Fitting for external propane hose to Blackstone griddle? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2021, 03:01 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I had a neat 'tree' thing that fit on top of a 20 lb BBQ propane tank, and had like 3 or 4 1 lb style fittings, the one on the very top was meant for a propane lantern. the 2-3 on the sides you could use with the proper hose to various propane appliances. the hose adapter required for these fittings has the 1 lb connector on both ends.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 04:40 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
FWIW, I get far more valuable help on hardware issues like this at a local Ace hardware store than I ever do at any of the mega chains like Home Despot.
I congratulate you on your luck because I have two Ace Hardwares within 15 miles from my home and in many cases they know squat about certain topics, and one is the difference between low pressure and high pressure propane connections. And I agree that HD and Lowe’s employees can be even less helpful.
IMO, the best source of information regarding RV related topics of interest in most cases are the members of online communities such as this one from members who have faced and dealt with others. I once had an ex-plumber employee in a Tru Value Hardware tell me that there were no fittings available to put a faucet diffuser on a hose bib (to control the spray which goes every which way). When I walked out of that store, I had every part I needed including a splitter (now replaced with a much nicer splitter from Lee Valley Tools) so that one side feeds the trailer snd the other side can be used for rinsing coffee cups, hands, etc. without getting splashed.
And I am one who chooses to transport an extra 20 lbs propane cylinder (using a strapped in milk carton in the truck bed) in spite of the 2 on board. I rarely use my QD anymore, first because it is a pain to remove and reinstall them in the 5.0TA when they need to be refilled, and I really don’t like hoses in the much used walkway in the proximity of the trailer door. So I assembled my own high/low pressure system for my 3rd 20 lbs cylinder, which allows me to use a hose for the Coleman lantern and single burner stove, as well as the grill and, with a “Y” splitter, a propane fire pit converted to low pressure at the same time. Note that the “high pressure” connection is ahead of the regulator.
Attached Thumbnails
B45A6752-5BE3-49EA-8713-C7366425E6B2.jpg  
Old 06-27-2021, 04:46 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
... I am one who chooses to transport an extra 20 lbs propane cylinder (using a strapped in milk carton in the truck bed) ...
hah, I often carry one exactly that way, in a milk crate in the back of my truck, along side a couple 5 gallon fresh drinking water carboys. advantage of having a big truck. no lack of space.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:43 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I only use the LP QC and very much appreciate the convenience and saving on having to haul more stuff along. I use 3 things on it, stove, BBQ and firepit, and up to two at a time.

For us, the hoses have never been a problem. For starters they are rarely underfoot, and when they are, there is usually our ground mat on them.

I am one who actually prefers the tanks on the 5.0TA compared to bumper mounted tanks, as I find them real easy to access and removal is quite easy. They are at a nice height and quite light even full.

We do all have our preferences developed from how we camp and what we like. I like simple and easy and am most definitely do not like those little green cylinders. There is a good reason that so many RVs have them built in to their units and are not even options. I have helped a few friends with big RVs their systems and connections get set up, and they too now love the system.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am one who actually prefers the tanks on the 5.0TA compared to bumper mounted tanks, as I find them real easy to access and removal is quite easy. They are at a nice height and quite light even full.
Jim, it is my understanding that you installed your own QD fitting in a location different from ETI’s standard location. If that were the case for me, it might alleviate the “hose problem.”
However, although I like the cylinders in the compartment rather than on a tongue or a bumper, I still find it a PITA to get them in and out for refilling, especially given that a propane fire pit can chew up a lot of propane. I do not find a full 20 lbs cylinder “quite” light as you put it. Given that they are held in place by a “wing nut,” I know for a fact that I can have my 3rd cylinder disconnected, on the truck, and be on the way to the refill station, probably before you have the tank ready to remove from the compartment. All I use the onboard tanks for is the refrigerator when towing or off grid. Can’t remember last time I filled one of them, and one is full, the other 3/4 full.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:27 PM   #26

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Is the quick LP connection on my trailer have enough flow to run a Blackstone 17 and a single burner? And related to that is there a Y or T fitting I could get to split the hose?
77FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:04 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77FJ40 View Post
Is the quick LP connection on my trailer have enough flow to run a Blackstone 17 and a single burner? And related to that is there a Y or T fitting I could get to split the hose?
as long as said blackstone and single burner do not have their own regulator, and are designed to run at 11 water column inches. I have a Napolean portable grill, it has an integrated regulator, so I would have to modify it to use a quick connect low pressure fitting... instead, I use a hose that goes directly to a 20 lb bottle
Old 08-17-2021, 06:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77FJ40 View Post
The propane system on Escape Trailers (or at least on mine) is 1/4-inch ID. 1/4-inch is capable of delivering @ 65,000 BTUs. However, as in electrical wiring where the longer the run the greater voltage drop, the longer the hose, the greater the “BTU drop.” But is highly unlikely with the length of hoses used for grills, griddles, and camp stoves, you are going to max out capacity. However, some propane fire pits are rated (at high) as 65,000 BTUs. In other words, if running such a fire pit on its highest setting, you are likely using the full capacity of a 1/4-inch hose. But you could run the griddle, the single burner, and a firepit at the same time if the fire pit were set to low or medium flame. Then again, if cooking, you probably wouldn’t be running a fire pit.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:32 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
The propane system on Escape Trailers (or at least on mine) is 1/4-inch ID.
Are you certain about this, Carl? Mine is 1/2" for a short bit off the regulator, and 3/8"for the distribution. I wish the quick connects were more than 1/4", but I have many times successfully ran the stove and BBQ at the same time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:34 AM   #30

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Thanks Guys. This helps. Now just to figure out the connections and hoses.
77FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 04:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Are you certain about this, Carl? Mine is 1/2" for a short bit off the regulator, and 3/8"for the distribution. I wish the quick connects were more than 1/4", but I have many times successfully ran the stove and BBQ at the same time.
I believe the “pigtails” feeding the system from the tanks are 1/4-inch. You could be correct, Jim, and I could be wrong (wouldn’t be the first time , but no system is larger than its smallest component. Regardless, most of the propane hoses I see in use are 1/4-inch hoses. Still, 65,000 BTUs are a lot.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:18 PM   #32

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
The propane system on Escape Trailers (or at least on mine) is 1/4-inch ID. 1/4-inch is capable of delivering @ 65,000 BTUs...
Only the high (tank) pressure part and some fittings (such as the connections on the quick-connect outlet) will be nominally 1/4". That heat delivery rate (actually 65,000 BTU/hr) depends on pressure (this is for low pressure) and length.

Quote:
Mine is 1/2" for a short bit off the regulator, and 3/8"for the distribution. I wish the quick connects were more than 1/4", but I have many times successfully ran the stove and BBQ at the same time.
That's typical. Unfortunately, this type of quick-connect only seems to come with 1/4 fittings, in any brand.

Quote:
I believe the “pigtails” feeding the system from the tanks are 1/4-inch. You could be correct, Jim, and I could be wrong (wouldn’t be the first time , but no system is larger than its smallest component. Regardless, most of the propane hoses I see in use are 1/4-inch hoses. Still, 65,000 BTUs are a lot.
Yes, the pigtails are at tank pressure (a couple hundred times the regulated low pressure), so they flow a much greater mass of propane for the same hose diameter and pressure drop, and the small fittings and hose are not an issue.

For flow rate, a fluid network isn't a chain - it isn't "as strong as the weakest link", or in this case having a flow rate the same as the most restrictive component. Every component adds pressure drop, and the cumulative drop is what matters (unless there is an actual control element, such as a pressure regulator or flow regulator).

Long extension hoses are often intended for high pressure, so they are 1/4"... which is not great for extending from the low-pressure outlet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote