Why 4X4 vs 4X2? - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2018, 06:39 PM   #101
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Well it snows where I live but I still agree with your points. At some point, if necessary, I'll buy snow tires. If climate change gives us record breaking snow and ice I'll get studded snow tires. I've been driving and towing with 4x2 pickups since the 70's. Never been stuck or gone off the road. But then I kind of enjoy driving on snow, sorta reminds me of my ice racing days in my mis-spent youth.

Ron
Pretty much the same here. Grew up in the 60s and 70s in northern Utah, at an elevation of over 6500 feet. Snow, deep snow. It was hard to find a 4WD vehicle even there. Learned to drive in all of that with a 2WD and have been doing so ever since. Of course, where I live now there's no freezing precip of any kind.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:39 PM   #102

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Bottom line with all the keyboard pounding that has happened on this thread and the other one is either you like 4x4s or you dont. Everyone has their reason for their choice. Time to soak the abused typing finger in a good long epsom salt bath 🛀
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:48 PM   #103
Site Team

A reminder to all - let's keep it civil. Thank you.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:52 PM   #104

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Time to soak the abused typing finger in a good long epsom salt bath 🛀
I'm not worried about my finger, I'm worried about a bad dream that I might have after reading this thread. It's been 2 weeks since I ordered my 4x2 F150 and I haven't heard yet that the factory has officially accepted the build order. Hope I don't have a nightmare where they say that my order was the only 4x2 order they had and it wasn't worth their trouble. Then they show me acres of already built honking big 4x4s that I don't want and say, "pick one".

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:55 PM   #105
Site Team

Quote:
Hope I don't have a nightmare where they say that my order was the only 4x2 order they had and it wasn't worth their trouble. Then they show me acres of already built honking big 4x4s that I don't want and say, "pick one".

Ron
Don't worry Ron. They built mine - a 4x2.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:30 PM   #106

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Not really. In 2WD you're still carrying around the weight of the 4WD system, some of the components are still turning and adding drag, and you still had to pay for it.

An AWD system that can actually use all wheels for driving on normal roads is more functional than a basic truck system in which 4WD cannot be used unless tires are substantially slipping.
An AWD system that is always in AWD is simpler (and so lighter and less expensive to buy and repair) than a sophisticated truck system that has 2WD, 4WD locked, and 4WD full-time modes.

All system designs have their advantages and disadvantages, but as always "there's no free lunch".

You likely have a Quadra-Trac II or Quadra-Drive II system - both use the NV247 or NV245 transfer case. If the Jeep is 2005 or newer, it has the NV245 which has a differential in the transfer case, allowing both front and rear to be driven all of the time. Like most truck systems, it also has a low gear range. What it doesn't have is the extra mechanisms that would be needed to disconnect the front (for 2WD) and lock the centre differential (so the rear would be driven with no front connected), or the front axle disconnect features needed to save any fuel by not turning front shafts. This simplifies and lightens the transfer case and front axle.
I think there are more out there than we realize, I just saw a dealer in Fort Smith Arkansas that has 11 of them. I have been finding that with other dealers as well. New Ford Inventory | Randall Ford in Fort Smith
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:56 AM   #107

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Build day

Quote:
I'm not worried about my finger, I'm worried about a bad dream that I might have after reading this thread. It's been 2 weeks since I ordered my 4x2 F150 and I haven't heard yet that the factory has officially accepted the build order. Hope I don't have a nightmare where they say that my order was the only 4x2 order they had and it wasn't worth their trouble. Then they show me acres of already built honking big 4x4s that I don't want and say, "pick one".

Ron
Hey Ron
Maybe they only build them on the day after a three day weekend when everybody is happy to be back to work and doing their very best. Congrats on a new truck, I hope it’s all you wanted and does a great job for you.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-31-2018, 07:48 AM   #108

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always thought is was bad to purchase a vehicle made on a monday or day after a holiday. That is the most likely day someone calls in sick and a sub is assigned their position on the assembly line, thereby the likelihood of an error or mistake is increased due to unfamiliarity.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:18 AM   #109

Labor Day Weekend

Hi Jim
Hope you have a good Labor Day Weekend and figure out a way to stay dry. I was kidding about Monday and Holiday weekend builds. I’ve never worked in an auto factory but I’ve worked on a disassembly line and Mondays were not always that good of a deal for the company. Fortunately there were always some Federal meat inspectors to assure quality product. They could be trusted not to have partied down the night before.....right?
Iowa Dave
Old 08-31-2018, 09:01 AM   #110

Thanks Dave, hope you and the family enjoy the holiday and the upcoming rallies, only 258 more days before heading to Osoyoos, but who is counting, not me...eekk as Alf would say..!!
Old 08-31-2018, 10:56 AM   #111

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I think there are more out there than we realize, I just saw a dealer in Fort Smith Arkansas that has 11 of them. I have been finding that with other dealers as well. New Ford Inventory | Randall Ford in Fort Smith
Double wow on those. One was even a SuperCab! But, at first glance anyway, those prices seem high, there're what I'd expect in Canadian dollars. But then there's lot's of game playing so who really knows what the bottom line is.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:17 PM   #112

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Thanks Dave, hope you and the family enjoy the holiday and the upcoming rallies, only 258 more days before heading to Osoyoos, but who is counting, not me...eekk as Alf would say..!!

I thought Canadians said ehh, eekk is when SWMBO sees a mouse.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:09 PM   #113

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
Back in the 50s- 60s, ya just put your snow tires on, if you can afford them. If not, then your chains. Threw some weight on the back and some sand, and away you went. however today's highways and byways are lot different then the way they were. Also people worked local, today they drive a large distances to work. I don't worry about it now, b/c if it snows I just stay home. I used my 4wd once since 2012. Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:10 PM   #114

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
[QUOTE=civi;261195]Back in the 50s- 60s, ya just put your snow tires on, if you can afford them. If not, then your chains. Threw some weight on the back and some sand, and away you went.
And people drove slower, can’t imagine doing 70 in the snow with a 6Cyl and a 3 in the tree
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:17 PM   #115

Trailer: None now
[QUOTE=Fun&Sun;261202]
Quote:
Originally Posted by civi View Post
Back in the 50s- 60s, ya just put your snow tires on, if you can afford them. If not, then your chains. Threw some weight on the back and some sand, and away you went.
And people drove slower, can’t imagine doing 70 in the snow with a 6Cyl and a 3 in the tree

Never had the snow but did have a slant 6 van with a 3 on the tree.
Anytime it rained the shift mechanism would jam between 2nd and third and I would have to get out and use my trusty screwdriver to pop it loose it over and over. Had a couple shops look at it, friends and I took it apart and replaced all the little parts and it still acted up. If some girl had been paying attention to the road instead of her friend I would have installed the Hurst floor shifter I had bought. My luck it still would have had problems. Did get almost 3 years out of the old beater. As far as 70 mph the driveshaft would have shook itself apart if I had ever tried that.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #116

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Speaking of snow tires …. I remember my Dad buying tires with walnut shells ground up in them. Remember those?

Tom
Old 09-01-2018, 12:16 PM   #117

I remember when they started selling recap tires in late 50's, where they took a good tire carcass and vulcanizing new tread to the outside, snow or regular tread. A set of recap snow tires for less than $100.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #118

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Speaking of snow tires …. I remember my Dad buying tires with walnut shells ground up in them. Remember those?

Tom
We often sold tires without the studs in them and people would run them for two or three months and then bring them back in about the middle of November and we would stud them up. Then we would dismount them in the spring by the takeoff date which was about April 15. Then sell them another pair of good tires for the front end for the summer ( sometimes recaps). The worn ones went on the back. We charged for the tires and the studs but no labor charge for anything else for good regular gas customers. Roy Carver established Bandag, a huge tire recap outfit in Muscatine Iowa. Customers would bring in a couple sound carcasses and the Bandag man would come around and pick them up and deliver them back recapped. Carver became a very significant philanthropist giving millions to the university of Iowa. To my dad when Bandag was pretty small yet, he was just “Roy” on the phone and my dad was “Smitty” to Roy.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #119

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I have always and still do assume that the "road gators" lying at the sides of the roads are all from recapped truck tires.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #120

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I forgot all about Bandag, but as an Iowa native, my memory got jogged.

As for snow tires, we just don’t get the snow like we did in the past, down here or even up in Iowa. I bought a large snow blower back 3 years ago and have yet to use it. Same for the 4 wheel drive and the towing kit I put together for winter. Maybe one of these years. But it still does get muddy. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote