Houghton Heat pump. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2023, 08:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Houghton Heat pump.

I bought the Houghton for the Airconditioning and reported quietness over the Dometic unit. I have been at the Fl Egg Rally for the last 4 days.Its been cold during the day since Friday and very cold (for Florida) at night. Last night in mid 20's. tonight is the same... I have had the Houghton keeping my 5.0 toasty without external cube heaters or other boosters.. Heat pump seems to keep things toasty. I put the furnace on for 15 minutes after being out for several hours yesterday and chilled to the bone. I'm very satisfied with this unit.. Samuel from Escape was in trailer yesterday afternoon and was impressed how quiet the unit was..
Old 01-15-2023, 08:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I bought the Houghton for the Airconditioning and reported quietness over the Dometic unit. I have been at the Fl Egg Rally for the last 4 days.Its been cold during the day since Friday and very cold (for Florida) at night. Last night in mid 20's. tonight is the same... I have had the Houghton keeping my 5.0 toasty without external cube heaters or other boosters.. Heat pump seems to keep things toasty. I put the furnace on for 15 minutes after being out for several hours yesterday and chilled to the bone. I'm very satisfied with this unit.. Samuel from Escape was in trailer yesterday afternoon and was impressed how quiet the unit was..
Glad you showed Samuel. Maybe Escape will start installing them!!
Old 01-15-2023, 08:17 PM   #3

Samuel commented on it before I brought it up...I had forgotten that they don't offer them..
Old 01-16-2023, 09:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
When we were finalizing our 5.0 a little over a year ago I asked about Houghton heat pumps. I guess they still don’t have a source for them or something.

At least the Coleman is decent, not too loud, and has heat strips.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:19 AM   #5
MTA

Trailer: 2009 17B; on list for 2023 5.0 in Spring 2023
Hi. Thanks for info. Noise being a big concern, we also wondered about the Houghton for our upcoming 5.0, but opted for factory install of the Coleman. Can I ask which Houghton model you installed? Also, I had wondered if the 5.0 roofline might be an issue when the manufacturer website indicated (at least for the 13.5K unit) "Best installed on a flat roof - less than 5 degrees inclination".
MTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 11:19 AM   #6

Trailer: SOLD - 2022 Escape 21NE
I have the Houghton 3400 atop my 21 - it was installed by the original owner. We're very happy with it.

Though it is very quiet, we found that the trailer shakes a bit when the compressor kicks on; enough to disturb our sleep. So, we use the furnace at night if we need some heat.

Last summer we experienced 107F and the Houghton kept our trailer interior <80F under full sun exposure. Pretty good, in my opinion.
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTA View Post
Hi. Thanks for info. Noise being a big concern, we also wondered about the Houghton for our upcoming 5.0, but opted for factory install of the Coleman. Can I ask which Houghton model you installed? Also, I had wondered if the 5.0 roofline might be an issue when the manufacturer website indicated (at least for the 13.5K unit) "Best installed on a flat roof - less than 5 degrees inclination".
I have the 13,500 version Same size as the Coleman that Escape offers. Coleman wasn't available during my build earlier this year . I friend of mine manages a HVAC biz locally. She had her techs install it. I took them about an hour and a half. She wouldn't take any payment for install, so it worked out great for me.
Old 01-21-2023, 10:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Anybody know if Escape would be willing to install a Houghton if a customer delivered it to the factory? If they won’t, I wonder if there’s a shop in the area that you could take a brand new escape to and have one installed right away?
RF Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF Paul View Post
Anybody know if Escape would be willing to install a Houghton if a customer delivered it to the factory? If they won’t, I wonder if there’s a shop in the area that you could take a brand new escape to and have one installed right away?
Try Trademasters in Chiliwack. It’d be worth a call.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 06:53 AM   #10

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF Paul View Post
My build was completed in Oct of 2022, & as of that time, they would NOT install a customer provided unit.

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 01:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
We completed our build sheet just before X-mas 2022 and asked about the ETI supplying it. I was told they haven't made a decision yet. So it's on my build sheet as a note that IF they do make a decision before it goes into production I would like it installed. And no they won't install it if I supply it.
Jeremy Kessenich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Last night in mid 20's. tonight is the same... I have had the Houghton keeping my 5.0 toasty without external cube heaters or other boosters.. Heat pump seems to keep things toasty. I put the furnace on for 15 minutes after being out for several hours yesterday and chilled to the bone. I'm very satisfied with this unit.. Samuel from Escape was in trailer yesterday afternoon and was impressed how quiet the unit was..
We are finding the same - warm and toasty inside when outside temp was 24 this week. We are really pleased with the Houghton 13.5k BTU heat pump.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I do the same with my Coleman heat strip.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:02 AM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I like the sound of these units. It does look like a Honda 2000I generator would not be enough power for Houghton 3400.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
Try Trademasters in Chiliwack. It’d be worth a call.
Splitting _lanes - Thanks for the advice! I contacted Trademasters, and am currently awaiting quotes for an Anderson hitch and a Houghton 3400 install. Also, related to another thread your advice has helped me with, I’m getting a quote from them for 400ah of lithium capacity installed. Might as well see how they compare to ETI’s price.
RF Paul is offline   Reply With Quote