so much! I prefer state or campgrounds over private but am open to whatever makes sense. I am looking for quiet, hiking and on or near water, but not necessarily the "shore". Camping for me is about getting closing to nature and my sweet husband. Phones off, no TV, etc.
Old 07-20-2023, 09:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberman View Post
Even a wait of 3mos for a full custom build is nothing. When we first started looking back in the summer of 2020, before the post COVID surge really took off, the lead times were longer. Its nice that you can basically get a custom trailer with a minimal wait. Of course I'm sure its not nice for ETI who's had to lay workers off due to the slow down.
Congrats on the new trailer purchase!
For sure! I am glad businesses are rebounding all over. And I can't wait to see pictures from production. She's going to be so cute!
Old 07-26-2023, 10:04 AM   #19

Smile

Thank you for all the feedback. We traded in our Jeep Wrangler for a Chevy Colorado Z71. We can tow worry free!!!
Old 07-26-2023, 05:41 PM   #20

Trailer: 2011 17B; Prior-2009 Escape-13B
Good decision

glad you decided to get a vehicle with larger towing capacity. I just got notice of this thread through the newsletter and was going to add my experience, which supports your recent decision.
I towed my 2011 17B with my 2008 Lexus Rx400h with a 3,500 towing capacity; the guy I bought the Lexus from had towed the same trailer just a more recent year. However, my mechanic said I was ok if I just went a few times in the summer but that it would strain the car too much to tow often. If I could've afforded a new vehicle, I was eying a Toyota Highlander.
So, good decision to upgrade your tow vehicle.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
17b escape, jeep, wrangler