Solo traveler helpers / tips - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2023, 01:42 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
If I didn't have that piece of tape I'd have to get married.
Tape is much cheaper.

Quote:
I painted the flat top of the trailer ball with white appliance enamel, figuring that part of the ball doesn't appear to touch anything. This makes it easier to see it go under the trailer's coupler via the backup camera.
Your back up camera must be better than mine. I put yellow tape on the coupler but most times, maybe because of shadows, it just doesn't show up.

So where's your next major trip going?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:47 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Tape is much cheaper.

So where's your next major trip going?

Ron
I'm on a trip now-- I'm wandering around New Mexico. In mid-April I'll move into Utah for a while then make a "go / no go" decision in early May on whether to continue, as I have no reservations after then.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:35 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
I have a wife.

But I prefer to hook up by myself. I use Hitching Sticks . In dark campsite backing in I have solar motion sensing lights wit magnets on them one each corner of trailer bumper.

I also have battery road flairs. I put where I want the back of trailer to be and just line up with them

My wife says nothing but Stop if I am going to bump something. No directions from her.

After I get parked the solar lights are placed around and under the trailer so when we come back at night we can see our footing.

If we get turned around in the dark finding our trailer in a big campground we look on our phone for the AirTag that is on the trailer. And get a map back to the trailer.

I travel alone a lot while hunting not with the trailer but with my wall tent. I always carry a InReach device in case of trouble in remote areas. It goes on every trip with us.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:28 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
I have a wife.

But I prefer to hook up by myself. I use Hitching Sticks . In dark campsite backing in I have solar motion sensing lights wit magnets on them one each corner of trailer bumper.

I also have battery road flairs. I put where I want the back of trailer to be and just line up with them

My wife says nothing but Stop if I am going to bump something. No directions from her.

After I get parked the solar lights are placed around and under the trailer so when we come back at night we can see our footing.

If we get turned around in the dark finding our trailer in a big campground we look on our phone for the AirTag that is on the trailer. And get a map back to the trailer.

I travel alone a lot while hunting not with the trailer but with my wall tent. I always carry a InReach device in case of trouble in remote areas. It goes on every trip with us.
Some great tips, might you share the source of the solar magnetic lights ? The AirTag tip is great as I have one in my trailer.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:38 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
I'm on a trip now-- I'm wandering around New Mexico. In mid-April I'll move into Utah for a while then make a "go / no go" decision in early May on whether to continue, as I have no reservations after then.
There is always Osoyoos Rally in the Valley in May, we really look forward to attending and meeting other owners......
Old 03-21-2023, 11:28 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There is always Osoyoos Rally in the Valley in May, we really look forward to attending and meeting other owners......
If everything is still going well in early May I'll call to see if there are any sites left at the Osoyoos Rally.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:59 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 15B
Swift Hitch Camera

The swift hitch camera is the most useful gizmo I have purchased for solo travel. I use it to connect my trailer to the tow vehicle, as a rear view mirror stuck to the back window of the trailer and to see exactly where my tire is on levelling block without having to get out of vehicle to look. It has a magnetic foot or you can set it on any flat surface. There is a suction cup mount for the back window.
scoram is offline   Reply With Quote