low pressure propane stove QC - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2023, 02:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 escape 19
low pressure propane stove QC

I know there are previous questions and threads on connecting a CampChef Ranger 2 to the quick connect propane and I have read them all, but I could really use some very SPECIFIC information. I do understand that the hose the Ranger 2 came with will not work because of the regulator. We have a 2022 escape 19 and a camp chef ranger 2 stove, now to get the proper hoses and connections. I did read that a 90 degree connection to the stove may be preferred to make it easier to store, but don't understand exactly what I need at the stove end and at the trailer QC end and what size hose I need. Can anybody help?
rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 07:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I removed the hose and regulator and installed a 90° 3/8" flare fitting to a short pigtail that had the male end needed to connect to one of my LP hose. The 90° fitting was nice as the piping off the stove comes out to the right and it turned the supply immediately to the rear.

I can take a photo tomorrow if you like. I have helped a few people get their Ranger II's connected to LP QC supplies.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 08:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Jim,

Actually wondering how to connect a Coleman propane stove to my trailer; they all seem to come with a standard hookup to those 1 lb propane bottles; I'm wondering if I should hook up to 20 lb with the conversion kit or easier to hook up to the low pressure trailer line? I would like top see those pictures.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 05:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Jim,

Actually wondering how to connect a Coleman propane stove to my trailer; they all seem to come with a standard hookup to those 1 lb propane bottles; I'm wondering if I should hook up to 20 lb with the conversion kit or easier to hook up to the low pressure trailer line? I would like top see those pictures.
Coleman stoves do not operate at 11 inches of water column, which is the standard pressure for “low pressure” appliances. They operate at a higher pressure, and the regulator/supply tube that you hook the 1 pound disposable cylinder reduce tank pressure to the higher pressure needed for the stove to operate. If you were to remove the regulator and feed the Coleman stove with the low pressure from the trailer’s QC fitting, the flame provided at the burner, even with the control knob turned to high is so low that it is even incapable of simmering something. How do I know this? A few years back Jim (Bennett) and I discussed it and I had an old Coleman stove that I experimented with. I cut the regulator off so that I had the fitting that connected to the stove. I attached a section of propane hose using a hose clamp, and installed a low pressure male QC fitting to the other end. As I stated, minuscule flame on high. So I used a micro sized set of drill bits with a hand Chuck, determined which bit was the next larger size, and slightly enlarged the orifices which fed the burner tubes on the Coleman. Disclaimer: Coleman does not recommend any modifications to their products, and I am going yo say “Do not try this at home.”
After drilling out the orifices, the Coleman stove had a full range of flame height and heat as an unaltered brand new Coleman running on its propriety regulator. However, the automatic igniter would not ignite either burner, so the burners needed to be lit with a BBQ lighter or a match. My guess was that enlarging the orifice openings affected the gas flow in a way that the spark provided was inadequate to ignite. Knowing the flammability of propane, It really made no sense to me. I had planned on trashing the stove anyway, but an acquaintance wanted it and still uses it at his remote hunting camp.
While I can be done, Converting a Coleman stove to low pressure is NOT WORTH IT, when there is an available low pressure alternative (Ranger II). I have one but do not use it because I found it was prone to rusting. And I do most of my cooking (and rudimentary baking) on an old Weber Q100, which has been converted to low pressure.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
While I can be done, Converting a Coleman stove to low pressure is NOT WORTH IT, when there is an available low pressure alternative (Ranger II). I have one but do not use it because I found it was prone to rusting.
If I never have to use a poor performing Coleman stove again I will be just fine with that. Not able to get a good low flame to simmer or a high one to to boil fast was always grief to me when using one.

Keeping rain off the Ranger II works to keep most of the surface rust off. Even when you do get some a rust remover works good. Something I have not done yet but might is to spray the painted part with a good high temp paint which will make it look good and keep the rust away.

After cooking something for many folks using the Ranger II, quite a few folks have bought one and really enjoy using it. I super low simmer, a hot high setting and an excellent flame spread with the dual ring burners works great. The capacity to use both burners with a large flat grill to make multiple pancakes at once has worked great for family breakfast gatherings.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-08-2023, 02:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 escape 19
Jim,

I think I get it now, but a picture of that 90 degree 3/8" flare fitting and pigtail off the stove would be appreciated. Looking forward to our new stove and thank you, Jim, for the quick reply.
rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Ranger 2 comes with a regulator on the hose. Purchase a hose that fits the quick release on one end and the screw fitting on the stove. Remove the hose with the regulator and store it for use with propane tanks. Bob’s your uncle. I have that combination.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rift View Post
Jim,

I think I get it now, but a picture of that 90 degree 3/8" flare fitting and pigtail off the stove would be appreciated. Looking forward to our new stove and thank you, Jim, for the quick reply.
It is dark here right, but I will get a shot later and post it.
Old 01-15-2023, 11:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Just buy a hose of whatever length you think you might need, 12, 15, or 20 ft, with a nipple on one end to connect to the quick disconnect on the trailer, and itself has a quick disconnect on the other end (with that shut off valve on it)........ Then get a nipple and fit onto the Camp Chef.

Separating the hose makes it easier to handle, not having to roll it up and try to put the stove away with it permanently attached. Also, you just add nipples to propane fire pits or other devices and you have one hose for all.

RV Propane Quick Connect Fitting Adapter Valve, 1/4" Male NPT Full Flow Plug & 3/8" Male Flare Quick Kit for Low Pressure Gas Appliance Heater Grill Fire Pit and RV Quick Connect, 7pcs

This second one may be all you need as it has the nipple with 3/8 female flare provided and I think that is the fitting you need.

12 Feet 3/8" Female Flare Adapter with 1/4" Quick Disconnect Fitting Propane Extension Hose Connect Outdoor RV Trailer for Outland Firebowl Grill

Charles
Old 03-03-2023, 11:31 AM   #10

Trailer: WTB: E19
How do you convert the Weber Q1000-2000 to low pressure?
Old 03-03-2023, 12:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_19 View Post
How do you convert the Weber Q1000-2000 to low pressure?
Here’s one way
Old 03-03-2023, 12:36 PM   #12

Trailer: WTB: E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Well dang now I feel ....I think I should have figured out how to use Google after 63 yrs on this planet..

Thanks