Moving from Scamp to Escape 5.0, Hopefully - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2024, 05:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 TA
Moving from Scamp to Escape 5.0, Hopefully

Hello all! My husband and I have used a 2013 Scamp fifth wheel for seven years, even lived in it for six months upon retiring! We travel often and far, loving the freedom of small trailer camping. We longingly look at the Escape 5.0s that we see on the road and in campgrounds. Now that our Scamp is 10 years old we find most places won't rent by the month to us. (Even though our 2013 looks almost exactly like the newer ones.) We are making a decision to pursue the Escape but do have some hurtles to jump before making the final purchase. Mainly, we pull our Scamp easily with our Toyota Tacoma and need to see if the Escape will be OK with that.
It was fantastic to find this site and all the information found here.
TM2TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 07:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM2TC View Post
Hello all! My husband and I have used a 2013 Scamp fifth wheel for seven years, even lived in it for six months upon retiring! We travel often and far, loving the freedom of small trailer camping. We longingly look at the Escape 5.0s that we see on the road and in campgrounds. Now that our Scamp is 10 years old we find most places won't rent by the month to us. (Even though our 2013 looks almost exactly like the newer ones.) We are making a decision to pursue the Escape but do have some hurtles to jump before making the final purchase. Mainly, we pull our Scamp easily with our Toyota Tacoma and need to see if the Escape will be OK with that.
Your Tacoma isn’t up for the job, I have Tundra and hills are no problem at all.
My Tacoma was a 2013 6 cylinder, I owned a 5th wheel Scamp for a short while and wasn’t comfortable with it as a tow vehicle. You will definitely need to upgrade to a full size pickup to pull a 5.0.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 10:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: TM2TC... We pulled our new 2014 Escape 5.0TA with our 2010 4L V6 Nissan Frontier even though I was told it couldn't handle it. Traded it in 2018 w/ 180000kilo's on the clock and it did just fine. Make sure you have a good hitch installer who doesn't mind work!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040198.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 05:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
While a full sized pickup might be preferable, I would never claim it is “definitely” needed. Also, be aware that the current 5.0TA is a bit heavier than the original 5.0TAs manufactured before ETI changed the molds and provided for a wider door.
Honestly, don’t be honest if you like your Scamp. If it looks like new, it is doubtful any camping business or resort offering seasonal rates can tell if it is one year old or 20 years old. Age and year of manufacture isn’t obvious like it would be comparing a ‘57 Chevy to a ‘58 Chevy. Their only reason for a 10 year rule is to prevent complaints from the resident “homeowner association” types who want to tell others their lawns need to be mowed because the grass is an eighth of an inch too tall in a sticks and bricks neighborhood, or more applicable to RVing, you need to paint your hitch because the color has faded or the paint is chipped. Your Scamp isn’t falling apart like stick built trailers do. I would not upgrade if you are happy with what you have; I would only do so if you are unhappy with it or want the features that an Escape offers that are not in your Scamp.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 TA
Happy to report we are now the owners of a 2021 escape 5.0TA! We have pulled it from Los Angeles to Las Vegas to Lake Havasu City to Quartzite back to Las Vegas and are now on our way home to Washington. Our 2016 Tacoma is doing just fine! However we have the factory installed tow package allowing us to pull more weight. The turning radius is a bit of a concern but we are adjusting the hitch as we go. We are loving it!
TM2TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 10:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE "Escape to Margaritaville"
Congratulations on your new purchase. Big difference between the Scamp and the Escape. I can tell you are loving it...... Continue making memories and enjoying life and its adventures.

Cheers to ya....... and Happy Trails...... Jack
jack sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 10:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
You transitioned seamlessly..as it should be.... Mad adventures ahead for you...
Old 03-09-2024, 05:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Happy to report we are now the owners of a 2021 escape 5.0TA! We have pulled it from Los Angeles to Las Vegas to Lake Havasu City to Quartzite back to Las Vegas and are now on our way home to Washington. Our 2016 Tacoma is doing just fine! However we have the factory installed tow package allowing us to pull more weight. The turning radius is a bit of a concern but we are adjusting the hitch as we go. We are loving it!
Congratulations on the new trailer.

I admire your adventurous spirit in trying the Tacoma as a TV despite the naysayers. Good on ya.

I look forward to hearing more about your rigs performance.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:50 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Congratulations! You are in for some great adventures.

When you have time, please share your hitch details such as rail mounting kit, etc. There are some, ahem, rabid Tacoma owners on the forum that would likely benefit from that info.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote