Bellingham, Wa. to Austin, Tx - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2024, 12:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Bellingham, Wa. to Austin, Tx

Hello,

I’m looking for advice on driving to Austin from Bellingham, Wa. the first week of April (leaving the 3rd). I’m looking for the flattest route and will likely stay in free lots like Cracker Barrel or Walmart along the way.

Thanks, Marjorie
shlm2umac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 03:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Not how I’d do it, but south down the coast. Once you hit I10 east it’s mostly flat.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:36 PM   #3

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Not how I’d do it, but south down the coast. Once you hit I10 east it’s mostly flat.
That was my brother’s recommendation. I wonder how many miles that would add on. How would you do it, if I may ask.

Marjorie
Old 02-29-2024, 04:07 PM   #4

I don’t care about flat and prefer backroads. I would not mind some of the coast, but much of it is too crowded for me. I’d also take a lot longer than a week, but If I only had a week, I’d stay on direct major highways to avoid really high mileage days. For a short drive I’d probably do Salt Lake / Albuquerque, but we’d probably take a month to go that far. Direct is still over 2200 miles, so over 300 miles everyday. Those are long days if you try to stick to backroads. For example, from here to Philadelphia next fall is 1200 miles. It’s a two month trip for us.

It’s 1200 miles from Bellingham to LA and then 1400 more to Austin, so it adds 400 miles.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:13 PM   #5

Not a vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I don’t care about flat and prefer backroads. I would not mind some of the coast, but much of it is too crowded for me. I’d also take a lot longer than a week, but If I only had a week, I’d stay on direct major highways to avoid really high mileage days. For a short drive I’d probably do Salt Lake / Albuquerque, but we’d probably take a month to go that far. Direct is still over 2200 miles, so over 300 miles everyday. Those are long days if you try to stick to backroads. For example, from here to Philadelphia next fall is 1200 miles. It’s a two month trip for us.

It’s 1200 miles from Bellingham to LA and then 1400 more to Austin, so it adds 400 miles.
Thank you. I need quickest and safest route. We are inexperienced women and I know there are several passes the shortest route. We were planning on driving 400 miles a day and sleep which we’re hoping takes us 5.5 days. Not too found of the coast either for the extra day especially but there’s a high elevation pass that way too.

Thanks,
Marjorie
Old 02-29-2024, 07:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Found this maybe helpful site (FlattestRoute.com) which will display an elevation graph of your route. Early April can provide challenging conditions at altitude so this tool may be of some value in avoiding passes, however, that will most likely come at a cost of distance and time.

https://www.flattestroute.com/Austin...via-Sacramento

Good luck finding a route that aligns with your comfort level and timeline - don’t forgot to enjoy the journey…safe travels.
LRCURTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 09:22 PM   #7

flatest route along with google maps can be helpful, but mostly I just go.