TPMS Cyber Monday - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK snowbiker View Post
Thanks for the head's up, is it okay to use rubber valve stems with this? Scott
A number of the reviews say that the sensors failed when used on rubber valve stems. Probably should replace them with metal stem valves first chance you get. I replaced my stems with these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-30-2020, 05:06 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
just order two of the $30 sets. One for the truck and one for the trailer.
I wasn’t sure if that would work? Guess I could try. Seems like a lot of monitors crossing signals. My feeble mind can’t wrap around it.

Jimmy
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:05 AM   #23

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
A number of the reviews say that the sensors failed when used on rubber valve stems. Probably should replace them with metal stem valves first chance you get. I replaced my stems with these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My sensors never failed but I had 6 tire failures on my truck in 18 months and on the last one the tech at Discount Tire told me the rubber valve stems were causing the problem. Removed the sensors and have had no tire problem since.

On my next tire purchase I'll have the metal stems installed and start using the sensors again.

Edit, I should have said the tire stems failed (leaked), not the tire. On replacing the stems the tires were fine. Did this 5 times before I was told the cause.
RangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
My sensors never failed but I had 6 tire failures on my truck in 18 months and on the last one the tech at Discount Tire told me the rubber valve stems were causing the problem. Removed the sensors and have had no tire problem since.

On my next tire purchase I'll have the metal stems installed and start using the sensors again.

Edit, I should have said the tire stems failed (leaked), not the tire. On replacing the stems the tires were fine. Did this 5 times before I was told the cause.
It's funny but when you look at the rubber valve stems with a sensor installed, you can usually see marks on the rim were the valve stem has been whipping back and forth and hitting the rim.

The valve stems can't take that for long before they start to leak. As cheap as the metal valve stems are, it just make sense to have them installed even if you don't use sensors. The metal valve stems are rated for higher pressure than the rubber ones too - not that it much difference for our trailers.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #25

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Came in today.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
It's funny but when you look at the rubber valve stems with a sensor installed, you can usually see marks on the rim were the valve stem has been whipping back and forth and hitting the rim.

The valve stems can't take that for long before they start to leak. As cheap as the metal valve stems are, it just make sense to have them installed even if you don't use sensors. The metal valve stems are rated for higher pressure than the rubber ones too - not that it much difference for our trailers.
2X. After I found "skid marks" on the white wheels where the body of the sensor would hit when the stem bent, I replaced them all with metal stems. I find it hard to believe they could bend that much, but there were marks on all 4 tires.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Mine came in yesterday and I'll check the stems today. I'm thinking they put metal on when they did the Endurance tires last Christmas, but we'll see.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:39 PM   #28

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Just FYI my local "Discount Tire Store" (US franchise name) will replace even brand-new OE rubber stems with all-metal stems and rebalance just for the (nominal) purchase price of the stems - no labor charge. BTDT, takes away any excuse to delay 'till tires are needed.

That sort of service (they also fix repairable flats free no matter who installed the tires) is what makes me an unabashed fan and continuing customer of that company. YMMV.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:08 AM   #29

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Since I have only two trailer tires maybe the other two can go on my e-bike.
When I had my two tire Scamp, I put the two extras on my Scamp spare tire and the tow vehicle spare tire.
Now that I have the Escape 19, I have to check my spare tires manually again.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:25 AM   #30

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
I bought the Tymate cigarette lighter adapter version. I like it for it's small and non-obtrusive form factor. Works great with my 17B. No wires and it also has a USB port so you can still charge phones while using it. When towing I simply plug it into the cigarette lighter port. When not towing unplug and stow in the glovebox. The screen is not too bright at night and bright enough during the day to see easily. I'm not sure if this model would work well with a big truck and longer trailer. I tow with a Rav4 so there is not a lot of distance between the cab and the trailer tires.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:24 PM   #31

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Tried to install the Tymate TPMS yesterday and the font in the manual seems to be a 7 or 8, too small for me to read.

I downloaded the manual and have it shared here for those with eyes like mine. I printed it out with the scale set to "Fit To Paper", so each manual page is full size on 8 1/2" x 11" paper.

Hope this works for those with eyes like mine.

Just got back from the install. While they came on initially they wouldn't register PSI after 15 minutes. Called support and they said I needed to drive our camper for at least 10 minutes for the initial run. Our camper is in storage, so I removed the sensors from the camper and installed them on our truck. I then drove the truck and after only 5 minutes all the sensors were registering, but drove for 20 minutes to make sure. Got back to the camper, removed the sensors from the truck tires, and put them on the camper. All is well now.

Perry
Old 12-10-2020, 01:48 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks Perry. The PDF will be helpful
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:49 PM   #33

Trailer: ?
Valve stems.
While metal is preferred, I used the factory rubber stems on both the Casita and Escape while using this system. No leaks. No problems.
Could be two factors working in my favor.
One; I drive slowly. 55-60 mph is my towing comfort zone. I routinely see trailers being towed at 75-80mph. I suspect slower speeds lead to less, or perhaps no, stem flexing.
These tire sensors are small and very light. Others experiencing flexing may have larger and heavier sensors.

For what it's worth, this is one users experience. Do what you're comfortable with.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:36 PM   #34

Redoing this because of the stupid 240 minute limit on editing.

Just got back from the install. While the sensors came on initially they wouldn't register PSI after 15 minutes. Called support and they said I needed to drive our camper for at least 10 minutes for the initial run. Our camper is in storage, so I removed the sensors from the camper and installed them on our truck. I then drove the truck and after only 5 minutes all the sensors were registering, but drove for 20 minutes to make sure. Got back to the camper, removed the sensors from the truck tires, and put them on the camper. All is well now.

If this information had been in the manual I would easily have saved 1-2 hours of time. Support said driving for 5-15 minutes should be up front in the manual, and this is the #1 reason for support being needed. So if you can't immediately pull your camper after the install, start by installing your sensors on a vehicle and driving for 5-15 minutes, so the sensors can properly activate.

My F150 sensors said I had 32-33 psi in my tires and the Tymate TPMS says 30-31, so it reads a little low, but who's to say Ford's TPMS is any more accurate than their mpg Lie-O-Meter.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-11-2020, 09:03 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
...So if you can't immediately pull your camper after the install, start by installing your sensors on a vehicle and driving for 5-15 minutes, so the sensors can properly activate.
Enjoy,

Perry
I did the same Perry, installed them on my car and drove. In my case they all began reporting before I even got out of my neighborhood.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:15 AM   #36

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Our TPMS arrived in the mail last week . I put the package in the pole barn where our Escape is stored . Not going to worry about it till Spring cause we ain’t going anywhere soon .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Our TPMS arrived in the mail last week . I put the package in the pole barn where our Escape is stored . Not going to worry about it till Spring cause we ain’t going anywhere soon .
If it were me, I would do a quick test in case some don't work while you are in the return window.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:50 AM   #38

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
My F150 sensors said I had 32-33 psi in my tires and the Tymate TPMS says 30-31, so it reads a little low, but who's to say Ford's TPMS is any more accurate than their mpg Lie-O-Meter.

Enjoy,

Perry
All TPMS systems have an error range for pressure and temperature readings. The Amazon site says this system should be accurate within +- 3*.

When driving, you will notice that the tire temperature is higher on the sunny side of the trailer. What you’re really looking for with any TPMS is the relative temperature and not necessarily the absolute temperature. Are both tires on the sunny or shaded side about the same pressure?
You’re looking for leaks ; not the precise temperature.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:33 AM   #39

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
By mistake I had two sets in my cart and sent the order. When I search their site for a match for my Highlander, a different model comes up. Should there be a problem putting a set on my car and two on the trailer? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:45 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
All TPMS systems have an error range for pressure and temperature readings. The Amazon site says this system should be accurate within +- 3*.

When driving, you will notice that the tire temperature is higher on the sunny side of the trailer. What you’re really looking for with any TPMS is the relative temperature and not necessarily the absolute temperature. Are both tires on the sunny or shaded side about the same pressure?
You’re looking for leaks ; not the precise temperature.
Yes, I knew that, and agree. I was being facetious.

I was just telling what I observed, and expressing they're about as reliable as the Lie-O-Meters in our vehicles.

Then again how accurate are tire pressure gauges? They're just relative too.

In all the years, with our 14 previous campers, easily pulling well over 100,000 miles, we've only had one flat/blowout. That was halfway between Forsyth and Roundup, Montana, a lonely drive of 100+ miles on Hwy 12, with our Casita. I was alone, it was 11 pm, and there was nothing as far as I could see. There were coyotes howling in the distance. Took about 45 minutes to change the tire and not a single vehicle to be seen. Luckily there was air in the spare.

Yes, the reason we buy TPMS is to let us know of a leak, or complete loss of air. I'll always wonder if there was a leak before the tire blew. Now I'll be informed.

Enjoy,

Perry