Install lift kit 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2021, 02:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA, 2018 F150 2.7 EB
Install lift kit 5.0

I need to install the Dexter lift kit to provide more clearance to truck bed rails. It is necessary to raise the wheels 3" to add the lift. I will be jacking the trailer up on a level concrete floor. Can the rear stabilizing jacks handle the weight, if I use the front landing gear jacks to raise the trailer that much? eTrailer has a very thorough video of the install, but if anyone has additional installation tips, it is appreciated.
LoonCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonCall View Post
It is necessary to raise the wheels 3" to add the lift. I will be jacking the trailer up on a level concrete floor. Can the rear stabilizing jacks handle the weight, if I use the front landing gear jacks to raise the trailer that much?
While the stabilizing jacks have enough capacity to hold the trailer's weight, and the front jacks have enough capacity to lift the front, that leaves the trailer supported by points more widely spread than intended... and it will sag in the middle. It might not be noticeable, and it might not damage anything, but I don't think that this is advisable.

I would lower the front as much as possible, put automotive service jack stands under the frame immediately behind the trailing axle (leaving just enough room to do your work), and then lift the front enough to take the load off of the axles... if lifting it to level is enough get the tires far enough off the ground, it would be ready to go (with jack stands added ahead of the axles to back up the front jacks).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
While the stabilizing jacks have enough capacity to hold the trailer's weight, and the front jacks have enough capacity to lift the front, that leaves the trailer supported by points more widely spread than intended... and it will sag in the middle. It might not be noticeable, and it might not damage anything, but I don't think that this is advisable.

I would lower the front as much as possible, put automotive service jack stands under the frame immediately behind the trailing axle (leaving just enough room to do your work), and then lift the front enough to take the load off of the axles... if lifting it to level is enough get the tires far enough off the ground, it would be ready to go (with jack stands added ahead of the axles to back up the front jacks).
Maybe also start with pulling the trailer up on 2 2x6 first, just a thought.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Maybe also start with pulling the trailer up on 2 2x6 first, just a thought.
Good idea: anything that raises the trailer and can be removed after jacking up will leave more clearance for the taller suspension. I would go for whatever I had for suitable ramps.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dexter, jack, jack 5.0, lift kit