"The Trailer" is home! - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #221

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
What's currently out my back window

I hope in a few weeks this view will change as The Trailer will be somewhere far more interesting than the end of our driveway.

Hey, on a clear day and if some of those trees were gone, you'd see Mt Rainier! Which I can see from the attic by hunching over and looking out the small window.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04942.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:34 PM   #222

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Laura, that is a bead of clear silicone to seal the counter to the backsplash so no water can penetrate. We do that on every countertop we install. It just shows up against your laminate more than it would most. It could have been a smaller, neater (at least in the last photo) bead, but I see it done like that all the time, thus my reasons for wanting to do all the caulking in the kitchens and baths we do, because I have a method that is much neater.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:37 PM   #223

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Laura, that is a bead of clear silicone to seal the counter to the backsplash so no water can penetrate. We do that on every countertop we install. It just shows up against your laminate more than it would most. It could have been a smaller, neater bead, but I see it done like that all the time, thus my reasons for wanting to do all the caulking in the kitchens and baths we do, because I have a method that is much neater.
Yeah, that was explained to me. But can't a matte sealer be used instead of the glossy? I can't believe matte doesn't exist. It would have looked so much better than the glossy that stands out.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:44 PM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Yeah, that was explained to me. But can't a matte sealer be used instead of the glossy? I can't believe matte doesn't exist. It would have looked so much better than the glossy that stands out.
There is nothing matte that I have heard of, and it is not a sealer which can be bought in a matte finish. Sealer is used for stone and grout though. This is a silicone caulk. A water based clear acrylic caulk could be used, and has a bit more of an opaque look when dried. It might work fine for that application, but I it is an inferior product to a silicone based caulk.

If you were so inclined, you could get a silicon remover and first try a small section to see if you can get acceptable results, then do the whole thing, and caulk with the acrylic caulk. Though not readily available, you can get it in black, but the clear would work.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-15-2016, 05:24 PM   #225

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
you could always get a small tube of GE SIlicone II Black and try it since it is removable, but it won't be matte...since your Formica is dark, black silicone may be less noticeable for you especially over time...of course anything with a seam is probably going to be visible unlike the one piece curved backsplash and Formica top on inexpensive kitchen countertops
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #226

Toaster ovens

Thanks folks. I'll fiddle with it later. Got more fun stuff to do, like installing a pull out drawer in the microwave cabinet and figuring out which toaster oven I want to purchase off Amazon. Decided to go with that instead of a microwave as the clocks I make for sale will now be baked instead of coated with resin, which means if I'm at a show and someone wants a custom one, I can make it overnight (assuming it's a two day show, as I'm not leaving my booth unattended). Yay!

I was up way too late last night looking at all the toaster ovens out there. Need one with two racks, so that narrows it down quite a bit. I want to install the pull out drawer first to see what will fit inside it. And yes, I'll put it on the counter when I use it.

I thought about a microwave/convection oven, but they all seem too big or too heavy as I'm not moving a 49# thing around inside the trailer when I need it.

So, anyone have suggestions on a two rack toaster oven?
Old 12-15-2016, 05:37 PM   #227
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I highly recommend a Breville. Comes with one rack but you can get additional ones from the manufacturer and can easily use two racks at a time. The convection means even heat. Works very well.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #228
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Hi Laura,
like Jim said not sure about a matte finish but you might try color sil. 100% RTV Silicone Sealant, different colors and finishes: Standard, Satin, and Sanded. Might want to give it a try. good luck
100% Silicone Sealant in Over 300 Solid Colors | Color Rite, Inc.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnocker View Post
Hi Laura,
like Jim said not sure about a matte finish but you might try color sil. 100% RTV Silicone Sealant, different colors and finishes: Standard, Satin, and Sanded. Might want to give it a try. good luck
100% Silicone Sealant in Over 300 Solid Colors | Color Rite, Inc.
Good thought. I have many tubes of Color Rite caulking, which I mostly use with wood and laminate flooring where there is a gap. Not near as flexible though, as it dries fairly firm. The Color Sil caulk may be more flexible though.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:53 PM   #230

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Thanks folks. I'll fiddle with it later. Got more fun stuff to do, like installing a pull out drawer in the microwave cabinet and figuring out which toaster oven I want to purchase off Amazon. Decided to go with that instead of a microwave as the clocks I make for sale will now be baked instead of coated with resin, which means if I'm at a show and someone wants a custom one, I can make it overnight (assuming it's a two day show, as I'm not leaving my booth unattended). Yay!

I was up way too late last night looking at all the toaster ovens out there. Need one with two racks, so that narrows it down quite a bit. I want to install the pull out drawer first to see what will fit inside it. And yes, I'll put it on the counter when I use it.

I thought about a microwave/convection oven, but they all seem too big or too heavy as I'm not moving a 49# thing around inside the trailer when I need it.

Laura,

Which pull out drawer are you installing in the microwave cabinet? Is it from Shelves That Slide? If so, what size did you order?
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:55 PM   #231
Tin

We also like the Breville convection oven, but have some concern with 1800 watts on 15 amp circuit . Its good that the microwave outlet is on a dedicated 15 amp circuit but 1800 watts is at its upper limit .
Old 12-15-2016, 06:01 PM   #232
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnocker View Post
We also like the Breville convection oven, but have some concern with 1800 watts on 15 amp circuit . Its good that the microwave outlet is on a dedicated 15 amp circuit but 1800 watts is at its upper limit .
That's true, but I wonder what the watts actually are during normal use without cranking it all the way up. 1800 watts, I assume, is peak - at its highest temperature. We've had no issues with just baking at say, 350 to 375.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:18 PM   #233
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That's true, but I wonder what the watts actually are during normal use without cranking it all the way up. 1800 watts, I assume, is peak - at its highest temperature. We've had no issues with just baking at say, 350 to 375.
Hum, I was thinking of purchasing one and hooking it up to a watt meter to see how it does. heck worst case scenario we end up with a new toaster oven for the house Glad to see it's working for you might just give it a try thanks.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Laura,

Which pull out drawer are you installing in the microwave cabinet? Is it from Shelves That Slide? If so, what size did you order?
Well, dang never heard of these guys! We just got one off the shelf (HA!) from Lowe's last night. It's not quite as long or wide as the cupboard, so not sure how it'll work. Hopefully this Sunday we can start installing stuff (Saturday will be going to his mom's and helping her with her computer) and I'll know if it'll work. I'll report later (did you doubt I would?).

Will have to check these guys out and see what all they have. Thanks for mentioning them.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:47 PM   #235

Quote:
Well, dang never heard of these guys! We just got one off the shelf (HA!) from Lowe's last night. It's not quite as long or wide as the cupboard, so not sure how it'll work. Hopefully this Sunday we can start installing stuff (Saturday will be going to his mom's and helping her with her computer) and I'll know if it'll work. I'll report later (did you doubt I would?).

Will have to check these guys out and see what all they have. Thanks for mentioning them.
If possible while you are installing yours could you measure the clear opening width and depth of the cabinet? I would be grateful.

This is the one I have been looking at:
Shelves That Slide Premium Shelves
Old 12-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #236
Site Team

Quote:
If possible while you are installing yours could you measure the clear opening width and depth of the cabinet? I would be grateful.

Those are the ones I installed in our 19 Stephen. I'm afraid my dimensions wouldn't help you however, because I doubt my pantry width and depth is the same as the cabinet in your 21. I do recall that we ordered the standard 21 3/4" depth, but I don't recall the width.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:58 PM   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Those are the ones I installed in our 19 Stephen. I'm afraid my dimensions wouldn't help you however, because I doubt my pantry width and depth is the same as the cabinet in your 21. I do recall that we ordered the standard 21 3/4" depth, but I don't recall the width.
I believe I got the idea from an earlier posting of yours. Thanks for that. I was guessing the standard depth would be correct from other measurements I have seen. I'm sure Laura, trooper that she is, will get the info. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:02 PM   #238

I measured 23.5" deep by 16.75 wide, but I think a 17" would work. there's also a hose in the back of the cabinet, so if you don't go all the way back, a slightly wider shelf will work.

But, yeah, I'll double check all that tomorrow. And remember, if you get the cabinet door there's the gas hinge thingies that raise the door up, so they take a bit of the opening. However, they're at the top so if you're not using a tall basket you should be fine. I'll take a photo of the cabinet with the door open tomorrow. Off to the PO to drop off some shipments and then out for dinner! Much higher importance right now than a stinkin' trailer!
Old 12-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #239

Quote:

I would contemplate waiting until you take possession. I know it should be the same measurement, but if it wasn't you certainly would be bummed. I bet their turnaround time would not to be too long.

Besides, with actually seeing and using the trailer a time or two, you will develop lots of ideas of your own to incorporate. The trailer will be very usable as is until you can do the mods you wish.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:07 PM   #240

Quote:
I measured 23.5" deep by 16.75 wide, but I think a 17" would work. there's also a hose in the back of the cabinet, so if you don't go all the way back, a slightly wider shelf will work.

But, yeah, I'll double check all that tomorrow. And remember, if you get the cabinet door there's the gas hinge thingies that raise the door up, so they take a bit of the opening. However, they're at the top so if you're not using a tall basket you should be fine. I'll take a photo of the cabinet with the door open tomorrow. Off to the PO to drop off some shipments and then out for dinner! Much higher importance right now than a stinkin' trailer!
Cool, thanks