Microwave Coming Loose - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2023, 11:44 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21C
Microwave Coming Loose

Has anyone experienced their microwave coming loose when going down the road? I have fixed this two times now and am looking for a permanent fix.

It shifts and then the door won't open.

I am wondering about building something to prevent movement, but want to make sure there is still air flow.

If anyone has had this problem and solved it, I would love to know how.

Thanks, Suzie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7767.jpg   IMG_7768.jpg  
Suzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 05:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 21
I’d take the trim off and mark the shelf where the microwave sits correctly then fasten a framework on the shelf so the microwave doesn’t shift anymore. Then reinstall the the trim
Old 11-13-2023, 06:39 AM   #3

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
Has anyone experienced their microwave coming loose when going down the road? I have fixed this two times now and am looking for a permanent fix.

It shifts and then the door won't open.

I am wondering about building something to prevent movement, but want to make sure there is still air flow.

If anyone has had this problem and solved it, I would love to know how.

Thanks, Suzie
Hi

I had a similar problem in my last trailler. I've use some expansion insulation foam in a can to squeeze everything tight. Caution before, apply some duck tape on the oven were the foam gonna be shoot if you want to remove it and have a nice oven and rescrew everything. Also only use the foam that is for MINIMAL expansion like less than one inch otherwise you will deform the cabinet.
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 06:57 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondasaurus View Post
Hi

I had a similar problem in my last trailler. I've use some expansion insulation foam in a can to squeeze everything tight. Caution before, apply some duck tape on the oven were the foam gonna be shoot if you want to remove it and have a nice oven and rescrew everything. Also only use the foam that is for MINIMAL expansion like less than one inch otherwise you will deform the cabinet.
Microwaves have a relatively short life. Expanding foam can be a mess to remove. And you'd probably need to remove it to replace the microwave. I wouldn't use it for this solution. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 07:15 AM   #5

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Microwaves have a relatively short life. Expanding foam can be a mess to remove. And you'd probably need to remove it to replace the microwave. I wouldn't use it for this solution. YMMV

Yup I agree foam can be messy but you can cover the part in contact for easy removing with tape (on the cabinet and on the oven). Use only tab of foam in spot like the 4 corner in the front and in the rear.

There more than one way to resolve problem...
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 07:56 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I don't know how the current microwaves are installed but on my Gen 1 19 it was held in by the face plate. Very little support for the weight at the rear. I inserted a piece of wood for it to sit on and that made it more secure.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 08:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 21
One needs to take care if using foam n not block the exhaust vents on the microwave
Old 11-13-2023, 11:29 AM   #8

Trailer: 2024 21NE F2
Expanding foam makes a huge mess and controlling where it expands is impossible.

Instead, get a pool noodle (or foam pipe wrap) and cut sections to wedge between the cabinet & microwave.
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 11:37 AM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
.... Instead, get a pool noodle (or foam pipe wrap) and cut sections to wedge between the cabinet & microwave.
... and tack in place with contact cement

Could be wrong but I suspect your 'wave is missing some anchor / mounting screws .... do you happen to see unoccupied holes in the 'ceiling' of the cabinet below where they might have vibrated-out?
Old 11-13-2023, 12:21 PM   #10
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Depending on how much room you have there are a few things you can try. My original idea was to mount the microwave on a cutout piece of plywood and then secure the plywood from underneath with some wood screws.

However I could not drill and attach the bottom of our microwave directly plywood as the "feet" were just stamped in the metal bottom and were not removable. So I did two things.

1. I got some velcro and attached that to where the "feet" were stamped into the bottom of the microwave.
2. I cut some slots into the plywood and got some straps to wrap around it (side to side) and cinch it down.

I did it this way to create about 5 to 6 inches of storage space between the microwave and the cabinet door. But with the way yours is mounted, you might just try adding velcro to the bottom of your microwave feet and see if that holds. In my case the straps won't hold the microwave by themselves (but almost) and the velcro adds just enough friction to keep it solidly in place.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 12:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
... and tack in place with contact cement

Could be wrong but I suspect your 'wave is missing some anchor / mounting screws .... do you happen to see unoccupied holes in the 'ceiling' of the cabinet below where they might have vibrated-out?
I have not seen any missing holes and I have had it out multiple times to fix the shift and again to allow for the stove top replacement recall. I will look at the bottom of the microwave to see what is going on there.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:28 AM   #12

Thanks for all the responses.

I am going to try constructing a frame work around the sides and maybe the back to see if that stops the shifting.

I will be sure that the vents are clear.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:37 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 escape 21c
If you are considering using the foam method you can spray the foam into a plastic bag .
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 09:49 PM   #14

Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0
Great idea to avoid the mess!
jjdeluca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 11:03 AM   #15

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
That actually looks like it's a convection oven, not just a microwave. If that is the case then ventilation around the oven is even more important.
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 05:05 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I cannot tell from the photo what brand your microwave is, but it looks very similar to the Contoure convection microwave that Escape installs. If so, there are supposed to be four screws that fasten the trim piece to the side of the microwave before the trim piece is fastened to the face of the cabinet. As long as those four screws are secure, the microwave cannot shift in the way your’s has. The screws are 8 X 1/4”, or 8 X 1/2” pan head screws. I purchased the Contoure microwave separately, as I wanted the air-fry option (the dimensions were the same as the one Escape installs (non air-fry). When I went to install mine, the four screws were missing, and I had to email Contoure to determine the correct size to purchase at a local hardware store.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7779.jpeg  
RF Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 08:15 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF Paul View Post
I cannot tell from the photo what brand your microwave is, but it looks very similar to the Contoure convection microwave that Escape installs. If so, there are supposed to be four screws that fasten the trim piece to the side of the microwave before the trim piece is fastened to the face of the cabinet. As long as those four screws are secure, the microwave cannot shift in the way your’s has. The screws are 8 X 1/4”, or 8 X 1/2” pan head screws. I purchased the Contoure microwave separately, as I wanted the air-fry option (the dimensions were the same as the one Escape installs (non air-fry). When I went to install mine, the four screws were missing, and I had to email Contoure to determine the correct size to purchase at a local hardware store.
That would explain it.

Tags
microwave