Seeking Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2024, 09:19 AM   #1

Trailer: Still in the hunt
Arrow Seeking Escape 19

Good morning everyone. Please help me join the Escape owners family. I'm looking for a pre-Covid Escape 19. Please contact me if you know of any possibilities. Thanks and all the best.
John-in-Texas
seeking-escape-19@use.startmail.com
John in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 21
Welcome n good luck in finding your Escape
Old 02-21-2024, 11:04 AM   #3

Arrow Thanks.

Thanks for your message. Please let me know if you find a sweet 19 in Texas.
John-in-Texas
Old 02-23-2024, 04:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Keep looking I'm sure there is one out there for you

We stumbled upon ours 6 months ago and are totally pleased with it. If I come across anything out my way, I will let you know. Keep an eye on this Foram and the factory also lists used Escapes. Good luck in your quest.
Ken in AZ
Drives1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 07:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Texas View Post
Good morning everyone. Please help me join the Escape owners family. I'm looking for a pre-Covid Escape 19. Please contact me if you know of any possibilities. Thanks and all the best.
John-in-Texas
seeking-escape-19@use.startmail.com

I recommend that you have your money ready and be ready to jump on one if its comes available within your driving range. They are fewer and further between down south here so be ready to travel. We bought ours last year out of New Mexico and a 650mi drive is a fairly local purchase for one of these.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 07:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberman View Post
I recommend that you have your money ready and be ready to jump on one if its comes available within your driving range. They are fewer and further between down south here so be ready to travel. We bought ours last year out of New Mexico and a 650mi drive is a fairly local purchase for one of these.
All good advice. We drove 1700 miles from Iowa to Arizona one way. Twice. And 2200 one way to get solar installed at the Escape Factory. All great “vacations with a purpose”. And great memories.

We were not at all hesitant to provide the seller with a deposit to his bank. The reviews of his trailers by regular posters on this forum reassured us of the quality and honesty of the offer to sell.

Now we consider them good friends and we’ve driven a thousand miles a couple times to camp with them in Colorado. It’s only money and there aren’t any pockets on a casket.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-23-2024, 11:19 PM   #7

seeking-escape-19

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the good information and encouragement. I'm trying to balance between finding a sweet used Escape 19 and buying new. Soul searching ... and itching to travel !!
Some questions for the Build Sheet if we buy new:
1) Don't want to penetrate the roof so would get wired for solar -- without roof panels. Would use suitcase panels.
2) Trying to decide between the Coleman and Houghton AC (SoftStart on each).Thanks again.
3) Advice on 2-way vs 12v fridge?
4) Would want 3000 Lithium and related equipment. Cheaper to get after-market and have better control over latest equipment and installation?
5) Locate batteries and equipment under dinette benches? Or under bed? Or in front box? For security and better environment for equipment? Balance?
6) Drill-driven tongue jack vs power jack installed?
7) Framed vs un-framed, tilting windows?
8) Will I need anti-sway and WDH towing with a 9,000 lb. capacity Nissan Titan?

I know I'm asking for a lot of advice. Any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks and all the best.

John-in-Texas
Old 02-24-2024, 07:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
1. There are many solar installs that don’t penetrate the roof, although vents and A/ C do to a far greater degree.
2. Bot are fine. Many like the Houghton. The Coleman can have a heat strip, the Houghton has models with a heat pump. Some folks claim heat strips don’t work. Coleman recommends it as supplemental, but it will heat our 19 down into the teens F if needed.
3. This will be all over the map. Both can be used for boondocking if you spend enough on 12V and charging to run a compressor fridge for long periods. Absorption makes for cheaper boondocking, compressor is more tempature stable.
4. Up to you. Don’t know your time, skills, and financial situation.
5. Tongue weight is important, battery temperature can also be important. Proper trailer balance is more important, and you have to weigh trailer and vehicle to know that.
6. Whatever you like. I have manual. Some day I’ll make it drill driver capable, but I’m in no rush.
7. Most people have no trouble with either window. As far as I know, I’m the only one who has had trouble with sliders.
8. Sway is a balance issue, not a tow vehicle size issue. I use an Equalizer on my Escape. My other trailers are all on the ball. Weight/balance matters. I prefer wdh’s, but it’s hard to fit to some of my trailers. If I could, they would all have it. However, a wdh alone is not automatic sway prevention. I have towed my Escape without one.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:05 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Question #6

With my previously owned E19 I used manual jack post it came with, and then switched to drill powered. I had to buy a more powerful Milwaukee M18 drill to do the job. This Winter I purchased an Amazon Bulldog 500187 Black A-Frame Jack with Powered Drive, 3,500 lbs.
That purchase was a "return" item, at 1/2 new cost and received in perfect operating and physical condition.
Not installed yet due to cold and off site rig storage, but it was tested and does the deed.
A powerful drill is required and it can wrench a wrist pretty easily when you get to either ends of the jack post travel. That is why I finally acquired the electric jack post.
My driveway does require near full extension of the jack post to get level. As noted, coffins don't have pockets, and if this equipment prevents some injury, I'm ahead.

Manual raising works just fine, unless it's hot out and you have a lot to raise.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 02:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
With my previously owned E19 I used manual jack post it came with, and then switched to drill powered. I had to buy a more powerful Milwaukee M18 drill to do the job. This Winter I purchased an Amazon Bulldog 500187 Black A-Frame Jack with Powered Drive, 3,500 lbs.
That purchase was a "return" item, at 1/2 new cost and received in perfect operating and physical condition.
Not installed yet due to cold and off site rig storage, but it was tested and does the deed.
A powerful drill is required and it can wrench a wrist pretty easily when you get to either ends of the jack post travel. That is why I finally acquired the electric jack post.
My driveway does require near full extension of the jack post to get level. As noted, coffins don't have pockets, and if this equipment prevents some injury, I'm ahead.

Manual raising works just fine, unless it's hot out and you have a lot to raise.
Thanks for the good advice. I'm rethinking ...
John-in-Texas
Old 02-27-2024, 04:33 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I'm on a run

So here's more of my opinions.

Item #1.
I wouldn't sweat the roof penetration issue. Stock, mine has 4 already, 3 of them quite large. A dinky feed-through for a roof top solar fitting can be installed and be easily waterproof for life. If you use 3M 5200 sealant, it's lifetime installed as that is one used in marine applications and is very tenacious and long lived. I don't have roof top solar, thought about it, but 200W of portable works well enough.

Item 8.
Because of the 4 trailer wheels, an E19 is less susceptible to sway. Loading and balance need to be considered. A WDH is highly recommended by me. I've towed with and without, and it greatly reduces porpoising when going over bumps and it transfers weight & stress. I tow with a 1 ton capacity, full size, 6L, V-8 van. Little issue with that vehicle of the tail wagging the dog, but I have felt some with high winds.
The WDH is a tired, beaten into the ground issue. Those who don't have one and swear all is great simply have never used one. They're a bit of an effort to use, but having fun is a lot of work, in my experience. I'd very highly recommend a WDH, and I have no preferences on brand or type.

Item??
Don't be afraid to get an older Escape rig. These fiberglass trailers last a long, long time. Any Escape, any vintage, is a pretty safe bet. It's the shell and the "bones" or structure that matter. All the do-dads, converters, microwaves, brakes, fans, etc. are common replacement items. Certainly, it's operating condition is important, but the appliances are just that..replaceable. You will need sturdy "bones".

Have fun.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote