Towing with a Highlander Hybrid - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2022, 11:19 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
The VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne hybrids had no reduction in capacity rating for the hybrid models. Finding them is a challenge though!
DFlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:10 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by friofreddy View Post
You should listen to your husband. He is taking good care of you. An all-wheel drive (ours) is a good choice, since wear from pulling, traction, etc. is evenly divided on all 4 wheels/tires, instead of just being on the front 2.
Not sure this is always true, my truck's drive wheels are in the rear. Each vehicle is different, whether 4 wheel or 2 wheel. Not aware of any all wheel drive all the time, would cause too much tire scrubbing on dry roads.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:08 AM   #23

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
There are hybrids and there are hybrids. Ours is called a “mild” hybrid.

Our RAM 5.7 L has “etorque” which essentially replaces the engine alternator with a generator that increases torque at startup from 410 lb.ft. (w/o etorque) to up to 540 lb. ft.

The generator helps put the truck tow capacity up to 11,600 lbs.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:14 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
There are hybrids and there are hybrids. Ours is called a “mild” hybrid.

Our RAM 5.7 L has “etorque” which essentially replaces the engine alternator with a generator that increases torque at startup from 410 lb.ft. (w/o etorque) to up to 540 lb. ft.

The generator helps put the truck tow capacity up to 11,600 lbs.
True, but your carrying capacity is about 10% of that number....
Old 03-10-2022, 10:28 AM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not sure this is always true, my truck's drive wheels are in the rear. Each vehicle is different, whether 4 wheel or 2 wheel. Not aware of any all wheel drive all the time, would cause too much tire scrubbing on dry roads.
Classic 4x4 - normally rear wheel drive, with a transfer case that can be set for 2wd, 4wd high, and 4wd low, this transfer case is not a differential, so should never be engaged on dry pavement.

FWD centric AWD - always drives the front wheels, a clutch engages the rear if a front wheel slips - common on "crossover' SUVs that are based on FWD car platforms such as the rav4, highlander.

Full time AWD, can be rear centric (Mercedes 4matic) or front centric (Audi quattro, Subaru) - these have a central differential, and often a viscous coupling to aid in 4 wheel traction control
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:47 AM   #26

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:
True, but your carrying capacity is about 10% of that number....
Payload for mine is listed at 1,492 lbs. Plenty for how we roll.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:14 PM   #27

Trailer: 2019 Little Guy Mini Max
Send a message via MSN to friofreddy Send a message via Yahoo to friofreddy
Quote:
CPA, our Highlander Limited AWD actually has an inter-axle differential incorporated in the transfer case; it divides power evenly between all 4 wheels, and between front and back- three differentials. With this arrangement, turning a corner with the front actually travelling farther than the rear does not result in the scrubbing that occurs with a 'solid' 4WD. If one tire totally loses traction, it could just sit there spinning, except the wheel speed sensors report to the drivetrain computer, and some degree of braking is applied to the spinning tire via the antilock braking mechanism, putting power back to tires having traction. Since the spinning tire has lost traction, the other three move the vehicle until all wheels again have traction. It all happens so quickly that no one notices.
friofreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:54 PM   #28

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
But this thread is about Highlanders. With AWD Highlanders it's always true. And the only scrubbing is at the car wash!
Old 03-11-2022, 07:00 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
So today we brought home a Highlander Platinum 2021 with 11,000 miles. It is certified pre-owned with a great warranty, $1000 less than the first one we looked at which didn't come certified. Now we'll let it sit for awhile hoping that gas prices will come down.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:24 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
New Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
So today we brought home a Highlander Platinum 2021 with 11,000 miles. It is certified pre-owned with a great warranty, $1000 less than the first one we looked at which didn't come certified. Now we'll let it sit for awhile hoping that gas prices will come down.
Hi Ruthe
Congratulations on your new tow. I think you’ll really like the added horsepower and 8 speed sport transmission, especially in the mountains.
Next time your in iowa for a baseball game in DesMoines you can stop by and we’ll run them off.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-11-2022, 07:30 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Hi Dave. Terry was just commenting on the good gas mileage he got coming back from the dealer. 23 mpg. Next time we go through Iowa may not be baseball season but if we are your way I will definitely let you know!
Old 03-11-2022, 08:10 PM   #32

Milage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Hi Dave. Terry was just commenting on the good gas mileage he got coming back from the dealer. 23 mpg. Next time we go through Iowa may not be baseball season but if we are your way I will definitely let you know!
Full disclosure here. I drove 400 miles, westbound on US30 and I80 last Tuesday. Very little wind and running about 68 MPH on the Interstate. The readout on the dash said I got 27.6 mpg. When I filled the tank on Wednesday morning and put the pencil on it the actual milage was 26.8 mpg. So pretty accurate but not exact. There was a little town driving on each end but not much. Mostly all at road speed. So best of luck and be sure and let us know if you’re in the area.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-11-2022, 08:16 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
There is a recall on my 2020 Highlander XLE for the gas readout. Apparently, some who drive on the edge of empty have run out of gas. I've not done anything about it yet. I usually fill up at 1/4 tank.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:00 PM   #34

The stated gas tank capacity on our 2018 is 19.2 gallons. I was driving around town for a couple days on low fuel. Meaning to fill up. But I came home and did not fill. So, ten miles or so back to town the next day. I made it ok and gassed up full. 18.6’gallons. That’s pretty rare for me, I haven’t run out of gas for about 40 years and haven’t come close except for the one time described above. I think my gauge is pretty accurate. I did have it in for the fuel pump recall.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-12-2022, 08:06 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
But this thread is about Highlanders
Good point. It's also supposed to be about the Highlander Hybrid.

The Highlander Hybrid always drives the front wheels, and drives the rear wheels (with an electric motor) whenever required (and only when required).

From the beginning of the model (a few generations ago), the Highlander (non-hybrid) AWD system used a centre differential, which distributes the same drive torque to the front and rear wheels; all wheels are driven all of the time. This is the system which friofreddy described.

At some point the Highlander, like all transverse-engine Toyota models, was switched to a system which always drives the front wheels, and mechanically engages drive to the rear wheels (by engaging a clutch) only when required.

In all of the Highlander AWD systems, all wheels can be driven regardless of road surface, because the system allows different front and rear axle speeds.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 12:03 PM   #36

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
But this thread is about Highlanders. With AWD Highlanders it's always true. And the only scrubbing is at the car wash!
The thread title should be changed to reflect that.
kavm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 05:13 PM   #37

Trailer: scamp 2008
2012 Highlander hybrid for towing a scamp

Hi,

I know the original question was for a larger trailer, but how do you think the 2012 hybrid would perform towing a smaller 13 ft scamp trailer of 16 casita
ScampsitaRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 05:59 PM   #38
Site Team

my 2008 16' Casita Spirit Deluxe had a 3500 lb GWR. empty and dry it was probably 2000-2200.

re older highlander hybrid towing, probably has sufficient power and torque even when the battery runs out (for instance climbing long grades) to keep a light trailer towing, but I'd want to stay religiously within the towing specifications for the specific car, which I think are 3500 lbs for that year/engine. get heavy duty shock absorbers, if you can add a airbag kit to your rear springs, even better. watch your car payload, I believe its under 1300 lbs to start with, and a 3000 lb trailer can put 300-450 lbs on the rear axle. Subtract *everything* you've put in that car, the junk in the glovebox, the extra tools stowed with the spare tire, etc. cargo box on the roof, etc etc all subtracts from that payload.
Old 04-08-2023, 11:48 AM   #39

Trying to decide

Hello All,
Been reading through the posts and a lot of good info. My wife and I have been looking at the 2023 Highlander XLE AWD for our next daily driver, but we also intend to use it to get away from time to time. We are trying to decide if we want to go with the conventional vs. hybrid versions with the towing capacities of 5,000 lbs vs. 3,500 lbs, respectively. We do not have a our camper yet but most likely will go with a Coleman Lantern or Wolf Pup, the weights of the ones we have been looking at range between 3,000 and 3,600 (dry). My wife is nervous about getting close to or exceeding the towing capacities, like a 300 lb guy in a chair is fine but 301 will break it. I would be interested to find out what the engineered factory of safety is when they developed the final towing capacity.

Any opinions, stories, experience would be much appreciated.
carsium234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:58 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsium234 View Post
....the ones we have been looking at range between 3,000 and 3,600 (dry)....
you never tow a dry camper. you tow a camper that often has a full water tank (or partially full grey/black tanks), a fridge full of food, and closets full of clothing and bedding.

I always base my tow on the trailers GVW ratings, NOT the 'dry weight' which is often a flat lie by the manufacturer, unless you've actually weighed it.

btw, Coleman trailers have a terrible reputation of being among the cheapest of the cheaply made stick-builts. Coleman the old camping gear company just licenses their logos and has nothing to do with these. They are made by Dutchman, who was acquired by Thor, and frankly, everything Thor touches is JUNK.