Tongue Weight Calculation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2021, 02:15 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
While I don't disagree that there is some lever created by more weight being carried on the front axle if the trailer is nose low.

Tongue weight is dynamic based on trailer loading, so without knowing where everything is loaded in the trailer, there is no way to know for sure what a a possible tongue weight might be.
But it is absolutely certain that without the WD spring bars engaged, and with the ball height setting unchanged, the tongue will be lower than normal.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:48 PM   #22

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
I guess I'm not sure how to measure tongue weight. The main point I picked up is that:
Tongue weight is dynamic in that in can change relative to where weight is placed in or on the trailer and that use of a WDH does not change the tongue weight.

If that is true can the Tongue be determined strictly by placing a scale under the jack , leveling the trailer putting the WDH bars on the trailer in there approximate locations.

Questions: Does weight added to the tow vehicle aft of the rear trailer effect the tongue weight?
What is the effect of the weight in that location?
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
The main point I picked up is that:
Tongue weight is dynamic in that in can change relative to where weight is placed in or on the trailer and that use of a WDH does not change the tongue weight.
Right

Quote:
If that is true can the Tongue be determined strictly by placing a scale under the jack , leveling the trailer putting the WDH bars on the trailer in there approximate locations.
Yes, but the weight measured at the jack will be a few percent higher than the true tongue weight (which would be measured at the ball location of the coupler).

While the WDH spring bars add to the weight carried by the hitch, if your concern is the weight distribution of the trailer they are not relevant - just leave them off.

Quote:
Questions: Does weight added to the tow vehicle aft of the rear trailer effect the tongue weight?
What is the effect of the weight in that location?
If it is in the tow vehicle, it isn't part of the trailer and isn't tongue weight. If it is carried by the tow vehicle and not mounted to the hitch, it isn't hitch weight. It does have a similar effect on the axle loading and handling of the tow vehicle as hitch weight.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:21 PM   #24

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Thank you Brian,
I guess I can place a 4x4 of the correct length under the coupler then retract the jack to get a more accurate reading
As getting the tongue weight right is critical to handling I'll purchase a 550 pound
bathroom scale. What is preferable 10% or 15% of the trailer weight?
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:18 PM   #25

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
The actual (via a 550lb scale) weight of my 21C taken minutes ago on the electric jack square base resting on the scale is 512lbs. There aren't any changes to trailer since I weighed the truck and trailer at the CAT scale. WDH bars not attached to trailer. Trailer not attached to truck, and trailer in level position as when I tow. Empty tanks. I realize the jack based is rearward of the hitch coupler, which affects the actual tongue weight, however the scale reading is significantly heavier than the calculated weighs from the CAT scale discussed on this threat.
Attached Thumbnails
20210307_145051a.jpg  
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post
The actual (via a 550lb scale) weight of my 21C taken minutes ago on the electric jack square base resting on the scale is 512lbs.
Excellent. That happens to match the guess that I put in my example, and it's reasonable for a trailer of this size.

Quote:
I realize the jack based is rearward of the hitch coupler, which affects the actual tongue weight, however the scale reading is significantly heavier than the calculated weighs from the CAT scale discussed on this threat.
Right... because the tongue height is now correct.

To compensate for the jack position, find the distance from the ball position to the midpoint between the axle lines, and from the jack to the same point. The ratio of the distances is the same aa the ratio of the scale reading and tongue weight.

Also, scale weights typically have 20-poind precision, and combining multiple readings accumulates error, so determining tongue weight from scale readings of axle weights works, but yields an approximate result. That 360 pounds is a rough number.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #27

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Escapees SmartWeight

Recommend using the Escapees SmartWeigh. This was our result loaded as we usually travel. It matched closely what we got on a Flying J CAT scale several months earlier.

73/gus
Attached Thumbnails
SmartWeight_IMG_noAdr_2238_20200117.jpg  
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Recommend using the Escapees SmartWeigh. This was our result loaded as we usually travel. It matched closely what we got on a Flying J CAT scale several months earlier.

73/gus
Don't you have to be in Texas or Florida? Seems SmartWeigh is only in those two States, and in only one city in each State.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:35 AM   #29

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thanks for posting your SmartWeigh sheet, Gus.

Not at all suggesting there's anything 'worrisome' about it but the hitched +50# right front vs -25# left front is interesting to me; not that there's weight transfer at the TV front wheels but that the amount of transfer is different side-to-side, especially that one side is 'negative' change and one 'positive'.

Just curious if there's any notion why / how that occurs?

Is your "with trailer" configuration also 'with WDH'?

Again, nothing worrisome, just interesting, piqued the curiosity.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Don't you have to be in Texas or Florida? Seems SmartWeigh is only in those two States, and in only one city in each State.
We did ours in AZ. Recommend checking the site for the locations,

73/gus
Old 03-10-2021, 12:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Not at all suggesting there's anything 'worrisome' about it but the hitched +50# right front vs -25# left front is interesting to me; not that there's weight transfer at the TV front wheels but that the amount of transfer is different side-to-side, especially that one side is 'negative' change and one 'positive'. Just curious if there's any notion why / how that occurs? Is your "with trailer" configuration also 'with WDH'? Again, nothing worrisome, just interesting, piques the curiosity.
Hitched weight is as we tow, with our Hensley WD hitch, with jacks adjusted for the ride we like. That's what SmartWeigh asks you to do - as you normally tow.

They record weights in 25 lb. increments, which could be one difference. Don't know their rounding rule. Otherwise, and I am not sure why we got the small left-to-right difference.

We got a "Gold Star" for being so closely balanced!

Plan to do another SmartWeigh on next trip after replacing the two Lifeline GPL-4CT 6V AGM batteries in tongue box with four BattleBorn GC2 12V batteries under the front dinette bench seats. We are also adding our Sprinter 2500 as the tow vehicle.

73/gus
Old 03-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had the advantage of having a new Escape and the person who wanted to see it worked at a Montana weight stop. So on the trip home from Osoyoos, I showed him the trailer and got weighed,,,,,,,,,,he bought one!
Old 03-10-2021, 04:53 PM   #33

Quote:
We did ours in AZ. Recommend checking the site for the locations,

73/gus
I checked the website before I posted. Only 2 cities listed.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Not at all suggesting there's anything 'worrisome' about it but the hitched +50# right front vs -25# left front is interesting to me; not that there's weight transfer at the TV front wheels but that the amount of transfer is different side-to-side....
Although with the 25-pound reading precision the difference isn't huge, it does suggest that one side of the WD is tighter than the other side, twisting the truck relative to the trailer.

The WD also might be over-applied - the "with trailer and WD" front axle load should never be more than the "without trailer" load - but again within scale precision the readings don't clearly show that.

I think the trailer readings are potentially of more concern: the left total and right total are not quite the same but there is no significant difference and even a moderate difference would be okay; however, there is a moderately significant diagonal difference. That may be due to a twisted trailer frame, or unequal suspension wear, or just unmatched tire pressures, or nothing but the area used for the measurement being not perfectly flat.

It is interesting - especially in this thread about tongue weight - that Escapees doesn't even attempt to determine tongue weight. They are set up to make the measurements as quickly and easily as possible, checking only the as-operated condition of the tire loads.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:55 PM   #35

Quote:
I checked the website before I posted. Only 2 cities listed.
Yes, sad to see that the AZ site closed 2 months ago. It is well worth a detour should you be traveling through TX and FL.

73/gus
Old 03-10-2021, 07:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think the trailer readings are potentially of more concern: the left total and right total are not quite the same but there is no significant difference and even a moderate difference would be okay; however, there is a moderately significant diagonal difference. That may be due to a twisted trailer frame, or unequal suspension wear, or just unmatched tire pressures, or nothing but the area used for the measurement being not perfectly flat.
Not sure I would apply "moderately significant" to a difference on the order of ≤ 3%. Filling our fresh water tank, not dumping gray water, or picking up groceries could cause this scale of change.

Would anyone else care to share their SmartWeigh results?

73/gus
Old 03-10-2021, 09:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Not sure I would apply "moderately significant" to a difference on the order of ≤ 3%. Filling our fresh water tank, not dumping gray water, or picking up groceries could cause this scale of change.
Loading differences can change the total weight or tongue weight or side-to-side difference a few percent and that's not an issue. I was referring to the diagonal bias, which should always be nearly zero... and it probably still isn't an issue.