Solar power and circuit breakers - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2019, 06:22 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
you probably need a better crimper.

I'm using the West Mountain Radio crimper made specifically for Powerpoles. Crimping connectors is one of those jobs that seems to require three hands: one to hold the loose parts in place and two more to operate the crimper. I'm sure with more practice I'd get better, but at this point I still don't completely trust my Powerpole crimps.

West Mountain Radio - PWRcrimp - Crimp Tool for Powerpole® Connectors
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:49 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Crimping and Protecting

I like what Jon states about installing a kill switch between the rooftop panels and the controller. I think Escape is remiss in not installing such a switch as it is recommended practice to give the user the ability to isolate the panels for maintenance purposes. Especially as they are difficult to isolate by covering. Not sure how the factory install handles fusing between the panel and controller but it should be present as well, per the gist of this thread.

In case you are wanting to crimp large wires I have used this tool from Amazon. Works quite well.
https://www.amazon.com/BETOOLL-Hydra...s%2C181&sr=8-6

Finally to join different gauge of wires together, it is possible to use grounding blocks, available at big box or even hardware stores. There also are specialty blocks made specifically for solar installations. Some are called solar combiner blocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Crimp Tool.jpg  
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post

Finally to join different gauge of wires together, it is possible to use grounding blocks, available at big box or even hardware stores.
I saw these in Lowe's but couldn't figure out how to use them to splice a small wire into a larger wire. I ended up attaching the big positive wire from my rooftop panels and the smaller one from my SAE connector for a portable panel to the load terminal on the 50A breaker that I installed on the panel side of the controller. I mounted a terminal stud to connect the negative panel wires, then connected it to the negative terminal on the controller.

I agree that the yellow hydraulic crimper from Amazon works well. I've used it on AWG 6 and AWG 10 wire so far. I'm happy with those crimps.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:04 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My two DC breakers, one on either side of the controller. Recommended size by local solar shop for my loads. I do have a small box to put them in that was not in stock at the time of original install, but just have not got time to use it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00126.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	43044
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:44 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I saw these in Lowe's but couldn't figure out how to use them to splice a small wire into a larger wire.
For larger wire sizes, just separate the ends and screw into multiple holes.

Take the smaller gauge wire and combine with a larger gauge before inserting into the hole.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:44 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
I'm using the West Mountain Radio crimper made specifically for Powerpoles. Crimping connectors is one of those jobs that seems to require three hands: one to hold the loose parts in place and two more to operate the crimper. I'm sure with more practice I'd get better, but at this point I still don't completely trust my Powerpole crimps.

West Mountain Radio - PWRcrimp - Crimp Tool for Powerpole® Connectors
hmm, that does look like a good one.

re three hands, I put the crimp in the crimper, lightly press down on it to secure it, insert the wire into the open end of the crimp, then crimp away. hmm, reading the instructions for the WMR crimper, it says to do this for the PP45's but not the 15s or 30s. it does emphasis you must get the 'split' side of the wire sleeve in the right orientation.

I always pull pretty hard on the crimp and wire after crimping but before assembling into the PP shell to ensure its snug.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:58 AM   #27

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Full Quiver"; 2018 Ford F 150 3.0l Turbodiesel
Send a message via MSN to Berndad Send a message via Yahoo to Berndad
Quote:
I saw these in Lowe's but couldn't figure out how to use them to splice a small wire into a larger wire. I ended up attaching the big positive wire from my rooftop panels and the smaller one from my SAE connector for a portable panel to the load terminal on the 50A breaker that I installed on the panel side of the controller. I mounted a terminal stud to connect the negative panel wires, then connected it to the negative terminal on the controller.

I agree that the yellow hydraulic crimper from Amazon works well. I've used it on AWG 6 and AWG 10 wire so far. I'm happy with those crimps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I like what Jon states about installing a kill switch between the rooftop panels and the controller. I think Escape is remiss in not installing such a switch as it is recommended practice to give the user the ability to isolate the panels for maintenance purposes. Especially as they are difficult to isolate by covering. Not sure how the factory install handles fusing between the panel and controller but it should be present as well, per the gist of this thread.

In case you are wanting to crimp large wires I have used this tool from Amazon. Works quite well.
https://www.amazon.com/BETOOLL-Hydra...s%2C181&sr=8-6

Finally to join different gauge of wires together, it is possible to use grounding blocks, available at big box or even hardware stores. There also are specialty blocks made specifically for solar installations. Some are called solar combiner blocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My two DC breakers, one on either side of the controller. Recommended size by local solar shop for my loads. I do have a small box to put them in that was not in stock at the time of original install, but just have not got time to use it.

Attachment 43044
Thanks all,
I think I will go with 2 small insulated busbars to connect the solar panels to each other (roof and Zamp) after 1st running each thru a breaker separately. Then a 3rd breaker for controller to battery, all in a mini box.
Way safer/easier to control than current wire nuts with no breakers.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/im...attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
mini DC breakers.jpeg   wind-sun_mini bus bar enclosure.jpg  
Attached Images

Berndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berndad View Post
Thanks all,
I think I will go with 2 small insulated busbars to connect the solar panels to each other (roof and Zamp) after 1st running each thru a breaker separately. Then a 3rd breaker for controller to battery, all in a mini box.
Way safer/easier to control than current wire nuts with no breakers.

Victron 100/30
Quote:
Up and running!
Discovered that I could use the existing Go Power controller as a switch for my inverter by running 2 small leads to the battery side.
It also functions as an additional Voltmeter and USB port stays active as well
So I was able to save the $ on the remote inverter switch.
The Networking is super simple as you stated and is great!

I also plan on upgrading the connections and wire ETI used when I get a chance.
They used a short lead of much smaller gauge to go from the 2 roof mounted solar panels and Zamp port which are wire nut connected as seen in the photo.
To get up and running I just moved the existing wiring from 1 controller to the next.

Here is my current pre fix set up:

Attached Thumbnails
Initial Solar controller install.jpg  
Old 10-31-2019, 11:06 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I've combined different large gauge wires by using a non-insulated sleeve splice (not sure the correct name) where all the wires overlap and enter from the same side. The splice should be just big enough to go around this combined bundle. after crimping, you shrink-wrap or wrap with silicone fusion tape.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I've combined different large gauge wires by using a non-insulated sleeve splice (not sure the correct name) where all the wires overlap and enter from the same side. The splice should be just big enough to go around this combined bundle. after crimping, you shrink-wrap or wrap with silicone fusion tape.
In my case there was no need to splice larger gauge to smaller gauge wires. My large gauge multistrand wires would not fit into my MPPT controller when I set up my solar power system. My simple solution was to snip a few of the individual strands at the stripped end portion of the multistrand wire until the gauge was small enough to fit into the controller. Could do the same at the breakers if necessary.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:09 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
In my case the circuit breaker I used had lugs that let me use ring terminals that matched the wire sizes.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
In my case the circuit breaker I used had lugs that let me use ring terminals that matched the wire sizes.
Would you mind sending a photo or letting me know what breakers you used?
Thanks,
It would save a lot of extra wiring and expense if I could do that, sounds similar to what Mike Lewis did.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:27 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Would you mind sending a photo or letting me know what breakers you used?
Thanks,
It would save a lot of extra wiring and expense if I could do that, sounds similar to what Mike Lewis did.
This is the one I used.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1341.jpg  
Old 10-31-2019, 04:37 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
I just push the un equal sizes of striped wire into each other.
Heat up and solder and then heat shrink a tube over the join.
I know that the join is not mechanical but ,so far, none have failed me.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:30 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
I just push the un equal sizes of striped wire into each other.
Heat up and solder and then heat shrink a tube over the join.
I know that the join is not mechanical but ,so far, none have failed me.
Quote:
Thanks!
Old 10-31-2019, 09:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Yes, this is similar to what I did. Wish my breaker had those terminal caps, though.

Jon and I can take solace in the fact that if our trailers founder and sink to the bottom of a lake, our circuit breakers will still function as they are waterproof.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:05 PM   #37

Here is what I have so far. This is a work in progress.

Inside battery comparment, from L to R:
- Two 100 amp-hr gold bars, er, lithium batteries
- battery switch on the front of the compartment
- behind it, terminal stud to connect battery negative to shunt
- existing Samlex inverter. I moved its remote to the far left. The remote is worn out and needs replacing, since I'm a slave to the microwave.
- above the Samlex is a 50A fuse for the solar controller
- to the right of this is a 40A breaker for my "local bus", described below
- a Sterling B2B charger and a Victron solar controller mounted on boards that I installed
- a terminal stud for the negative leads from the rooftop panels and the SAE connector for a portable panel. A wire from this goes to the controller's negative terminal.
- out of sight beneath this terminal stud is a cellular amplifier. Its interior antenna is in an upper compartment; the outside antenna will be mounted on a pole when needed.

On the compartment lid, L to R:
- an Icom IC-7100 ham radio. It connects to a control head via the keystone connectors on the front of the compartment.
- The fuse block for the local bus. It sends power to the Icom, the TV and its powered antenna, a cellular amp, etc.
- at the upper right is the 50A breaker for the solar panels. The big orange wire is from the rooftop panels, the smaller red wire is from the SAE connector for a portable panel.
- beneath the breaker is the negative bus bar for the "local bus". It connects to the shunt

Still to do:
- connect HF antenna and antenna tuner to the radio
- connect the B2B charger. I want to scrape and paint the trailer frame before installing a conduit for the wire. Hope to do it while I still have warm days here.
- connect power to the cellular amp.
Attached Thumbnails
20191101_battery_compartment.jpg   20191101_charger_and_controller.jpg   20191101_compartment_lid.jpg  
Old 11-02-2019, 08:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Here is what I have so far. This is a work in progress.

Inside battery comparment, from L to R:
- Two 100 amp-hr gold bars, er, lithium batteries
- battery switch on the front of the compartment
- behind it, terminal stud to connect battery negative to shunt
- existing Samlex inverter. I moved its remote to the far left. The remote is worn out and needs replacing, since I'm a slave to the microwave.
- above the Samlex is a 50A fuse for the solar controller
- to the right of this is a 40A breaker for my "local bus", described below
- a Sterling B2B charger and a Victron solar controller mounted on boards that I installed
- a terminal stud for the negative leads from the rooftop panels and the SAE connector for a portable panel. A wire from this goes to the controller's negative terminal.
- out of sight beneath this terminal stud is a cellular amplifier. Its interior antenna is in an upper compartment; the outside antenna will be mounted on a pole when needed.

On the compartment lid, L to R:
- an Icom IC-7100 ham radio. It connects to a control head via the keystone connectors on the front of the compartment.
- The fuse block for the local bus. It sends power to the Icom, the TV and its powered antenna, a cellular amp, etc.
- at the upper right is the 50A breaker for the solar panels. The big orange wire is from the rooftop panels, the smaller red wire is from the SAE connector for a portable panel.
- beneath the breaker is the negative bus bar for the "local bus". It connects to the shunt

Still to do:
- connect HF antenna and antenna tuner to the radio
- connect the B2B charger. I want to scrape and paint the trailer frame before installing a conduit for the wire. Hope to do it while I still have warm days here.
- connect power to the cellular amp.
Looks good.
I like the way you use the seat bottom with wire holders for strain relief.
What size wire are you using to connect to the controller, #6 awg ?
I was going to go with either 6 or 8, a big upgrade from original install and use Bussman 30 amp breaker for my Panels to Controller, but thinking I could upgrade to 40 amp. Little chance of needing to protect the 10 gauge Zamp port wiring with just my portable panel producing current. And I think ETI used 8 gauge from the roof mounted panels.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #39

I used 6 gauge wire to the controller because that was the largest gauge it would accept. Coincidentally AM Solar used 6 gauge wire coming down from the rooftop panels. The connector for a portable panel had 10 gauge leads. I connected the 6 and 10 gauge wires to the 50A breaker and terminal stud via ring connectors, then used 6 gauge wire from the breaker and terminal to the controller.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:25 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Wow, pretty impressive.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote