tongue weight - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2021, 11:10 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021
tongue weight

Hello, could someone tell me the dry tongue weight for the 21ne.

As always thanks so much for your continued support.

Johnny V
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe the Escape Trailer Ind home page has some weights posted...
Old 02-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #3

Will check, thx !
Old 02-03-2021, 08:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I would not use the weight on the web site for the 21 NE . Escape does not have a scale and when they built the 21 NE they listed the trailer with all the same weights as the 21C. I asked about this last year and they where planning to update the weights once they had the correct info. I see this has not happened yet. The 21 NE should Have more tongue weight than the 21c. I am sure it also does not weight the exact weight as the 21C.My guess is it weights less as it has less wood and smaller bath. Maybe a member has weighed there trailer and could jump in and post there results. of course different options add different weight . one could assume if the trailer is 4000lbs it would Be 400-450lbs. But this is just a guess.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:23 PM   #5

Thx Billy !
Old 02-03-2021, 09:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I would not use the weight on the web site for the 21 NE . Escape does not have a scale and when they built the 21 NE they listed the trailer with all the same weights as the 21C. I asked about this last year and they where planning to update the weights once they had the correct info. I see this has not happened yet. The 21 NE should Have more tongue weight than the 21c.
Why do you think a 21 NE should have more tongue weight than a 21c? With a 21c you have the bed and under bed storage and the largest bathroom of any ETI trailer all up front. Doesn't make sense. Also, how do you know ETI "does not have a scale"?
Old 02-03-2021, 09:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
There is a truck stop with a scale about a block away from ETI, if they don't have their own.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Escape 19 has the lowest tongue weight % of any Escape trailer and the 21 NE is a stretched 19. Trailer sway is probably the leading cause of trailer accidents. It is almost impossible to have too light tongue weight on a 21c, whereas there has been more than on reported accident with a 19 due to rollover after violent sway.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:02 PM   #9

That's encouraging.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Why do you think a 21 NE should have more tongue weight than a 21c? With a 21c you have the bed and under bed storage and the largest bathroom of any ETI trailer all up front. Doesn't make sense. Also, how do you know ETI "does not have a scale"?
They told me they dint have a scale when I questioned the weight of the trailer That they had listed identical as the 21C. I thought it was odd they where the same as 21 c . I thought maybe it was a misprint on websiteg.21NE and 21c both have the bathroom in front of the axle. the 21 NE has 125lbs of batteries way up front the 21 NE has larger windows up front. the 21 NE the larger u shaped dinette up front .It appears the 21 has more weight behind the axle This is just my thinking maybe I am wrong. My point was not to use the info on the website. as Its not correct. I think we can all agree they didn't happen to build the trailer and it come out to the same weight to the pound as the 21c. being this info was posted before the first trailer was built . I assume they used these for a starting point and has never been corrected.need some owners to post some real weights.

Quote:
Escape 19 has the lowest tongue weight % of any Escape trailer and the 21 NE is a stretched 19. Trailer sway is probably the leading cause of trailer accidents. It is almost impossible to have too light tongue weight on a 21c, whereas there has been more than on reported accident with a 19 due to rollover after violent sway.

correct the 19 does , but you adding 2 foot more trailer up front and heaver windows and u shape dinette. everything behind the axles stays the same . so just because the layout is the same the tongue weight will be greater on the 21NE.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:00 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
I received my 19 last June. I was unable to get the WDH setup so it towed well. I wonder if it's because the tongue is too light. I was planning on running it on the CAT scale this spring as we have some longer trips planed. Last year was just local trips.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:35 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Tongue weight is not a static number.
Tongue weight varies based on how you load your trailer.
Everything you load in front of the front axle increases the tongue weight.
Everything you load rear of the rear axle decreases the tongue weight.
If people had sway problems with the Escape 19, it is likely because they loaded up the storage under the bed which is rear of the rear axle. The under bed storage on the 21NE is also rear of the rear axle.
The only tongue weight number that is important is the tongue weight of the loaded trailer.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Tongue weight is not a static number.
Tongue weight varies based on how you load your trailer.
Everything you load in front of the front axle increases the tongue weight.
Everything you load rear of the rear axle decreases the tongue weight.
If people had sway problems with the Escape 19, it is likely because they loaded up the storage under the bed which is rear of the rear axle. The under bed storage on the 21NE is also rear of the rear axle.
The only tongue weight number that is important is the tongue weight of the loaded trailer.

You hit the nail on the head. Jon Vermiye has been keeping the fiberglass rv weight list up to date . Real world weights . This is very helpful in estimating you weights
http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xlsx
unfortunately there is no 21NE on there. But lots of 21c and you can see the different in weights depending on options and how and how much stuff was loaded in the trailer . Interesting on the 19 2nd gen all but one have tongue weights inline with the 21C .
Old 02-04-2021, 07:39 AM   #14

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
You can use a bathroom scale, a timber, two pipes, and a brick to get an accurate tongue weight measure for your trailer. Here is a link how-to.

https://www.venturetrailers.com/reso...tongue-weight/

With these light Escape trailers, you really only need a 2:1 ratio on the brick side to the scale side, which will improve accuracy.

This, plus two runs over a CAT scale (one with your empty tow vehicle, and then again with the trailer too) will give you a complete, accurate weight.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
With this one you can go as high as 550 pounds direct measurement. I built a post & pad that sits on the scale & puts the trailer tongue at ball height.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #16

Thx Jon

You and i had the conversation earlier. Just getting a feel for pick up time in April. Should i pull the trigger on a fastway-e2 or try it with my 2020 f150 max tow package first. I,m thinking the forum will say 365 $ is cheap insurance.
Kind regards
Old 02-04-2021, 01:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
I have weighed my 21NE several times - all in some form of camping trim. My overall weights have averaged 4500lbs, with about a 100lb variance. My tongue weights have varied from 525lbs to 600lbs. The largest effect on tongue weight is how much water I have in the freshwater tank. More water = less tongue weight, as the tank is behind the axles. Where I store things in the trailer makes the next most difference.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote