To Cover Or Not - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2023, 09:19 AM   #1
Nan

Trailer: 2023 5.0
To Cover Or Not

We just purchased a new 5.0 and truck this year, so building a carport is not happening at least until next year. We live in New England so we do get a fair amount of snow. Some say cover and some say it can scratch the fiberglass. Does anyone have a 5.0 cover they would recommend and do you cover your Escape?
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 09:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have had an Escape since 2009, live in Calgary, and have never covered the trailer. I find a good waxing at least once a year keeps things looking good. My trailer sits proudly in our back yard and looks good. I sure don't want to change that with a cover over it

Both my brothers own an Escape and sure the same with no issues.

Many do use covered and like them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 09:41 AM   #3
Nan

Trailer: 2023 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have had an Escape since 2009, live in Calgary, and have never covered the trailer. I find a good waxing at least once a year keeps things looking good. My trailer sits proudly in our back yard and looks good. I sure don't want to change that with a cover over it

Both my brothers own an Escape and sure the same with no issues.

Many do use covered and like them.

Thanks Jim. Good to hear the voice of experience. Do you have solar panels and / or lithium? I am going over the process of winterizing and some say to cover or disconnect the panels before turning off the MPPT controller. If you have solar, do you cover your panels?
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 10:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 2023 E19
This will be the first winter for my E19. I decided to go without a trailer cover. I suspect that there will be less chance of ice & snow adhering to the slick, freshly waxed gelcoat roof than a fabric cover.

I also plan to leave that LA batteries installed and rely on the exposed solar panels to keep them charged over winter. The storage lot is close enough to work that it shouldn't be an issue to stop by periodically to remove accumulated snow.

I am thinking of getting a cover for just for the AC unit ....
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 11:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Keeping it exposed to the elements will always imply risks. My fear is golf ball sized hail.
Attached Thumbnails
canopyC.jpg  
Old 10-10-2023, 11:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
Thanks Jim. Good to hear the voice of experience. Do you have solar panels and / or lithium? I am going over the process of winterizing and some say to cover or disconnect the panels before turning off the MPPT controller. If you have solar, do you cover your panels?
I do have 4 Lensun panels surface mounted. They stay connected all the time.

I was hit with a huge barrage of golf ball sized hail last year while camping. The trailer and panels survived well. The fridge vent, bath fan cap, emergency exit panel, A/C shroud and top of the awning cover all got damaged. My truck suffered the worst, receiving about $14k CAD damage. Good thing for insurance.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-10-2023, 11:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
We just purchased a new 5.0 and truck this year, so building a carport is not happening at least until next year. We live in New England so we do get a fair amount of snow. Some say cover and some say it can scratch the fiberglass. Does anyone have a 5.0 cover they would recommend and do you cover your Escape?
I live in S VT near Mount Snow in the mountains and we definitely get snow here. Sometimes the camper is totally buried. I do put up a cover as I am worried about snow loading and leaking from snow and rain.

My cover consists of two long 2 x 4s probably 2 or so feet taller than the highest point on the camper. I stand these up one at the front and one at the back and lash them in place. I then put a ridge 2 x 4 between them. I put a couple of midway props out of 2 x 4 s that extend from the roof(on a piece of plywood to protect the roof) to the ridge pole. On this I put a tarp cover and tie it down. This roof is steep enough to shed the snow on its own or if it is stickey and heavy with a little prodding from a roof rake. So far so good no problems with wind or collapsing from the snow. It does rub a bit here and there but I usually try to wax in the spring anyway. If you are in the Berkshires you may want to consider something like this but if you are in the CT river valley you are probably ok without...just keep an eye on it when we have those big Northeasters!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 12:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba and I use a cover. We get snow, cold and wind. The covers I've had have both come with vents so the wind can circulate air inside the cover. I do have to protect the sharp protrusions so they don't poke thru or rub holes in the fabric but I've pretty well got that figured out now.

I've had two different kinds of covers over the years since 2015. Our trailers are pretty small as 5th wheels go so it's tricky finding one to fit snuggly. Both of mine have come with snugging straps so being big wasn't really an issue. Both extended to the ground so tire protectors weren't really necessary when the cover was on. I do have tire protectors for when the cover is not in use.

The Adco we had first lasted 5 years and I had rub holes repaired a few times, then the top seam split and the fabric was distressed all over so we replaced it.

The Classic Accessories cover recommended by ETI was less costly than the Adco but of very poor quality. It came with a 3-year warranty and I've had the cover replaced three times. The white material of the top breaks down with the UV rays and disintegrates. Sometimes it lasts through the winter and sometimes not. They may have actually improved the white material because the last one I have lasted over the past winter and still seems fine for this winter. I won't order another of those when this one breaks down.
Old 10-10-2023, 01:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post

The Adco we had first lasted 5 years and I had rub holes repaired a few times, then the top seam split and the fabric was distressed all over so we replaced it.
Different folks, different experiences. My ADCO cover is 8 years old and in very good condition. I live in a rain forest so a cover is a no brainer. The tree needles and leafs alone would make a real mess requiring a lot of clean up in the Spring without the cover.

Maybe one reason why my ADCO cover has lasted so long is that I put a painter's drop sheet over the trailer first. It's soft and clingy and doesn't scratch the gelcoat and maybe keeps the cover from getting wear spots.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 03:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I'm covered

I've always kept my rigs covered when not in use. Old Mr. Sun is pretty hard on plastics, and even gel coat. I've not seen any evidence of scratching from the cover. Covers are a hassle to put on, but I do it. No permanent solar so I pull my batteries every Fall and store them in the garage, with a trickle charge every couple of weeks.
I had a 20 year old Casita and saw the chalking and degradation of the gel coat as it was likely never covered before I acquired it. I don't want to deal with that again.

To each their own.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 05:03 PM   #11

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
We installed one of those metal carports (12' x 26" for our 21C) to keep the hail and sun off anytime it is back home. The other nice thing is that it stays a bit cleaner.

Glad we did it.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 06:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Minnesota here, no cover. Last year the sliding snow and ice scaped the front graphics off our 5.0. The only other issue, which a cover won't solve, is that the snow covered our solar panels. We leave our lead acid batteries in the camper so the solar panels are not always keeping those charged.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 07:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Long story short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearwater View Post
We leave our lead acid batteries in the camper so the solar panels are not always keeping those charged.
Your batteries COULD freeze and be ruined with a lenghty sunless and snowy period. It happened to a buddy with an off-grid cabin. It cost him thou$and$.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 07:43 PM   #14

Kept at a good charge this will not happen. I have had many trailers over the years for work and pleasure and have never lost one due to freezing, even batteries with no solar I would give a charge once during the winter.

I do clean snow off periodically during the winter. An easy thing to do.

And Alberta can be cold [emoji6]
Old 10-10-2023, 08:59 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Your batteries COULD freeze and be ruined with a lenghty sunless and snowy period. It happened to a buddy with an off-grid cabin. It cost him thou$and$.
I kind of monitor the temps and snow fall. Last year I went out a couple of times to brush the snow off the panels. It's a pain, but easier than hauling those 6V batteries up to our condo.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 09:21 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
We bought a cover from ETI when we picked up our 5.0 a year and a half ago. We’ve never taken the cover out of the box. Using a painter’s drop sheet sounds like a good idea if we decide to cover it. It’s kinda a she-cave for Mary as it’s parked on the side of the house when not being used.

So far we’ve have it waxed twice at the truck wash (ceramic wax?) and we’ve waxed it once in the driveway with boat/rv wax. Still looking good.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 09:36 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I do clean snow off periodically during the winter. An easy thing to do.
Yah, but the light, powdery stuff you call snow isn't the same snow everyone gets. Here the typical snow is wet, heavy and turns to ice.
Not so easy to clean off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post

Using a painter’s drop sheet sounds like a good idea if we decide to cover it.
Inexpensive, wide and long enough that it's only one piece and totally waterproofs.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0008_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:22 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]

Inexpensive, wide and long enough that it's only one piece and totally waterproofs.

Ron
Each to his/her own but I believe the covers are made waterproof and breathable for a reason.
Old 10-11-2023, 10:37 AM   #19

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Rich 2022 %.0

Has any one found a need for one of those tri pod jacks for the front of the 5.0?
You see them used on larger 5th wheels. We are using a cover and we get alot of heavy snow in northern Wisconsin
richnel13@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 02:13 PM   #20
Wig

Trailer: 2022 21C
I live in Ct and have always covered my trailer. I had a 2014 Casita Spirit Deluxe which I covered with a Calmark cover. My rule of thumb was if my next trip was more than 3 weeks away I would cover the trailer. I would crack the windows(3 had Maxx Vents)
and roof vent for circulation. The Casita was washed and waxed at least once a year sometimes twice. I never had any issues with moisture and never detected and wear to the gel coat due to the trailer being covered. When I sold the Casita in 2022 it looked almost brand new. I have a Calmark ordered for the Escape, expensive but well made and long lasting.
Wig is offline   Reply With Quote