Portable gas grill recommendation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2017, 05:43 AM   #21

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Weber Q1200 rocks. For the extra $30 compared to the Q1000 you get an electronic ignition, folding side tables and a thermometer. Also the higher lid gives you a little more volume if you were to do a whole roast or chicken.
The electronic ignition is standard on all the Q grills.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:33 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The electronic ignition is standard on all the Q grills.
If what you mean is you don't need to light the burner with a match or butane type lighter, built in igniter is standard on all Q grills. But there is piezo ignition (sparked by pushing red colored plunger) and electronic ignition (requires a battery). Unless Weber has made a recent change, the Q1000 uses piezo, the Q1200 uses electronic.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
If what you mean is you don't need to light the burner with a match or butane type lighter, built in igniter is standard on all Q grills. But there is piezo ignition (sparked by pushing red colored plunger) and electronic ignition (requires a battery). Unless Weber has made a recent change, the Q1000 uses piezo, the Q1200 uses electronic.
You are correct, it's the red push button style on the 1000, didn't know there was an igniter that used a battery.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd65 View Post
We picked up our new 19 last month and are getting it outfitted a little bit at a time. We opted for the exterior propane quick connection. Looking for recommendations for a portable gas grill that will work with it. Thanks.
Love my Weber Baby Q it is one of the first out almost 10 yrs old! Still using the original piezo lighter and burner tubes and you can still get OEM parts. You can do a beer can chicken standing up. Step one wrap the two center sections of the burner tube w aluminum foil to simulate indirect cooking, step two put chicken standing on beer can on grill in center, step three close lid on chicken and wrap opening with foil, step four wait and drink beer, step five enjoy! No it is not my big home Weber w multiple burners but it works great and oh don't bring a toaster....just fire up the grill! I too removed the regulator and attached the ETI supplied hose. I plan on putting a female quick connect on the regulator (to hook it to the end of the hose) so we can still use the grill w portable tanks when away from the trailer.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #25

Quote:
You are correct, it's the red push button style on the 1000, didn't know there was an igniter that used a battery.
Bob, only reason I knew is because I have an older Baby Q (Q100) and about a year ago replaced my home grill with the Q2200 which has the shelves. It has the electronic igniter.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:15 AM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I had a feeling someone would pick up on this. It doesn't matter as long as it lights the grill! The electronic is nice, as long as the battery isn't dead.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd65 View Post
We picked up our new 19 last month and are getting it outfitted a little bit at a time. We opted for the exterior propane quick connection. Looking for recommendations for a portable gas grill that will work with it. Thanks.
On J.Bennett's recommendation on this forum, we bought a stainless steel Spitfire grill from Dickinson marine in 2013 when we purchased our 19'. We use the quick connect propane fitting on the trailer with the low pressure gas valve supplied by Dickinson for the grill. I had problems the first 2 years with the grill not heating up very well, but last year after installing a larger orifice supplied by Dickinson, the grill works very well. Should have done that the first year.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #28

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Another vote for Weber Baby Q!
We've had both models. The split grill is a nice feature that makes cleaning even less of a hassle.
We've lost a plate using the fold out tray...10 second rule for the flying hamburgers! We had a piece of shelf gripper that I now use..no problems!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Weber Q griddle

Since there are many Weber Q fans out there is anyone using the griddle accessory that replaces one half of the grate? I've placed a standard full size griddle on the grates and it worked well on a calm day, but almost ruined a meal on a tent camping trip when it was windy. Not enough heat transferred and the lid wasn't able to close all the way. Before spending $45 I was wondering if anyone had any experience to share.

www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/griddles-and-planchas/griddle-1
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Since there are many Weber Q fans out there is anyone using the griddle accessory that replaces one half of the grate? I've placed a standard full size griddle on the grates and it worked well on a calm day, but almost ruined a meal on a tent camping trip when it was windy. Not enough heat transferred and the lid wasn't able to close all the way. Before spending $45 I was wondering if anyone had any experience to share.

www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/griddles-and-planchas/griddle-1
Yes, Dave. Although I have the original Q100, which had the one piece grate, I purchased replacement grates and the griddle. The replacement grates came with two clips to support the "middle" of the grates because the Q100 does not have the support tabs that are cast into the "upgraded" Q1000.
Though small, the griddle works fine. If being somewhat restricted in size might be a bit inconvenient, I consider it preferable to packing a separate appliance for grilling stuff. I think the best way I can answer is to say you are not going to want to cook pancakes for 50 people, but for 2 or 3 it works fine. Weber does have a disclaimer telling you not to try using two griddles; one side must be open.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 17B "Tamago", 2019 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax Diesel
Another Weber vote!

I've been using our Weber Q100 for about 7 years now. I love the griddle for making pancakes and eggs in the morning. My griddle is not the half grill version, but rather the long one that allows space in the front and back to still grill sausages or bacon! Made the best pork chops on it, though the morel sauce my son created put them over the top!
I also use an Ozark Trail foldable table for the Weber when it's too rainy or sunny and I want to grill under the awning .
I removed the regulator as someone already suggested in order to use the quick connect function...and it's great! (Going to use another quick connect for the propane firepit)
The only downfall is space to hide the grill, as it doesn't fit in the storage box, so I store it under the rear dinette table in a 24 pop/beer can carton base...just the right size.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:41 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
What about storage of the grill at night? is it ever okay to leave it out? And am I right that the Weber 1000 fits in the storage box?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:49 AM   #33

I leave mine out at night with one of Weber's vinyl covers on it unless there are restrictions against it, like Yellowstone.

It goes inside a large Cabela's duffle bag for travel.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:24 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Never going to fit in a tongue box. Made this for mine - it flips upside down, becomes a table for the Q.
Attached Thumbnails
webrQ2.jpg  
Old 05-05-2017, 08:37 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
What about storage of the grill at night? is it ever okay to leave it out? And am I right that the Weber 1000 fits in the storage box?
In the Canadian National Parks, they will not let you leave your grills (or a host of other items) out around your campsite when you are not using them, as they are considered an attractant to wildlife, and as we know "a fed bear is a dead bear".

I travel with our Spitfire gas bbq on the floor of the trailer under the dining table, but at night will almost always set it inside the truck.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 05-05-2017, 09:32 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post

I travel with our Spitfire gas bbq on the floor of the trailer under the dining table, but at night will almost always set it inside the truck.
I kept mine under my driver's side dinette seat in my 19. I added cleats to the floor so it would not slide around, and did have to modify the middle support a bit to give it enough room.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:37 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I kept mine under my driver's side dinette seat in my 19. I added cleats to the floor so it would not slide around, and did have to modify the middle support a bit to give it enough room.
The black tank, EMS, and breaker box are all under the drivers side dinette bench in my 19' so no room there for the BBQ. The passengers side dinette contains my twin 6V batteries, so no room there either. The front storage box is just a tad too narrow to fit the BBQ (I tried tweaking the legs on the Spitfire, but would still not fit). So given all of that, we travel with the grill on the floor of the trailer and transfer it into the truck when we are in the trailer. I may keep looking for a slightly smaller grill in the future that would fit in the front storage box, but for now we make do with what we got.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
The black tank, EMS, and breaker box are all under the drivers side dinette bench in my 19' so no room there for the BBQ. The passengers side dinette contains my twin 6V batteries, so no room there either. The front storage box is just a tad too narrow to fit the BBQ (I tried tweaking the legs on the Spitfire, but would still not fit). So given all of that, we travel with the grill on the floor of the trailer and transfer it into the truck when we are in the trailer. I may keep looking for a slightly smaller grill in the future that would fit in the front storage box, but for now we make do with what we got.
Gotcha. All I had to deal with was the black tank, and there was room ahead of that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Is it possible to bake in the Q1200 with the griddle in place? I'm not thinking cake but more like casseroles or chicken pieces.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:27 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Is it possible to bake in the Q1200 with the griddle in place? I'm not thinking cake but more like casseroles or chicken pieces.
We have. Sometimes we will fold a piece of aluminum foil and "hang" it the front and the back of the grill, shaping it downward so that there is an air gap between the aluminum foil and the griddle. This serves as a heat deflector above the burners, but you have to be careful not to block more than 35% or 40% of the area above the burner. This provides a form of indirect heating. It is best if you have a model with a thermometer in the hood, but it is easy to add one to the models that don't have one. All it takes is drilling a hole. I sometimes prop the lid open slightly if maintaining a lower temperature is necessary. With a little experimentation, you can bake almost anything in these small grills, including a cake.