Mopeka propane tank sensors - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2023, 08:18 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
Mopeka propane tank sensors

We were on the road and I wasn’t really sure how much propane I had in my tanks. I thought one was full and the other mostly full, but we were going to be relying on them for the next few weeks and I was kicking myself for not topping them both off before leaving. I hate that it is such a hassle to pull them out just to get any sense of what is in there, much less anything accurate.

We stopped at a Camping World for other reasons and my wife pointed out the Mopeka propane tank level sensors. My gut reaction was “too expensive” but she insisted.

Installed them the next day. No luck. One sensor wasn’t reporting the other kept giving conflicting reports.

A few days later I reinstalled them, taking the time to scrape the bottom of one old tank that I really need to replace and just thoroughly cleaning the other. Now I had a good signal from both and consistent readings.

I really like being able to check from in the trailer or from my phone and get an actual level.

Yes, it is expensive and finicky. But, once it works it is really nice.

Not sure how long the sensor batteries will work, so that is another caveat.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 05:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith3 View Post
We were on the road and I wasn’t really sure how much propane I had in my tanks. I thought one was full and the other mostly full, but we were going to be relying on them for the next few weeks and I was kicking myself for not topping them both off before leaving. I hate that it is such a hassle to pull them out just to get any sense of what is in there, much less anything accurate.

We stopped at a Camping World for other reasons and my wife pointed out the Mopeka propane tank level sensors. My gut reaction was “too expensive” but she insisted.

Installed them the next day. No luck. One sensor wasn’t reporting the other kept giving conflicting reports.

A few days later I reinstalled them, taking the time to scrape the bottom of one old tank that I really need to replace and just thoroughly cleaning the other. Now I had a good signal from both and consistent readings.

I really like being able to check from in the trailer or from my phone and get an actual level.

Yes, it is expensive and finicky. But, once it works it is really nice.

Not sure how long the sensor batteries will work, so that is another caveat.
I have an Escape 19 and there does not seem to be enough space between the bottom of the tank and the mounting bracket that the tank sits in to accept the tank monitor. Am I missing something? Thanks.
tpwolfe@outlook.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 06:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpwolfe@outlook.com View Post
I have an Escape 19 and there does not seem to be enough space between the bottom of the tank and the mounting bracket that the tank sits in to accept the tank monitor. Am I missing something? Thanks.
I believe I saw some clips or rings, either of which will raise the tank a bit to accommodate the device.
Old 05-26-2023, 09:03 PM   #4

Excellent... thanks!
Old 05-26-2023, 11:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpwolfe@outlook.com View Post
I have the mopeka sensors, it ships with little aluminum spacers, but they are a pain and tend to fall off when removing the tanks, I bought the optional rings and they work much better.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:35 AM   #6

Thanks. The rings look much sturdier. I’ll order rings with the sensors.