Garmin Inreach satellite phone - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap > RV Parts and Camping Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2022, 04:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Garmin Inreach satellite phone

Anyone use a Garmin Inreach satellite phone ? looks pretty reasonable says it works everywhere might be nice to call for help in wilderness area with no cell coverage also directions
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:20 PM   #2

Trailer: None
How much are you asking for it?
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Past time to update- canceled my 5.0 ��
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Anyone use a Garmin Inreach satellite phone ? looks pretty reasonable says it works everywhere might be nice to call for help in wilderness area with no cell coverage also directions
There I for on another thread here about the Indiana couple that got lost. I have an InReach mini which I thankfully have never had to use. I wasn’t interested in higher end models because this is simply for an emergency. YMMV. I have had it stored for a while and just recently activated it again for a trip through no man’s land. Works like a charm. Great to have in a real emergency.
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 11:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
it is not a phone its a message system using Satellites. when you send an SOS it will get help but you can only message back and forth not voice calls. it can also SMS text message any number that you want and they can reply to you. your use of the word phone is not correct.
I have one and would not go in the back country without it.
Greg
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:18 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
The inReach is a two way satellite SMS text messenger. It isn't actually a phone. However, I highly recommend one. I've had my inReach for almost 5 years, I wouldn't go anywhere without one.

inReach is the standard in this type of two way satellite device. There are others that have come to the market (Spot / Zoleo), but, those products are often buggy or have poor customer service.

Here's my post from the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Everyone if you do any sort of boondocking or even camping and hiking in National Forests of Parks, please consider getting an inReach two way satellite text messenger.

The Safety Plan is under $15 dollars a month. It allows two way text messaging anywhere you have a view of the sky. You can receive incoming text messages as well as make out going ones. Even with the Safety Plan you can send unlimited number of 3 precanned messages. Ours precanned messages include 'outhiking', 'camped for the night', and a message to our daughter.

In addition to text messaging it has an SOS function, luckily we have never needed it.

We originally purchased ours for hiking on the Appalachian Trail. We initially did the 'Freedom Plan' where you can suspend service when and not pay a monthly fee. We then decided that it was worth the $15 a month to keep it always active.

We keep our in our tow vehicle and carry it whenever hiking.

The advantage of an inReach over simple personal locator beacon is multiple. The Air Force Rescue Coordination Center (AFRCC) will often delay dispatching help to an EPERB signal until they attempt to contact your emergency contacts on file. If your emergency contact says 'as far as I know he's fine'. They might not send any help (yes, it has happened). Additionally, even after they initiate search and rescue they don't know the nature of your emergency and therefor may not have the appropriate gear needed. With an inReach you are in two way contact and can describe exactly what your emergency involves.

Another reason why a two way device is superior is if someone at home has an emergency you can be contacted. If one of your family members is seriously injured or even dies while you are camped in an area where you have no cell service you can be contacted rather than finding out a week or two later what happened at home when you return to an area with cell service.

The inReach can be used alone or paired with a cellphone.

Garmin inReach Mini 2, Lightweight and Compact Satellite Communicator, Hiking Handheld, Orange

inReach Subscription Plan Annual Safety Plan $11.95 USD
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:46 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
We simply use an ACR ResQLink. It has the limitations TTMartin listed but there is no subscription plan.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2012 E19
Bivy Stick user here. I can subscribe for just the months I need. I am not a fan of Garmin stuff.
Old 04-09-2022, 04:07 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
when my daughter hiked the Pacific Crest Trail a few years ago, I got her a Garmin InReach Explorer+, whihc has the inreach 2-way satellite communications, AND a topo map of the whole USA. It was programmed to update her position on the InReach website every 20 minutes, and had 3 canned messages ("I'm at camp", "I'm taking a zero day", and I forget what the third was), each of these canned messages went to a preset list of folks who could monitor her progress, and didn't count against the monthly message quota of whatever subscription level.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
I have used a Spot 2 for about 5 years. https://www.findmespot.com/en-us/
Annual fee has gotten up to $175. I use it when I take my dirt bike out alone.
It puts a signal out every 10 minutes so you can track your ride somewhat online when you get back. Mine is saved to "Buzzards in the Sky". Have not had to try the SOS button so far.

I find map my walk to be better for retracing a ride. https://www.mapmyfitness.com/dashboard
Old 04-09-2022, 06:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
A lot of what works also depends on where you will be and what you are doing when you need help.

I carry an EPIRB for most of my backcountry adventures, because I'm usually in canoes / kayaks and would not be able to do more than press the trigger in an emergency. And I want that continuous beacon once triggered (so they can find my body, realistically, but there it is).

I also carry a marine VHF radio, because for less immediate emergencies this works well in the same environments.

The sat text device looks good for backcountry trips off water. I'm usually not that far off the beaten track (especially with my trailer) where a normal radio would not reach other off-roaders. Something to consider.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:44 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Without all this hi-tech electronic gadgetry, I'm surprised the pioneers found their way west 200 years ago......
Old 04-10-2022, 07:48 AM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Without all this hi-tech electronic gadgetry, I'm surprised the pioneers found their way west 200 years ago......
Sure but that was no picnic. You might remember the Donner (-Reed) party.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 09:38 AM   #13

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post

A lot of them didn't. Thousands died on the way. Many more just got lost and stayed where they were. How else can you explain all those folks living in the middle of nowhere?

My grandparents with three young children drove from East Texas to San Francisco in a Model T to see the World's Fair in 1915. It took them almost three months. I assure you if there had been an electronic gadget which would have made their journey easier, they would have bought it.
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 02:26 PM   #14
Site Team

one feature of the Garmin InReach is that its battery is good for a week or more of 10 minute location reporting and fully recharges in just a couple hours via USB. The Spot stuff is mostly of interest to motor vehicles, so it can be hooked up to the vehicle battery+alternator
Old 04-10-2022, 10:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
one feature of the Garmin InReach is that its battery is good for a week or more of 10 minute location reporting and fully recharges in just a couple hours via USB. The Spot stuff is mostly of interest to motor vehicles, so it can be hooked up to the vehicle battery+alternator

My spot locator runs on three AAA batteries. I carried it for years in the woods with no problems. I went to InReach for the text messages.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 10:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
https://www.findmespot.com/en-us/pro...ervices/spot-x
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:12 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Obvious pre-electronic travel guide:
re: "...I'm surprised the pioneers found their way west 200 years ago......"
Attached Thumbnails
Nativguide.jpg  
Old 04-11-2022, 09:41 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Obvious pre-electronic travel guide:
re: "...I'm surprised the pioneers found their way west 200 years ago......"
so true, Myron, so many of todays modern roads follow Native American trails hundreds of years old!
Old 04-12-2022, 02:19 PM   #19
Site Team

was just watching a couple youtubes by some guys who were trying to retrace the route taken by a wagon train in the 1840s that tried to go over the Cascades in Oregon going through what is today Bend, instead of the much longer route that went around the north side of Mt Hood, thrhough what is today Portland, and then down the Williamette Valley. 1000s of pioneers, 100s of wagons, nearly all died.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:46 AM   #20

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
I have an inReach Explorer+
I have it linked to an iPad Mini, where I load topo and satellite maps for off-road driving. If I'm hiking I carry the Explorer with me. I turn on Tracking, which then tracks where I walk so I can follow my route back in case I get lost. If I have a medical emergency I can text for help via the SOS button. Since I'm also towing a trailer to areas with no cell service I want the Explorer with me in case if an accident.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote