How cold, and for how long, can you go? Using an Escape 21 in the winter - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2021, 02:40 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
You mean like shelter from the weather and a (relatively) warm place under a trailer?

(If you build it, they will come .... )
You can keep a lot of critters away with cotton balls and Peppermint oil. Anything that blocks wind will keep your trailer warmer underneath.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 09:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
A slightly different cold weather question:

We have the Escape winter/thermal package: Under foam, tank heaters, thermal windows, I think some other extra insulation.

We're planning to transit from Boulder, CO to southern California and looking at the 10 day forecast along our route there would be two days with daytime high temperatures in the low 40's to high 30's and low overnight temperatures in the low 20's, to high teens. After that the temperature, even overnight won't drop below freezing.

We can run the tank heaters at least one of the cold nights plugged in at a campground.

Shall we stay winterized (with blown out water lines 'til it's warmer), or do you feel it'll be warm enough during the day (and with at least one night of tank heaters) to water up before we depart?

Thank you, in advance for your thoughts.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 07:37 AM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Risky business

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
Shall we stay winterized (with blown out water lines 'til it's warmer), or do you feel it'll be warm enough during the day (and with at least one night of tank heaters) to water up before we depart?
Predictions are hard to make....especially about the future.
High teens are cold, and your toilet flush valve is the most susceptible to damage.
If it's possible, stay winterized. If not, take your chances. The PEX water lines are super tough; the plumbing fixtures are weak links.
With onboard water containers, a solar shower bag for taking a shower, you could get by just swell. It's what I did with going to Florida in January from frozen tundra Wisconsin.
Your waste tanks wouldn't be harmed by below freezing temps. Flush the toilet with a jug of water.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:05 AM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
I have a 2015 Escape 21 with factory foamed tanks. I'm in Central NY and have been using the trailer as a tiny house at a construction site as I renovate a house. I'd like to continue to use the trailer as a lunch room/office into the winter.

With the factory foamed tanks and the furnace and an electric space heater running, how low can the outside temp get before I have to worry about the freshwater tank or water lines outside of the heated space starting to freeze? Other than anti-freeze is there anything I can do with my black and grey water tanks?

we live very close so I know what the weather is local . with out any tank heater you be fine until day time temps get below freezing. I stayed some pretty cold nights down in the single digits as long as it goes above freezing in the day. being you don't need to move the trailer here is what i would do. skirt the out side with straw bales. I put a electric heater in the center under the trailer. I would set that heater on a metal plate in case it tipped over. I would put a remote thermometer under there so you could pug heater in as needed .

One thing i wish i put in my build was the tank heaters and some temp probes so I new what the inside tank temps where. I was camping a few weeks ago,But I winterized everything.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:11 AM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:

We have the Escape winter/thermal package: Under foam, tank heaters, thermal windows, I think some other extra insulation.

We're planning to transit from Boulder, CO to southern California and looking at the 10 day forecast along our route there would be two days with daytime high temperatures in the low 40's to high 30's and low overnight temperatures in the low 20's, to high teens. After that the temperature, even overnight won't drop below freezing.

We can run the tank heaters at least one of the cold nights plugged in at a campground.

personally I think you be fine at them temps. I don't have the tank heaters and I done colder with out problems. I do put a little rv antifreeze in the shower drain on really cold night . That trap will be the first place to freeze on the 19'.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I ordered 12v tank heaters on one of my Escapes and realized they are not suitable due to their high battery use unless you are hooked up! If you are hooked up then an auxiliary electric heater will suffice to keep the trailer warm enough that the fresh tank will not freeze with the foam option. Your decision.....
Old 12-18-2021, 09:40 AM   #27

CPAHarley: Since the fresh & gray water tanks are below the trailer's cab, I'm not sure that an electric heater in the cab will warm the tanks all that much. Of course you're right about the Escape installed tank heaters: They're really only useable when plugged into 120v

Since it got down to 15 degs F last night, we've decided to remain "winterized" 'til the temperatures warm up to a minimum of mid-twenties (F) overnight. Better to be safe than sorry!
Old 12-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #28

I wonder if they make 120V tank heaters? Probably more efficient.....
Old 12-18-2021, 09:52 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe the tank heaters that Escape installed in our 2018 19'er are both 12v and 120v. And if I remember correctly at 12v they take in the range of 10 amps. 1 amp at 120v.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:23 AM   #30

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Not a 21, but we got caught in the Texas freeze last winter and survived three days/nights with lows in the mid-teens and highs in the 30's. Had power for most of that time and kept the interior at 60 with a small space heater. Underfoam, but no tank heaters. Stuffed the exterior shower and landing gear hatches full of insulation. Heated hot water tank every night before bed & it would still be giving off heat in the under bench space in the morning. No damages to lines, tanks, or fixtures.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210218_123052837.jpg  
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:44 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Just leave the rooster at home unless one has designs on chicken n dumplings or a chicken pot pie for supper when he wakes you from a deep sleep n a wonderful dream 😴 lol

David
We have a rooster here at La Posa West in the Quartzsite LTVA, along with a couple of hens, although they have a coop. About a 1/4 mile from my trailer and I can hear him every morning. I feel for those parked closer to the coop unless they like early morning crowing!
Old 12-18-2021, 02:10 PM   #32

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
They are out there…
https://www.amazon.com/UltraHeat-AMM...43057749&psc=1
Old 12-18-2021, 03:19 PM   #33

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
We have a rooster here at La Posa West in the Quartzsite LTVA, along with a couple of hens, although they have a coop. About a 1/4 mile from my trailer and I can hear him every morning. I feel for those parked closer to the coop unless they like early morning crowing!
Jon: Someone really travels with chickens and a coop? Seems rather odd.
Old 12-18-2021, 05:30 PM   #34

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
My ETI tank heaters are both 120 & 12 volt, ETI only wired the 12v side. I wish they only wired the 120 side personally because without 120 you are not going to be using them.
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 07:30 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Jon: Someone really travels with chickens and a coop? Seems rather odd.
Well, they have a rather odd RV:
Old 12-19-2021, 06:23 AM   #36

That photo reminds me of the "Beverly Hillbillies" show......
Old 12-19-2021, 09:17 AM   #37

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:

If you have the fresh water tank heater on preheating the tank before you leave and you have some help from solar you should be able to leave the tank heater on as you drive.

As you are driving and overnight an overnight also be sure your furnace is on set to at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit and your water heater is turned on propane.

Be careful using your tank heater on a completely empty grey tank. You risk melting the tank running the heater with no water in the tank. I would put in a gallon of RV antifreeze and skip the tank heater until you get more in the tank.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote