Wireless backup camera - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2023, 10:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 17A
Wireless backup camera

I purchased this for our 17A towed by a 2014 Nissan Frontier Pro4X (short box). With the camera on the back bumper under the spare tire, the camera and the screen are about 30' apart.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This thing works like a hot damn. Very clear, crisp picture of what's out back when reversing and driving. The camera battery lasts for hours, longer than I would ever want to drive in a day. Recharges relatively quickly on our big Bluetti. I love that I can move it to either side to see an obstacle more clearly.

My only complaint is that the screen unit is too big! It is hard to fit on the dash or attached to the windshield. I've just crammed it up there anyway, but will need to come up with a better long-term solution.

Thought this might be helpful to others.
Sarah Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 11:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
We’ve posted a recommendation for this very camera setup here before, so we whole-heartedly agree, Sarah. We use it on our 21C + F-150 SuperCrew 5.5’ bed setup, and we’ve never lost the signal between camera and monitor. Picture is crisp and clear, just as Sarah said.

Ours came with a 3M tape-backed metal plate for the camera to mount onto magnetically (and the magnet is very strong). We placed the metal plate under the rear window, above the spare tire.

We don’t need it for hitching, but the camera could be used for that too. It could also be used as a security camera (i.e., placed inside the tow vehicle and plugged in). Very versatile.

As for the monitor, our F-150 has an indentation in the middle of the dashboard (like a tray), and it fits there perfectly for us. We didn’t mount it because we store it away when not towing.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
We’ve posted a recommendation for this very camera setup here before, so we whole-heartedly agree, Sarah. We use it on our 21C + F-150 SuperCrew 5.5’ bed setup, and we’ve never lost the signal between camera and monitor. Picture is crisp and clear, just as Sarah said.
Sorry, I didn't see that review! Glad to hear you've had a similar experience.
Old 05-16-2023, 06:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Henderson View Post
Sorry, I didn't see that review! Glad to hear you've had a similar experience.
Oh, that’s perfectly alright, Sarah. It was awhile ago, so it’s buried in an old thread somewhere. Glad you found this camera setup too! We saw it on an RVers YouTube video (Rivet n Roll) as we were doing our build sheet, and we decided to go with the Haloview system over the wired rear camera offered by Escape. Like you, we’ve been very happy with our choice so far. Happy camping!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 07:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
My only complaint is that the screen unit is too big! It is hard to fit on the dash or attached to the windshield. I've just crammed it up there anyway, but will need to come up with a better long-term solution.

FWIW, the screen on my backup camera is the same size (7 inches), and I ended up clipping it to the front of my rearview mirror. It's actually a good place: it's visible at a glance, but doesn't get in the way of the normal forward view.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20230207_150746403.jpg   PXL_20230207_150958385.jpg  
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 07:51 PM   #6

That's worth a lot! Great tip, will see what we can do. Thank you! What are those hooks/clips that you have?
Old 05-16-2023, 09:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
That's worth a lot! Great tip, will see what we can do. Thank you! What are those hooks/clips that you have?
Those were something I threw together my 3d printer. If you have access to a 3d printer, I'd be happy to share the design files.

Otherwise, I wonder if something like this would fit your display?

https://www.haloview.com/haloview-mi...a-monitor.html
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 11:31 PM   #8

That thing looks handy for sure, and a decent price -- except for the $27 shipping! I don't have a 3D printer, but I have a friend who would do it for me. Thanks for the offer! First let me see what I can rig up, though. It'll be a few weeks before I can work on it, but stay tuned!