Leak from above grey water tank - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2021, 09:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 19' Escape
Leak from above grey water tank

I have a 2019 19' Escape that is less than two years old. We've developed three leaks in our grey water tank. Noticed this during our last outing and confirmed at home by filling up the grey water tank with water. At two different locations where the 1-1/2" drain pipe comes in from the kitchen sink and the shower area I have drips. Of major concern is that I also have water coming from the top of the grey water tank somewhere under the shower area beyond what I can see. There is no water coming up through the shower. Where the first two are drips this last leak is major with water gushing out. All leaks occur when I reach 2/3 full.

I'm in contact with Escape (Dustin) and am trying to figure out what to do. My questions to the group are has anyone experienced a major leak from above the grey water tank and how did you resolve it? Has anyone dropped the grey water tank to repair something like this and how difficult was this to accomplish? Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails
LeakAboveGreyWaterTank.jpg  
efdavila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
I'm helping out a friend that owns a 2020 Escape 21 that has the 1 1/2" pipes coming up from the grey tank both broken at the kitchen sink and at the vent connection on the drivers side of the trailer. Water pours out of the top of his grey tank very similar to your tank.

From looking at what caused the failures, the best case fix for this is to drop the grey tank, enlarge the holes in the bottom of the trailer where the pipes go through, and replace the broken pipes. It seems that Escape is cutting the holes for the piping to where it just fits not allowing any room for movement which causes the pipes to shear at the top of the tank. Just replacing the broken pipes without enlarging the holes they go through will fix it temporarily but has a good chance of failing again as the root cause will not have been corrected.

Dropping the grey tank requires cutting four pipes: the shower drain pipe, the dump valve pipe, the kitchen sink pipe, and the vent pipe. Once the tank is replaced with the broken pipes repaired, the cut pipe connections can be put back together using 1 1/2" flexible couplings which will resolve the pipe cracking problem for the other connections as well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-1...-150/100058870
Old 05-30-2021, 11:17 AM   #3

Great and useful information. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2021, 03:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by efdavila View Post
I have a 2019 19' Escape that is less than two years old.
Which means still under warranty. Let us know how that works out.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:17 AM   #5

True. However, I'm considering doing this job myself. Mainly because my local RV repair locations are completely booked...like until the middle of September. Hence the request for input about dropping the tank, etc. Thanks...
Old 05-16-2022, 10:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
True. However, I'm considering doing this job myself. Mainly because my local RV repair locations are completely booked...like until the middle of September. Hence the request for input about dropping the tank, etc. Thanks...
How did you re-attach the vent pipe? Mine has a gushing leak as well and I need to remove the spray insulation to drop the tank.
lostskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:01 AM   #7

Trailer: 2019 17B
Leak from above gray water tank

Quote:
I have a 2019 19' Escape that is less than two years old. We've developed three leaks in our grey water tank. Noticed this during our last outing and confirmed at home by filling up the grey water tank with water. At two different locations where the 1-1/2" drain pipe comes in from the kitchen sink and the shower area I have drips. Of major concern is that I also have water coming from the top of the grey water tank somewhere under the shower area beyond what I can see. There is no water coming up through the shower. Where the first two are drips this last leak is major with water gushing out. All leaks occur when I reach 2/3 full.

I'm in contact with Escape (Dustin) and am trying to figure out what to do. My questions to the group are has anyone experienced a major leak from above the grey water tank and how did you resolve it? Has anyone dropped the grey water tank to repair something like this and how difficult was this to accomplish? Thanks...

Has anyone experienced this in their 17B? We are investigating gray tank leaks in our 2019.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:44 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostskier View Post
How did you re-attach the vent pipe? Mine has a gushing leak as well and I need to remove the spray insulation to drop the tank.
I know that there's a difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 plumbing. The Gen 1 grey water tank vent came off the sink drain pipe above the floor. The vent is the white/green hose. Don't know if Gen 2 is the same.

This access isn't normally available. I was installing a door in this location otherwise you couldn't see the vent hose.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:46 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
photo

Forgot the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
22-11-2014 4-34-12 PM2_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Forgot the photo.
Thanks, I must have Gen 2 because my vent is behind the shower stall and goes up the wall there. And from what I can see, its not flexible tubing.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:04 AM   #11

Vent Pipe

Had to cut an access to repair the broken vent pipe in my 2019, E19 trailer. Fitting broken same as the sink and grey water drain connections. Have not checked the shower fitting, but assuming that one is probably broken as well. My plan is to reinforce the opening with a frame on the inside and then attach a cabinet front to resemble a "fake" cabinet. Repair is same as all others, remove broken threads and insert new fitting, install rubber gasket.

Old 05-19-2022, 06:10 AM   #12

Photos of access to vent pipe in 2019 E19

Photos of access.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220518_210005841.jpg   PXL_20220518_210159383.jpg  
Old 05-19-2022, 07:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Photos of access.
It's great that you are getting access to the floor penetrations to replace the broken fittings without having to drop the grey tank! On a trailer without the spray foam, its easy to just take loose the four hanger bolts holding the tank up and then repair the broken fittings on the ground. With a trailer with spray foam, its not that easy!

From your pic, that looks like a great place for a rubber 90 to keep the piping from snapping off again.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-1...-150/100372307

The hole Escape drilled through the flooring looks big enough to allow movement but - then they filled the hole back up with a firm sealant that negated it! Soft spray can foam might be better.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-ST...7112/202893728

It's a shame that you have to do this but at least the way you are approaching the problem means you won't have to do this again.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
That looks like a great place for a rubber 90 to keep the piping from snapping off again.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-1...-150/100372307

The hole Escape drilled through the flooring looks big enough to allow movement but - then they filled the hole back up with a firm sealant that negated it! Soft spray can foam would be better.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-ST...7112/202893728

It's a shame that you have to do this but at least the way you are approaching the problem means you won't have to do this again.
I like that rubber 90-degree fitting idea. I had just planned to install the standard elbow and then put in rubber connection. Would save one item.

This whole exercise with the grey water tank has been more than interesting. As I mentioned, 3 of 4 fittings are confirmed to be broken (I haven't dug out foam from around shower and not planning to until it starts leaking). The water leak from this vent connection, would overflow underneath the bench seat whenever I filled the grey tank. And of course, it had an aroma. Will be nice to be rid of that issue.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:52 AM   #15

The sad part of all this is there are probably more Escape 19s out there with broken fittings.

At least with the work you have done, they now have a go by for getting the leaks resolved.

Crossing my fingers that you don't have to dig into the foam for the shower drain.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:13 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
That is not a job I would be looking forward to in repairing.

I would imagine it would be best to travel with an empty grey tank as to not stress the connections.

At least this leak won’t blow you up.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:08 PM   #17

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
I like that rubber 90-degree fitting idea. I had just planned to install the standard elbow and then put in rubber connection. Would save one item.

This whole exercise with the grey water tank has been more than interesting. As I mentioned, 3 of 4 fittings are confirmed to be broken (I haven't dug out foam from around shower and not planning to until it starts leaking). The water leak from this vent connection, would overflow underneath the bench seat whenever I filled the grey tank. And of course, it had an aroma. Will be nice to be rid of that issue.
Mind me asking what you use to cut the pipe in close quarters like this? I'm assuming an oscillating tool?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:04 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
You can count me in on the leaking gray tank. Not sure where it is coming from yet. Just happened on our last trip. When the tank is full or near full its starts flowing from under the trailer. Not sure if I am capable of getting under there and making the necessary repairs. I think I will be booking a visit to North Shore RV
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:55 PM   #19

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Horizontal venting below the flood rim? Interesting…..
Jwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 05:58 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 Gulf Stream Brinsuick
How do I drop a grey tank

I have a leak coming from the top of my grey tank. I do not see water unless the tank is completely full. I need step by step directions and can I do this by myself. Is there a video that shows me how? Yes I am very new at this, and 67 years old so concerned about the weight as well. This is the grey tank for my kitchen. I cannot hire someone to do this.
Cindy.spade is offline   Reply With Quote