Will the 17b get up this inclind driveway? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2024, 10:23 AM   #21

Trailer: Still deciding
Yes, already have vehicle. Just want to make sure I am within the boundaries and confer with people who have potentially had success towing 17b with HiHy. We are in central New York, so no big hills (except for my driveway) where we plan to do the majority of our "camping." Thanks for your input, this is helpful
karliefoxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:24 AM   #22

It does have a rather quick level change. How would you recommend negotiating this? Would 2x6 ramp at the change of incline help?
Old 02-21-2024, 10:27 AM   #23

Hi,
I'd do the lift kit as well. My 17B is done and I've backed up some worse spots.
You also will have to loosen or better than that remove your load level arms or they will put a lot of stress on the frame.

I've no idea is the Hybrid has the jam to do the job.

Don
Don Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:34 AM   #24

Very helpful, thank you! Is lowering the load level arms something that can easily be done on a weight distribution hitch?
Thanks
Old 02-21-2024, 10:46 AM   #25

Trailer: None
Check your reverse gear ratio. Your vehicle specs should provide gear ratios in each gear including reverse. If your reverse is similar to your first, forward gear you will be ok. If your reverse gear is similar to your second, forward gear you may have trouble.
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 11:11 AM   #26

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE "Escape to Margaritaville"
I don't think you'll have a problem as long as you approach the threshold of the driveway at an angle and not square on.

Backing is always.... setting up your rig angle and position before you even put your rig in reverse.

Take your time and never back up on your blindside if possible.

Cheers to ya....... and Happy Trails....... Jack
jack sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 11:29 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
You could measure trailer bumper height and distance to the rear axle to calculate approach angle with your hitch tow height. If the road is crowned the front tow axle will go up as well as trailer bumper, to improve the approach angle.

I have a 17B, so it has the full time rear bed. I don’t know if other models weigh the same. I’ve measured the weight of the tow vehicle / trailer combination as well as the tongue weight, loaded for camping. I tow with a full sized pickup truck so probably load more in the truck than an SUV might. I tow with a minimum amount of water in the tanks, about 1/4.

A tow vehicle operating near max tow rating should be cautious of transmission fluid temps. Especially if hot, and steep conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7825.jpg   IMG_3270.jpeg   IMG_2408.jpg  
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 02:31 PM   #28

Trailer: 2011 17B; Prior-2009 Escape-13B
towing 17B w/ vehicle only 3,500# capacity

I bought a 17b and towed with my 2008 Lexus Rx400Hybrid, 6-cyl, with 3,500# capacity - I bought it from the original owner who had towed a 17B with no problem, as did I. However, my mechanic cautioned that my vehicle could not take long-term towing, like hitting the road for a month or so at at time. The longest trip I did was 10 days and more often did 5 day-trips in Spring n Summer. If I was going to tow more often, I was considering a gas-driven Highlander w 5,000# capacity.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 04:06 PM   #29

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by karliefoxk View Post
Very helpful, thank you! Is lowering the load level arms something that can easily be done on a weight distribution hitch?
Thanks
How easy depends on the brand, but it's moot since you would have to do that when unhooking once you're in the driveway anyway, so it's not a big deal to do it before backing into the driveway. On some you have to use the trailer's jack to raise up so the bars will slide off; on others you just use a supplied lever (for mechanical advantage) to undo the chains that hold the bars up.