Towing Mirrors - Toyota Highlander - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2020, 08:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Towing Mirrors - Toyota Highlander

For those towing with a 2014-18 model year Toyota Highlander, are you using towing mirrors? We have the Milenco towing mirrors that we can put on our 2012 HIghlander but are planning to tow our 19 with a 2017 on a longer trip. Just wondering if others find using towing mirrors as a requirement or purely personal preference.
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Many state laws require vision to 100' behind. Doubtful that would be the case with any Highlander's stock mirrors. We needed Millencos with our 17B & 2013 Highlander.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Many state laws require vision to 100' behind. Doubtful that would be the case with any Highlander's stock mirrors. We needed Millencos with our 17B & 2013 Highlander.

It's actually 200'.
This is from BC Motor Vehicle Act. Other provinces and states have similar requirements:
Where a trailer or semitrailer in a combination of vehicles diminishes the driver's reflected rear view through the rear view mirrors required by subsections (1) to (3), the towing vehicle in the combination of vehicles shall be equipped with 2 mirrors, one affixed to each side of the motor vehicle, and each to provide the driver with an undistorted reflected view of the adjacent lane of the highway from a point on the road surface 11 m ( 36 feet ) behind the driver to a point on the road surface 61 m ( 200 feet ) from the rear of the combination of vehicles.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Earlier this summer I forgot to put my Milenco mirrors on the 4Runner before I left on a trip to Jasper with my 15B. A couple weeks later I used the Milenco mirrors on the 4Runner when I went to Banff for a long weekend trip with the 19'. I found that rearward visibility was so much better towing the 19' with the Milenco mirrors than towing the 15B with out the mirrors.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Earlier this summer I forgot to put my Milenco mirrors on the 4Runner before I left on a trip to Jasper with my 15B. A couple weeks later I used the Milenco mirrors on the 4Runner when I went to Banff for a long weekend trip with the 19'. I found that rearward visibility was so much better towing the 19' with the Milenco mirrors than towing the 15B with out the mirrors.
Others may disagree about the benefit but I totally agree with you. I didn't have them when I picked up my trailer in Sumas got them but I ordered them as soon as I got home. I won't leave home without them.
Mine are "CIPA" brand, except for being too tight when needing to adjust them they are easy to install, allow folding in and are vibration free.
Attached Thumbnails
Emmett's Extended Outside Mirror.jpg  
Old 11-08-2020, 08:39 AM   #6

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I wouldn't tow without the extended mirrors. Far better visibility.
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote