Air Tags, who is using them? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2024, 04:43 PM   #81

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
So how close to my house/iPad does an AirTag sitting in my trailer have to be before it is out of range and goes into anti staking mode and starts beeping.

Also if it does start beeping does it stop automatically if it sees my iPad again?

As a side note, our trailer is within the range of our wifi network if that makes a difference. We don’t have iPhones…just iPads that we use all the time. From what I have read I am not interested in Tile for Android.
Mine does not beep or signal my phone as long as the trailer is at home. If it moved from home and wasn't with my phone then it would let me know. I've never heard it beep as if I'm there so is the phone. But I get a message if I leave it in a campground and drive off without it. (Oh, darn, forgot the trailer again!)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 04:56 PM   #82

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
This is from the Air Tag page at apple.ca:

"AirTag is designed to discourage unwanted tracking. If someone else’s AirTag finds its way into your stuff, your iPhone will notice it’s travelling with you and send you an alert. After a while, if you still haven’t found it, the AirTag will start playing a sound to let you know it’s there.
Of course, if you happen to be with a friend who has an AirTag, or on a train with a whole bunch of people with AirTag, don’t worry. These alerts only get triggered when an AirTag is separated from its owner."

So does this mean that if a thief has your Air Tag equipped trailer, his iPhone will pick up that your Air tag is travelling with him and, after a while it will start playing a sound so he can find it and discard it? I may be misunderstanding but if not, isn't that kind of defeating the purpose of the device in the first place.
Old 01-18-2024, 06:02 PM   #83

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post

an Apple IIe. For a few years, that was what I used for all my computing needs, primarily word processing (remember dot matrix printers and dial-up connections!).
An Apple lle, now there's a blast from the past. I remember my dual disk drives, amber monitor and no mouse fondly, well sort of. After that it's been PC and Android all the way.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 06:38 PM   #84

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
My antique Series 2 Apple Watch is not supposed to have any fancy tracking info or the ability to make calls except when I am connected via Bluetooth to my Apple iPhone.

Strangely, when I take my very long walks every morning without my phone it can somehow track exactly where I walked, the elevation changes during the walk and the outside temperature.

Hmmm! I wonder how that works?

I've finally realized that I am the product.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 05:08 AM   #85

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
An Apple lle, now there's a blast from the past. I remember my dual disk drives, amber monitor and no mouse fondly, well sort of. After that it's been PC and Android all the way.

Ron
Ron, I actually owned in the following order an Apple IIe, an Apple IIc, and finally an Apple IIGS. In 1990 I switched jobs to an agency that used PCs (WordPerfect along with Lotus 123, but ultimately switched to Microsoft Office). In order to do any work at home I had to purchase a PC. When I retired in 2012, I stuck with PCs for the reasons I mentioned in an earlier post. I had no reason to keep up with changes to Apple’s computing products. All my personal work had been converted from “Apple format” to “PC format” and I am wasn’t willing to convert it back, although it is my understanding that Apple has made Mac so that it can run software written for PCs, or at least I thought I read that somewhere a few years back. Bottom line, however, I can still purchase/upgrade to both a new laptop and desktop for far less than a single Mac would set me back. Furthermore, Apple has released PC compatible software. I have iTunes on both my laptop and desktop, as well as iCloud, which I find superior to Microsoft’s cloud (My Drive, I believe). But with all that being said, I will still go to my deathbed believing the iPhone is superior to Android phones.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:39 AM   #86

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
So does this mean that if a thief has your Air Tag equipped trailer, his iPhone will pick up that your Air tag is travelling with him and, after a while it will start playing a sound so he can find it and discard it? I may be misunderstanding but if not, isn't that kind of defeating the purpose of the device in the first place.
Yes, but, you can remove the speaker making more difficult, but, not impossible to locate.

TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:16 PM   #87

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Yes, but, you can remove the speaker making more difficult, but, not impossible to locate.

Good video…and I presume if the thief doesn’t have an iPhone that there will be no notification.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 02:39 PM   #88
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Ron, I actually owned in the following order an Apple IIe, an Apple IIc, and finally an Apple IIGS. In 1990 I switched jobs to an agency that used PCs (WordPerfect along with Lotus 123, but ultimately switched to Microsoft Office). In order to do any work at home I had to purchase a PC. When I retired in 2012, I stuck with PCs for the reasons I mentioned in an earlier post. I had no reason to keep up with changes to Apple’s computing products. All my personal work had been converted from “Apple format” to “PC format” and I am wasn’t willing to convert it back, although it is my understanding that Apple has made Mac so that it can run software written for PCs, or at least I thought I read that somewhere a few years back. Bottom line, however, I can still purchase/upgrade to both a new laptop and desktop for far less than a single Mac would set me back. Furthermore, Apple has released PC compatible software. I have iTunes on both my laptop and desktop, as well as iCloud, which I find superior to Microsoft’s cloud (My Drive, I believe). But with all that being said, I will still go to my deathbed believing the iPhone is superior to Android phones.
The Apple I and Apple II computers were pre-Macintosh, which was first introduced in 1984.

I have used Macintosh computers since 1987 (and still have two operating 'compact Macs', SEs from the '80s). For about 15 years I also was in charge of a medical office full of Windows PCs (Win 95, plus Windows NT and 2000 Servers). At home I ran Win95 in emulation on my Macs, using a program called Parallels. I was very happy when we closed the office and I no longer had to deal with Microsoft products.

Modern Macs use USB-C/Thunderbolt ports for practically everything, and can run all the peripherals that Windows or Linux machines can (with hubs and adapters for older ports). The new M1/2/3 Apple processors are reportedly much faster than the Intel chips they have replaced. The Mac OS is in my view far superior to any flavor of Windows I have used (up through Win 7), both for ease of use and reliability. The prices of Macs for comparable specs are not very different from decent-quality PCs, like the Dell Latitudes.

I'm an online veteran of the 'PC vs. Mac Wars' of the '90s, so I'm a partisan—not of the company, but of its products. Obviously, YMMV. My current Macs, a 27" iMac and an 11.6" Macbook Air, are both from 2015, pre-USB-C; I'm about to update them to the latest OS they will support (OS 12.x, Monterey), and becoming envious of my 14-year-old grandson, who has a new 14" MacBook Pro; beautiful machine; it may be time. . .

My wife and I both have iPhone 6ses, now antiques. With newish batteries, they still work fine. Will they support Air Tags? The only Android gizmo in the house is my 'smart' Sony TV.
Old 01-19-2024, 04:13 PM   #89

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post

I did that mod to both of my Air Tags a few weeks ago but couldn’t do it without breaking two of the three tabs on each one. A dab of Super Glue did the trick and there is no reason to ever open them again. Easy to do, but not easy to keep the tabs intact.