Toyota Tundra towing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-25-2014, 11:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Maybe this shot?
Thanks Bob That's the one I remember, showing the spring-under-axle lower-height configuration. You can see the extra spring perch/pad on top of the axle above the one which is currently in use.

Quote:
By the way, I don't think the pinbox on these is adjustable, at least I don't see anything that is.
There should be two or four bolts per side fastening the pinbox to the frame mounting brackets, with multiple holes to allow multiple heights, as Mark mentioned. This was perhaps more obvious in the 34-degree Atwood AB-34 pinbox that was used previously; the more recent units all seem to have a different model which adjusts straight up and down.

Quote:
This is the mid position for my F150, I may reverse the axle as it sits high in the front. I had told ETI it is 56" at the tailgate and they set it up at the middle of the 3 heights.
That would be the spring-over-axle configuration (about 4" higher, or less if other changes are made at the same time). I still don't know exactly how the third height is done, but if Bob's is the mid-height then the mystery configuration is the lowest one... longer shackles on the rocker and higher holes on the frame mounts, perhaps? Anyway, I doubt Mark is currently at the lowest position (with an F-250), so it doesn't matter for now!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There should be two or four bolts per side fastening the pinbox to the frame mounting brackets, with multiple holes to allow multiple heights, as Mark mentioned. This was perhaps more obvious in the 34-degree Atwood AB-34 pinbox that was used previously; the more recent units all seem to have a different model which adjusts straight up and down.
Never noticed it before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pinbox.jpg (180.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 12-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA
Tundra Towing

That is the setting my box is at right now. Reece said I have 2.5" adjustment left, so those upper holes would be that.If I needed more I would have to put axles under springs or use blocks. Hopefully the pin box is enough and it looks like it is.
Weldingmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Never noticed it before.
Thanks again Bob With six bolts per side, this looks really secure... and adjustable to just two positions (the current and one setting which places the pin higher).

When I looked at this during a visit to the factory (after which I obviously forgot how many bolts there were) it seemed to me like the upper section might be custom-fabricated by the frame shop, perhaps to fit the unusually low height of the relatively small (for a fifth-wheel) Escape. Looks strong, in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldingmedic View Post
That is the setting my box is at right now. Reece said I have 2.5" adjustment left, so those upper holes would be that.
Hopefully the pin box is enough and it looks like it is.
Moving the pin up works if all you need to do it match the pin to the hitch. If it's that easy - great!

Quote:
If I needed more I would have to put axles under springs or use blocks.
If your axle tubes are currently on top of the springs (like Bob's), blocks (which go between the springs and axle tubes) would actually lower the trailer - putting the axle under the springs is the only change to raise the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA
Tundra towing

Bought the 2015 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 and it works great with the 5.0TA. Can't even feel the trailer. Now I just have to make it 14 more months at the at the Fire Department, grab my pension, my traveling nurse wife and hit the road to wherever.
Thanks again for all the advice !!
Weldingmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Quote:
Bought the 2015 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 and it works great with the 5.0TA. Can't even feel the trailer. Now I just have to make it 14 more months at the at the Fire Department, grab my pension, my traveling nurse wife and hit the road to wherever.
Thanks again for all the advice !!

Very nice choice ,