USA Sales Taxes - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2024, 09:59 AM   #21

Trailer: 2024 21NE F2
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
It is a life or death situation for ETI simply because customers in the U.S. account for most of its sales. What would happen to Casita if it were only allowed to sell its trailers in Texas, and they couldn’t be sold after purchase to anyone not a Texas resident. What about Tabasco if it could only sell its hot sauces in Louisiana or perhaps only in 4 other states? Over-dramatization, I really don’t think so. When a company looses the vast majority of its customer base which is its lifeline, the company most often goes out of business. Or one could say it “dies.”
Hyperbole by any other name.

Companies adapt or close--it's that simple and complicated.
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:44 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
I know last time I bought a vehicle at a dealership, the dealership collected the sale tax and forwarded it to the state. In the dealerships case they were only dealing with one state / bureaucracy. ETI is selling to possibly 50 different states, I think they are just trying to show that the sales taxes are being paid so they are not required to collect them and then send to the different states.

If they are required to collect the taxes it will cause an accounting nightmare and increase their cost of doing business and the cost will get added on to the cost we pay for them to do the paper work. I was allowed to fax the paper work to ETI, not a big inconvenience.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 01:36 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
Hyperbole by any other name.

Companies adapt or close--it's that simple and complicated.
Whatever you say. You have a right to your opinion. But Escape would not be able to “adapt” as you say if its US customers did not exist. And that is not exaggeration by any means.
Old 01-18-2024, 03:44 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... We're all crooks. ETI is just asking for proof!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 06:49 PM   #25

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Whatever you say. You have a right to your opinion. But Escape would not be able to “adapt” as you say if its US customers did not exist. And that is not exaggeration by any means.
Agreed!.... But we love ETI and they love us....Or else they wouldn't be flying peeps down to Fl Egg rally and others to represent and sell. Or giving Ambassador showing money.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:24 AM   #26

Trailer: 2012 E19
I can understand ETI's position. Any government could send a letter demanding payment for unpaid sales taxes, and it's really hard (if not impossible) to "fight city hall" as they say. Best to get out in front of the bureaucrats before they strike!

I note, though, that it seems like ETI just 'shotguns' the emails to everyone on their list. I bought mine from a private seller in the USA (pre-owned), but I'm still getting those sales tax info requests.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:49 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by occer View Post
I know last time I bought a vehicle at a dealership, the dealership collected the sale tax and forwarded it to the state. In the dealerships case they were only dealing with one state / bureaucracy. ETI is selling to possibly 50 different states, I think they are just trying to show that the sales taxes are being paid so they are not required to collect them and then send to the different states.

If they are required to collect the taxes it will cause an accounting nightmare and increase their cost of doing business and the cost will get added on to the cost we pay for them to do the paper work. I was allowed to fax the paper work to ETI, not a big inconvenience.
Actually, it is more than 50 states. In NY, and I suspect most other states, the sales tax on a vehicle depends on your address. There is likely a state, county, and even town sales tax. There are 3143 counties in the US.

Still, I don't understand the problem since most states require trailer registration & collect sales tax at registration.
Old 01-19-2024, 12:18 PM   #28

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Actually, it is more than 50 states. In NY, and I suspect most other states, the sales tax on a vehicle depends on your address. There is likely a state, county, and even town sales tax. There are 3143 counties in the US.
Just FYI in Texas (254 counties) only state sales tax (6.25%) applies to vehicles and trailers, 'local' taxes are not allowed on those items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Still, I don't understand the problem since most states require trailer registration & collect sales tax at registration.
Tend to agree, this is certainly true in TX, the issue of a vehicle / trailer registration (title) documents, collection of taxes & fees, and issue of license plates is handled in one transaction process by County Clerks on behalf of the State. You can't get a license plate for a new vehicle (or a legal replacement license plate in your name for a used vehicle) without paying the applicable State sales tax.

In TX display of a license plate is required on all trailers and that's commonly policed in my observation. A 'trailer sales-tax scofflaw' would have to display a stolen license plate to try to avoid an enforcement stop, with obviously much more significant penalties if that's detected.