Lithium Ready From Factory?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2021, 08:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Lithium Ready From Factory??

Working on 21C build sheet, which offers a 'Lithium Ready' choice (on the Easter Egg list). At $420 I am not at all sure about it.

We plan on single solar panel with 2 six volt batteries and no inverter. Our 17B has this set up and we never seem to run out of power.

Would only consider a lithium ready option for future planning, but do not know what it contains and whether it is likely that future changes in batteries and control circuits will make the option obsolete. Thoughts?

Also, if we decide to install lithium batteries later it may be less expensive to use then available, up to date, components. How difficult is it to install the necessary wiring and components?
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
I'd like to see a specific parts list for what the Li-ready kit involves.

If you start with a trailer that has lead-acid batteries and want to convert to LiFeP04 later, I can think of two expensive items you'll need to add/replace:
1) The converter will need to be changed for one that has appropriate voltage for charging the Li battery
2) A DC-DC charger so the RV battery won't charge your tow vehicle. Alternately, the cheap solution here is to disconnect the charging pin from the tow vehicle harness and forgo charging while towing.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:33 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Working on 21C build sheet, which offers a 'Lithium Ready' choice (on the Easter Egg list). At $420 I am not at all sure about it.

We plan on single solar panel with 2 six volt batteries and no inverter. Our 17B has this set up and we never seem to run out of power.

Would only consider a lithium ready option for future planning, but do not know what it contains and whether it is likely that future changes in batteries and control circuits will make the option obsolete. Thoughts?

Also, if we decide to install lithium batteries later it may be less expensive to use then available, up to date, components. How difficult is it to install the necessary wiring and components?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
If you start with a trailer that has lead-acid batteries and want to convert to LiFeP04 later, I can think of two expensive items you'll need to add/replace:

1) The converter will need to be changed for one that has appropriate voltage for charging the Li battery
I'm not sure Escape can do both the dual 6 volt batteries and the lithium ready option. I believe the lithium ready option is intended so you can immediately start using another brand of lithium batteries than Escape offers.

As mentioned above the converter in the trailer has to be compatible with the battery being used. I don't believe that Escape uses a converter that is switchable between lead acid and lithium batteries. Which means it is an either or option, not, lead acid now and lithium later. There are converters that can be switched between the two battery types, but, I don't know if you could ship one to Escape and have them install it now.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
The Easter Egg sheet lists a 12v battery as part of the Lithium Ready option, I assume it’s some low-cost battery so the trailer isn’t ‘dead’ until you install the lithium. Personally, I’d like to bring a lithium battery with me to install when I pick up the trailer.

The Lithium Ready option lists: To include. 12V battery, DC to DC charger, Lithium ready convertor, solar controller.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
As mentioned above the converter in the trailer has to be compatible with the battery being used. I don't believe that Escape uses a converter that is switchable between lead acid and lithium batteries. Which means it is an either or option, not, lead acid now and lithium later. There are converters that can be switched between the two battery types, but, I don't know if you could ship one to Escape and have them install it now.
Might want to check with Escape. Centex noted that his basic build with lead-acid batteries still came with the WFCO-8955LiS which is switchable for lithium. Probably not enough of a cost difference so Escape may just be installing them standard now. How well this particular unit treats lithium batteries with it's charging profile is another debate.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
The Easter Egg sheet lists a 12v battery as part of the Lithium Ready option, I assume it’s some low-cost battery so the trailer isn’t ‘dead’ until you install the lithium. Personally, I’d like to bring a lithium battery with me to install when I pick up the trailer.
Regardless of what option is selected I'm sure Escape has to provide an onboard battery to ensure proper operation of the breakaway switch if nothing else. This prevents a run-away trailer if a complete disconnection from tow vehicle occurs.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
The Easter Egg sheet lists a 12v battery as part of the Lithium Ready option, I assume it’s some low-cost battery so the trailer isn’t ‘dead’ until you install the lithium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Regardless of what option is selected I'm sure Escape has to provide an onboard battery to ensure proper operation of the breakaway switch if nothing else. This prevents a run-away trailer if a complete disconnection from tow vehicle occurs.
Personally, I’d like to bring a lithium battery with me to install when I pick up the trailer.

The Lithium Ready option lists: To include. 12V battery, DC to DC charger, Lithium ready convertor, solar controller.
Yes, they would need some battery to operate the breakaway brakes, but, it doesn't need to do anything more than that.

An under $20 battery like would do. Wired before the DC to DC converter it also would work during cold weather towing.

ML7-12 - 12 VOLT 7.2 AH SLA BATTERY - Mighty Max Battery brand product

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Might want to check with Escape. Centex noted that his basic build with lead-acid batteries still came with the WFCO-8955LiS which is switchable for lithium. Probably not enough of a cost difference so Escape may just be installing them standard now. How well this particular unit treats lithium batteries with it's charging profile is another debate.
That would be a nice. I'm guessing rather than the lack of cost difference it was simply what one could be sourced at the time.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Yes, they would need some battery to operate the breakaway brakes, but, it doesn't need to do anything more than that.

An under $20 battery like would do. Wired before the DC to DC converter it also would work during cold weather towing.

ML7-12 - 12 VOLT 7.2 AH SLA BATTERY - Mighty Max Battery brand product
Agreed. The biggest problem might be agreeing on who is providing and doing what especially as Escape tries to standardize production.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:

There’s a sliding switch on the face of the DC fuse board.

Left side, LI and LA. Lithium and liquid acid.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
... LI and LA. Lithium and liquid acid.
"LA" is "lead-acid", but I assume that's what you intended to post.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
"LA" is "lead-acid", but I assume that's what you intended to post.
Sorry

Facing it, it’s on the left side.

Yes from the factory, I may be doing the same with my pickup.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:30 PM   #12

Quote:

My escape direct contact Is Linda, she has given me incredible direction on all things.
I wouldn’t hesitate to ask your salesperson about anything that you have a concern about.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:06 AM   #13

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
I just received my E19 with “lithium ready” option and solar. It includes Interstate deep cycle flooded lead acid battery, Victron dc-dc charger for charging from tow vehicle, GoPower charge controller set to LFP battery, and (I assume) converter set to LFP charge profile.
DougO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:11 AM   #14

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougO View Post
I just received my E19 with “lithium ready” option and solar. It includes Interstate deep cycle flooded lead acid battery, Victron dc-dc charger for charging from tow vehicle, GoPower charge controller set to LFP battery, and (I assume) converter set to LFP charge profile.
Let's hope that the DC-DC charger, solar controller, and converter are each currently set for the FLA charging profile since that's the battery type as delivered. IF any is already set for the LFP battery charging profile that could be quickly detrimental to your currently installed FLA battery. One can assume that ETI configured everything appropriate to the currently installed battery type, or one can verify that themself .

Each of those components can be easily reconfigured to an LFP charging profile when you change to that battery type (thus, "lithium ready").

The instructions for each of those charging components describes how to make the configuration changes appropriate for the battery type connected to them. If for some reason you did not receive those instructions with your trailer, they can be found online at the website of each component manufacturer's website.
Old 12-16-2021, 10:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Easy to set solar controller and WFCO converter/charger to FLA until you are ready for lithium. That’s how it should really have come from Escape. I assume you have interfaced with the DC-DC charger via Bluetooth with the Victron app to see what it is doing. Who knows how Escape configured it. I’ve heard some are not even charging. The settings will obviously be different with lithium once you are ready. GoPower solar controller should be pretty easy and I believe the WFCO just has a switch.
Old 12-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I wouldn’t assume how your WFCO is set. I am not lithium, but it came set for lithium.
Old 12-16-2021, 09:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I wouldn’t assume how your WFCO is set. I am not lithium, but it came set for lithium.
Easy enough for owners to check the switch position which is on the DC board. Flooded lead acid / AGM is three-stage profile while the lithium is a two-stage profile for the WFCO WF-8955LiS. Should be set accordingly.
https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...-Manual-RP.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
FABF225E-EF55-406C-892B-AEC38097279F.jpeg  
Old 12-16-2021, 10:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Let's hope that the DC-DC charger, solar controller, and converter are each currently set for the FLA charging profile since that's the battery type as delivered. IF any is already set for the LFP battery charging profile that could be quickly detrimental to your currently installed FLA battery. One can assume that ETI configured everything appropriate to the currently installed battery type, or one can verify that themself .

Each of those components can be easily reconfigured to an LFP charging profile when you change to that battery type (thus, "lithium ready").

The instructions for each of those charging components describes how to make the configuration changes appropriate for the battery type connected to them. If for some reason you did not receive those instructions with your trailer, they can be found online at the website of each component manufacturer's website.
The solar controller is set to LFP. I have not connected to the Victron DC-DC charger yet but I expect it is also set to LFP. I don't think an LFP profile charging to 14.4V and then 14.0 V should be harmful to FLA in the short term. FLA bulk charges at 14.6 and them floats at 13.6. What would be harmful for LFP is using an FLA profile that sometimes does an equilization at 15.6V, although the builtin BMS should prevent damage. I have two LFP batteries that look like they should fit under the front of the u-shaped dinette. I think the simplest way to attach them is in the lines going to the inverter and just leave the wires in the front box connected but without the FLA battery.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:09 PM   #19

Wondering if DC-DC charger is used from converter a well as TV

I wonder if Escape wires the DC-DC charger for lithium so that all charging goes through it whether powered through the 7-pin tow vehicle connection or from the converter. I think I would be happier if it always went through the Victron DC-DC charger.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:22 AM   #20

Quote:
I wonder if Escape wires the DC-DC charger for lithium so that all charging goes through it whether powered through the 7-pin tow vehicle connection or from the converter. I think I would be happier if it always went through the Victron DC-DC charger.
Doug: The Victron Orion (and any DC-DC chargers for that matter) as I understand it are a one-way device. If it was wired as you suggest it could charge the battery but then it would not allow power to the DC board in the WFCO power center to run 12V components when not on shore power essentially making the trailer battery useless. This feature is also what keeps the trailer battery from discharging into a tow vehicle battery under certain circumstances. [Jon Vermilye proved this when he wired his Victron in and lost power to his breakaway switch and power tongue jack I believe. This is because he was wired between the battery and these devices. He remedied it with a separate wire from the trailer battery.]