Hello from southeast PA - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2024, 07:55 AM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C -- 2018 GMC Canyon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedFan31 View Post
Thank you! We're happy to take any recommendations you have here in PA if you have any that you'd care to share.
I'm still working on that retirement promotion so the camping trips have not been as frequent as I'd like.

@nepaweb hit some good spots. Black Moshannon SP was pretty cool, just northwest of State College.

One of our fav spots is Cape Henlopen SP in DE. Just be careful not to go during greenhead fly hatch or you'll be inside the camper the whole time.
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:07 AM   #22

Trailer: 2024 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry George View Post
Welcome aboard. Like you I am waiting on my E19 trailer, which we should have in April. Also, like you, its our first RV. Must admit to being a little overwhelmed with all there is to learn. Reminds me of when we started a family. Overwhelmed until he came home, then it all unfolds naturally and intuitively, with small bouts of panic now and then. Good luck and happy camping.
Yeah, exactly. Overwhelming but we all have to start somewhere, right? I've been watching a lot of videos across a wide range of topics, especially the ones about setup/tear down and the things to do or not do so that we don't look like idiots. But, I'm sure we will have our share of stupid things that we will do.

Congratulations on yours too! Only two months to go for you! Enjoy! Are you picking it up or having it delivered?
FedFan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontom View Post
Welcome Kevin
Met at Bald Eagle State Park near State College for family reunion a couple years ago. Beautiful campground. Lake, lodge, trails and great park for biking. Also, if you're inclined, wonderful fly fishing area.
John
Thank you, John. I will check it out!
Old 02-27-2024, 08:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
I'm still working on that retirement promotion so the camping trips have not been as frequent as I'd like.

@nepaweb hit some good spots. Black Moshannon SP was pretty cool, just northwest of State College.

One of our fav spots is Cape Henlopen SP in DE. Just be careful not to go during greenhead fly hatch or you'll be inside the camper the whole time.
Thank you! "Greenhead fly hatch"?!?! I am guessing that's flies/insects of some sort? When does that usually happen?
Old 02-27-2024, 08:39 AM   #25

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C -- 2018 GMC Canyon
Quote:
Thank you! "Greenhead fly hatch"?!?! I am guessing that's flies/insects of some sort? When does that usually happen?
Nasty little biting horsefly that are in salt marshes. If you swat them and they don't die, they come right back for more.

We only encountered them on one trip, I believe it was the 2nd week of July a few years ago. I believe there is only a 1-2 week window in summer when they are super active.
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
Nasty little biting horsefly that are in salt marshes. If you swat them and they don't die, they come right back for more.

We only encountered them on one trip, I believe it was the 2nd week of July a few years ago. I believe there is only a 1-2 week window in summer when they are super active.
Good to know. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2024, 09:18 AM   #27

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
Quote:
Yeah, exactly. Overwhelming but we all have to start somewhere, right? I've been watching a lot of videos across a wide range of topics, especially the ones about setup/tear down and the things to do or not do so that we don't look like idiots. But, I'm sure we will have our share of stupid things that we will do.

Congratulations on yours too! Only two months to go for you! Enjoy! Are you picking it up or having it delivered?
I am having it delivered to Toronto, mainly because it was offered free during the Black Friday sale. I am a little nervous that my first experience with the trailer will be pulling it out of the bowels of Toronto on a very busy highway. I only like cities on foot. Hoping its shows up on a weekend - maybe middle of the night.
Garry George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:02 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry George View Post
I am having it delivered to Toronto, mainly because it was offered free during the Black Friday sale. I am a little nervous that my first experience with the trailer will be pulling it out of the bowels of Toronto on a very busy highway. I only like cities on foot. Hoping its shows up on a weekend - maybe middle of the night.
Yeah, I am with you there too. It's going to be very nerve-racking towing around big cities. I'm sure we will have many a trip where we will have to contemplate navigating Baltimore and DC. That seems very intimidating now. But, I'm sure as we do it more and more, it will become more comfortable. Definitely will be taking it easy and extremely cautious though.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:03 PM   #29

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Yeah, I am with you there too. It's going to be very nerve-racking towing around big cities. I'm sure we will have many a trip where we will have to contemplate navigating Baltimore and DC. That seems very intimidating now. But, I'm sure as we do it more and more, it will become more comfortable. Definitely will be taking it easy and extremely cautious though.
Hi, FedFan31. Welcome to our ever growing Escape community! I just wanted to send along some encouragement from someone who was in your shoes almost two years ago. Towing our 21C was a first for us, as was RV ownership. It was all quite daunting at first, but I was happily surprised at how quickly we picked things up. These Escape trailers tow like a dream, and their relative small footprint going down the road makes it much less stressful. You’ll get the hang of it sooner than you think.

One bit of advice would be to make a step-by-step checklist for everything. This especially helped BIG TIME with the hitching and unhitching process since I had never done that before. I watched the “E2 by Fastway Hitch Set-up” video on Escape’s website and wrote down every step in a notebook that I still keep in my F-150 center console (for any brain-freeze moments I might have ).

The coupler on Escape trailers can be finicky, so take note of the advice given in the video to go back and put your tow vehicle in neutral for a moment if you’re having trouble. This has saved us several times. Pay close attention to the Escape video at the 11:00 minute mark for that part, and ALWAYS chock your trailer wheels before unhitching - I chock front and back of the wheels ever since we had our trailer jack slide while unhitching once, yikes!

Like I said, this will all seem overwhelming in the beginning but it will “click” for you sooner than you think. Just be glad you only have to wait four months. Back when we ordered in March of 2021 our original wait time was TWO YEARS! Thankfully, though, Escape ramped up their production resources and our wait was accelerated to “only” about 14 months. Have fun with that build sheet! If you have any questions about that just ask here. You’ll get opposing views on some items, but if you listen and then go with your instincts you’ll end up with an Escape trailer you’ll love!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 12:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
Hi, FedFan31. Welcome to our ever growing Escape community! I just wanted to send along some encouragement from someone who was in your shoes almost two years ago. Towing our 21C was a first for us, as was RV ownership. It was all quite daunting at first, but I was happily surprised at how quickly we picked things up. These Escape trailers tow like a dream, and their relative small footprint going down the road makes it much less stressful. You’ll get the hang of it sooner than you think.

One bit of advice would be to make a step-by-step checklist for everything. This especially helped BIG TIME with the hitching and unhitching process since I had never done that before. I watched the “E2 by Fastway Hitch Set-up” video on Escape’s website and wrote down every step in a notebook that I still keep in my F-150 center console (for any brain-freeze moments I might have ).

The coupler on Escape trailers can be finicky, so take note of the advice given in the video to go back and put your tow vehicle in neutral for a moment if you’re having trouble. This has saved us several times. Pay close attention to the Escape video at the 11:00 minute mark for that part, and ALWAYS chock your trailer wheels before unhitching - I chock front and back of the wheels ever since we had our trailer jack slide while unhitching once, yikes!

Like I said, this will all seem overwhelming in the beginning but it will “click” for you sooner than you think. Just be glad you only have to wait four months. Back when we ordered in March of 2021 our original wait time was TWO YEARS! Thankfully, though, Escape ramped up their production resources and our wait was accelerated to “only” about 14 months. Have fun with that build sheet! If you have any questions about that just ask here. You’ll get opposing views on some items, but if you listen and then go with your instincts you’ll end up with an Escape trailer you’ll love!
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely check out that video on Escape's website. Haven't come across it yet but it was just a matter of time as I've watched quite a few already. I have seen other hitching/un-hitching videos and they too have recommended the checklist. So I have definitely been planning on doing that.

Great advice for the coupler too. I hadn't heard about that until you mentioned it so I will definitely pay attention to that!

As for the build sheet, we are curious on any opinions for the compressor fridge. We aren't sure whether to opt for that or not. Also, any thoughts on the aluminum rim package? I'm leaning towards it but my wife is not that convinced. We're not sure yet if we will get the power awning or just stay at the manual one either. That's what comes to mind right now. I think there are a few other things we've been debating about too.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:44 PM   #31

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Barb and I hate cities. We go miles out of our way to avoid them. I grew up in Houston, and she grew up on a farm. We spent most of our career in a small Eskimo village in the Arctic and loved it. There were no roads or cars. I picked our 19 up in central Kansas City and dropped it on the bumper of our Ranger and brought it home. There was no way Barb wanted any part of that. It’s really not difficult to tow if you are an attentive driver. For me, it was not a problem. When we visit cities, we camp away and bus or train in. For example, next fall we are visiting the old city in Philadelphia. Barb has never been there, and it has been 48 years since I was last there. We have been close in NJ and DE, just not in Philadelphia. We are taking an Amtrak bus from Reading into town. Then we have a bed and breakfast for two nights in a 1769 home in the old city. When we come back we have the next week in that part of the state to day trip out of our campsite.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Barb and I hate cities. We go miles out of our way to avoid them. I grew up in Houston, and she grew up on a farm. We spent most of our career in a small Eskimo village in the Arctic and loved it. There were no roads or cars. I picked our 19 up in central Kansas City and dropped it on the bumper of our Ranger and brought it home. There was no way Barb wanted any part of that. It’s really not difficult to tow if you are an attentive driver. For me, it was not a problem. When we visit cities, we camp away and bus or train in. For example, next fall we are visiting the old city in Philadelphia. Barb has never been there, and it has been 48 years since I was last there. We have been close in NJ and DE, just not in Philadelphia. We are taking an Amtrak bus from Reading into town. Then we have a bed and breakfast for two nights in a 1769 home in the old city. When we come back we have the next week in that part of the state to day trip out of our campsite.
Yeah, I'm confident that driving in the cities won't be a major problem for me as I am a pretty attentive driver. But, I think I will still prefer to avoid them as well. That's why I like the earlier idea of coming back on Hwy 2 after picking it up and leaving that area.
Old 02-27-2024, 02:00 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Welcome to this wonderful group. We have one of the first 21C's made (#8) and are still having a blast. We know that you will make wonderful memories and many friends, as we have over the years.
Happy Trails, and as always, Safe travels,
Dave & Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 02:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Welcome to this wonderful group. We have one of the first 21C's made (#8) and are still having a blast. We know that you will make wonderful memories and many friends, as we have over the years.
Happy Trails, and as always, Safe travels,
Dave & Kathie
Wow! That's awesome! Glad to hear. We are really looking forward to the many wonderful adventures we are going to experience together!
Old 02-27-2024, 02:49 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
My favorite state park in the entire US is Ricketts Glen in northeast PA. There are 22 waterfalls and many more beautiful cascades in the streams where they are located. About a 7 mile hike if you want to see all of them. 2 campgrounds & a lake in the park, some sites with hookups. Bathrooms with hot showers.

More photos:
Attached Thumbnails
ASE_1072.jpg   ASE_1212.jpg   ASE_1178.jpg  
Old 02-27-2024, 02:58 PM   #36

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Quote:
Hello! Thank you. I will do that. My parents actually live in northern WI about 30 miles south of Hwy 2 which goes through the UP of Michigan. So I've been on that part at least from Iron Mountain, MI to St. Ignace, MI. That's a beautiful drive there! I didn't realize that went all the way out to Seattle. And, goes on the south end of Glacier. Perfect! Thanks for the suggestion!

Do you have any recommendations here in PA?
Anything close to Falling Water, Frank Lloyd Wrights architectural master piece, in south western PA.
We tend to go more out of state when doing regional travel. Some of our favorites:
-Finger Lakes, Watkins Glenn(some international friends of ours like it better than Niagara Falls), also Robert Treman park near Ithaca
-Assateague Island (Maryland State Park), our all time favorite, we've spent more than a year of our lives sleeping in the sand there over the last 33 years.
-Close to where we are, probably 90 minutes from where you are, Hickory Run SP, with "Boulder Field" as an attraction
https://www.poconomountains.com/list...er-field/1188/
Enjoy!
Padre
-ditto on Jon's Ricketts Glen recommendation
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 04:50 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Our experience camping in PA has been mostly overnights on our way to VA (where daughter and family live), in Promised Land SP (off I84) and Locust Lake SP (off I81), both very nice and open all year. Did spend a couple of nights in HIckory Run SP, in order to visit Jim Thorpe, PA and ride the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway. The Boulder Field at Hickory Run is worth a look.

Did have plans for a visit to the Pennsylvania Wilds last July, but our Ford Expedition broke down on the way out, and killed that trip; maybe this summer. Also want to take in the East Broad Top RR sometime. For railfans, PA is a mecca, with The Strasburg RR, the RR Museum of PA, Steamtown USA in Scranton, the famous Horseshoe Curve, and many others.

Welcome to the Escape Owners Forum!
Old 02-28-2024, 03:59 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
My favorite state park in the entire US is Ricketts Glen in northeast PA. There are 22 waterfalls and many more beautiful cascades in the streams where they are located. About a 7 mile hike if you want to see all of them. 2 campgrounds & a lake in the park, some sites with hookups. Bathrooms with hot showers.

More photos:
Beautiful! This is definitely going on the short list! Thank you!
Old 02-28-2024, 04:03 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
Anything close to Falling Water, Frank Lloyd Wrights architectural master piece, in south western PA.
We tend to go more out of state when doing regional travel. Some of our favorites:
-Finger Lakes, Watkins Glenn(some international friends of ours like it better than Niagara Falls), also Robert Treman park near Ithaca
-Assateague Island (Maryland State Park), our all time favorite, we've spent more than a year of our lives sleeping in the sand there over the last 33 years.
-Close to where we are, probably 90 minutes from where you are, Hickory Run SP, with "Boulder Field" as an attraction
https://www.poconomountains.com/list...er-field/1188/
Enjoy!
Padre
-ditto on Jon's Ricketts Glen recommendation
Thank you, Padre. I have wanted to get up to the Finger Lakes area for a long time but just haven't.

Assateague Island (Maryland State Park) - Can you literally drive onto and stay on the beach here? That would be cool!
Old 02-28-2024, 04:09 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Our experience camping in PA has been mostly overnights on our way to VA (where daughter and family live), in Promised Land SP (off I84) and Locust Lake SP (off I81), both very nice and open all year. Did spend a couple of nights in HIckory Run SP, in order to visit Jim Thorpe, PA and ride the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway. The Boulder Field at Hickory Run is worth a look.

Did have plans for a visit to the Pennsylvania Wilds last July, but our Ford Expedition broke down on the way out, and killed that trip; maybe this summer. Also want to take in the East Broad Top RR sometime. For railfans, PA is a mecca, with The Strasburg RR, the RR Museum of PA, Steamtown USA in Scranton, the famous Horseshoe Curve, and many others.

Welcome to the Escape Owners Forum!
We want to check out Jim Thorpe, PA too ever since we saw a travel video on it late last fall. Would like to take that same train ride there. And, yes, lots of railroads in PA. We have one that we can ride right in our home tome of Stewartstown, PA. Also in New Freedom, PA there is one that we have ridden up to York, PA and back.

PA is a beautiful state! I'm originally from Wisconsin, which is beautiful in its own right. But I do love PA. Not as cold of winters and a lot of gorgeous natural beauty!