Canada 150 Cross Country - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #101

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yup, going north if I can tear myself away from the Walmart wi-fi

We never reserve, take our chances. No problems so far but could be in July when more people are on holiday.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #102

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Spent the night snoozing in a recliner, got some sleep and arrived at 7:00am. Didn't feel like driving too far but went up to a Provincial Park not too far from Cornerbrook. Very nice, beside a lake, well run and inexpensive. They have long term rates and it's obvious that some locals use them as their summer cabin. Campsites have been personalized and most have an RV there but no occupant. They probably come down on weekends. Nice to see a well run facility for a change.

In Cornerbrook now and will be heading up to Gros Moren. Finally tee shirt weather.

We're now officially "come from away" which is what they call off island visitors.

Ron
Hi: Ron in BC... er I mean "Come from away"!!! "Stay where you're at and I'll come where your to". Thanks for the rates and dates. We're thinking of joining the "Come from away" crowd too.
Hope you get a good feed of "Cods tongues" and at least one "Jiggs dinner", and enjoy some "Kitchen party's" too.
Here's a pic'r two, to remind you of Nova Scotia!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030077.jpg   P1030079.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:18 AM   #103

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Spent the night snoozing in a recliner, got some sleep and arrived at 7:00am. Didn't feel like driving too far but went up to a Provincial Park not too far from Cornerbrook. Very nice, beside a lake, well run and inexpensive. They have long term rates and it's obvious that some locals use them as their summer cabin. Campsites have been personalized and most have an RV there but no occupant. They probably come down on weekends. Nice to see a well run facility for a change.

In Cornerbrook now and will be heading up to Gros Moren. Finally tee shirt weather.

We're now officially "come from away" which is what they call off island visitors.

Ron
Morning Ron ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hope you get a good feed of "Cods tongues" and at least one "Jiggs dinner", and enjoy some "Kitchen party's" too.
Here's a pic'r two, to remind you of Nova Scotia!!! Alf
Don't know about cods tongues etc. but I stopped at a Robins Donuts for lunch and had steak, egg and cheese bun, tasted pretty darn good, don't know about the cod's tongue and not likely to find out.

What the heck happened? We were in tee shirts down Gros Morne way and drove up to L'anse aux Meadows today. Pack ice, icebergs, freezing hail Froze our butts off. We started off the year in ice and snow going to Baja and now we're surrounded by ice and snow. What's wrong with that picture.

This is our furthest point North. Looked across the Strait of Belle Isle towards Labrador but somehow that doesn't seem too tempting.

The roads are moderately good and any gas we've bought has been cheaper that what we'd pay at home.

Happiness is 30 amp service, a good heater and being able to look out at the pack ice while being warm and toasty.

Ron
Old 06-10-2017, 06:02 PM   #105

Quote:
Don't know about cods tongues etc. but I stopped at a Robins Donuts for lunch and had steak, egg and cheese bun, tasted pretty darn good, don't know about the cod's tongue and not likely to find out.

What the heck happened? We were in tee shirts down Gros Morne way and drove up to L'anse aux Meadows today. Pack ice, icebergs, freezing hail Froze our butts off. We started off the year in ice and snow going to Baja and now we're surrounded by ice and snow. What's wrong with that picture.

This is our furthest point North. Looked across the Strait of Belle Isle towards Labrador but somehow that doesn't seem too tempting.

The roads are moderately good and any gas we've bought has been cheaper that what we'd pay at home.

Happiness is 30 amp service, a good heater and being able to look out at the pack ice while being warm and toasty.

Ron
Hi Ron like your kind of lunch mmmm. Take care and keep warm . Pat
Old 06-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #106

From furthest point North in Newfoundland to furthest point East in North America. Just came back from Cape Spear, near St. John's. Interesting to note that if there was a road to Paris that I could drive there and back in fewer miles than it is to Vancouver.

Along the way here we went to the North East coast to Twillingate. Pack ice as far as the eye could see and some large icebergs. Perfect, that's what we came to see.

We were up Signal Hill this morning. The weather is cold and there were gale force winds blowing. Everyone's dressed like we dress in Winter back home.

The ferry that goes from here, saving driving back across the island doesn't have any kennel space for it's first couple of runs so we'll head back across the island tomorrow and catch the shorter one, only 6 hours overnight.

Just turned over 10,000 km for this trip so far. 9 provinces down, 1 to go, PEI. Before that we'll be doing the scenic drive around Cape Breton Island.

Ron
Old 06-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #107

Quote:
From furthest point North in Newfoundland to furthest point East in North America. Just came back from Cape Spear, near St. John's. Interesting to note that if there was a road to Paris that I could drive there and back in fewer miles than it is to Vancouver.

Along the way here we went to the North East coast to Twillingate. Pack ice as far as the eye could see and some large icebergs. Perfect, that's what we came to see.

We were up Signal Hill this morning. The weather is cold and there were gale force winds blowing. Everyone's dressed like we dress in Winter back home.

The ferry that goes from here, saving driving back across the island doesn't have any kennel space for it's first couple of runs so we'll head back across the island tomorrow and catch the shorter one, only 6 hours overnight.

Just turned over 10,000 km for this trip so far. 9 provinces down, 1 to go, PEI. Before that we'll be doing the scenic drive around Cape Breton Island.

Ron
Morning Ron ! Was thinking how your trip was going . Understand about distances , when we leave California , it is like you will never get out of this state and a lot of it is boring driving . Can get through Oregon and Washington State in less time for sure . Glad you checked in . Pat
Old 06-15-2017, 05:01 PM   #108

Yup, boring I-5 is but it gets the job done. I hate the 55 speed limit for trailers as being somewhat allergic to tickets I don't usually go much over 60.

Since this was the first day since Ottawa that we didn't move the trailer I finally ran the Jefatech cable inside. It's good that I had some time to think about it as it ended up in a different location than I was originally planning. I had enough cable to run it up to the dinette area. Very handy to be able to turn it off and on as needed.

I'm in a campground but not in an area that's served by wi-fi. Without the Jefatech I had a barely usable signal. With it our devices are happy campers. I know sometimes we'll be able to pull into a parking lot and pick up a store signal even at a fair distance. Handy to have.

Ron
Old 06-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #109

Quote:
Yup, boring I-5 is but it gets the job done. I hate the 55 speed limit for trailers as being somewhat allergic to tickets I don't usually go much over 60.

Since this was the first day since Ottawa that we didn't move the trailer I finally ran the Jefatech cable inside. It's good that I had some time to think about it as it ended up in a different location than I was originally planning. I had enough cable to run it up to the dinette area. Very handy to be able to turn it off and on as needed.

I'm in a campground but not in an area that's served by wi-fi. Without the Jefatech I had a barely usable signal. With it our devices are happy campers. I know sometimes we'll be able to pull into a parking lot and pick up a store signal even at a fair distance. Handy to have.

Ron
Ron I try to keep it at 59 . Sounds like I might be interested in the Jefatech . I think Don Andrews also knows about this . So that's at least 2 of you that know about this system . Finally got to go to my love , beach camping , boondocking . Redoing the floor in trailer right now . Pulled the rugs . Can't make the dog children remove their feet so going to try something else here . Can't wait for your pictures . So glad you checked in today and all is well . Pat
Old 06-16-2017, 05:05 AM   #110

My Ford Ranger, in 5th gear, isn't really happy at 59. A couple of mph faster and it's good. Which is why I installed a really backup camera so that I can see down the road behind me.

Ron
Old 06-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #111

Quote:
My Ford Ranger, in 5th gear, isn't really happy at 59. A couple of mph faster and it's good. Which is why I installed a really backup camera so that I can see down the road behind me.

Ron
I hear you Ron . Ours is a big Ford F-250 . I like the backup camera as well to see what going on behind . The new tires I just put on I may go a little faster and walk on the wild side . Pat
Old 06-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #112

Are we having fun yet? I'm beginning to wonder. Picked up nasty cold a few days ago. Then we started driving back across NFL to catch the ferry at Port aux Basque. Stopped for the night at a campsite that was picture perfect. We overlooked a gorgeous lake with a perfect small island a few hundred yards off shore. Put the kayaks in the water and went out around the island and back. Despite some bug repellent we were eaten alive. Not only the usual mosquitoes and flies but there must have been a spider in my folded down kayak seat. I've got a bunch of the nastiest welts I've ever had. Ah nature, gotta love it.

We moved our ferry reservation up a day because we made good time. The cost was that we lost our reserved cabin. We went to see the purser on boarding and luckily he found one for us. Good, I'm getting too old to sleep in a reclining chair.

Arrived back in Sydney to fog and rain. Not looking good for the Cape Breton Drive. Went up to the start of it, to a campsite, and the sun came out, the weather's warmer than anything we had in NFL and it should be a great scenic drive tomorrow. Hope so, it's one of those things that's been on our list for a long time.

Ron
Old 06-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #113

Quote:
Are we having fun yet? I'm beginning to wonder. Picked up nasty cold a few days ago. Then we started driving back across NFL to catch the ferry at Port aux Basque. Stopped for the night at a campsite that was picture perfect. We overlooked a gorgeous lake with a perfect small island a few hundred yards off shore. Put the kayaks in the water and went out around the island and back. Despite some bug repellent we were eaten alive. Not only the usual mosquitoes and flies but there must have been a spider in my folded down kayak seat. I've got a bunch of the nastiest welts I've ever had. Ah nature, gotta love it.

We moved our ferry reservation up a day because we made good time. The cost was that we lost our reserved cabin. We went to see the purser on boarding and luckily he found one for us. Good, I'm getting too old to sleep in a reclining chair.

Arrived back in Sydney to fog and rain. Not looking good for the Cape Breton Drive. Went up to the start of it, to a campsite, and the sun came out, the weather's warmer than anything we had in NFL and it should be a great scenic drive tomorrow. Hope so, it's one of those things that's been on our list for a long time.

Ron
Hi Ron ! Well you are now in a heat wave 90's to 100's . I am trying to work on trailer but need to keep coming back in house to cool off . Would love , love some cool rainy weather !
Besides your trip and the cool weather , you are so lucky . Safe travels Pat
Old 06-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #114

Sunny and warm today, perfect to do the iconic Cabot Trail around the coast of Cape Breton Island. Picture postcard perfect. I'd seen lot's of photos of the steep twisty sections and wondered if my little Ford Ranger might protest a bit. No worries, went fine. At one point I could tell that the trailer brakes were fading a bit but nothing serious. Lot's of pull outs so they had a chance to cool down.

I think that by the time this trip's over Nova Scotia is going to rate as the best for seafood. Although my wife already has our seafood experiences in PEI planned.

Gas prices continue to be a surprise. Nowhere have the prices been anywhere near as expensive as at home. I've always thought that we were getting hosed in BC.

A little more of Cape Breton to finish up tomorrow and then onto the ferry for PEI. Ferry over and the bridge back.

Ron
Old 06-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #115

Quote:
Sunny and warm today, perfect to do the iconic Cabot Trail around the coast of Cape Breton Island. Picture postcard perfect. I'd seen lot's of photos of the steep twisty sections and wondered if my little Ford Ranger might protest a bit. No worries, went fine. At one point I could tell that the trailer brakes were fading a bit but nothing serious. Lot's of pull outs so they had a chance to cool down.

I think that by the time this trip's over Nova Scotia is going to rate as the best for seafood. Although my wife already has our seafood experiences in PEI planned.

Gas prices continue to be a surprise. Nowhere have the prices been anywhere near as expensive as at home. I've always thought that we were getting hosed in BC.

A little more of Cape Breton to finish up tomorrow and then onto the ferry for PEI. Ferry over and the bridge back.

Ron
Hi Ron gas prices same here . Leave California go to Oregon or Washington prices really drop . Go the other way to Arizona same thing happens . Gas taxes is what does it for us . Unfortunately this is a long state and you need to drive to get anywhere and they got you . Pat
Old 06-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #116

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

Ron
Hi: Ron in BC... Did you sample the sea food in Pleasant Bay Cape Breton Island. The mussels steamed in white wine were divine!!! Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1010334.jpg   P1010335.jpg   P1010329.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:01 PM   #117

Don't know about that place but the seafood just keeps coming. I don't know of Miss Manners would approve of the bucket on the table but it's a practical way of dealing with the mussels.

We took the ferry to PEI and checked out Charlottetown and then went over to the North coast. Lot's of campgrounds along the water. Saw the famous red earth and cliffs. We stayed near Cavendish and therefore were right at the epi-center of the Ann of Green Gables tourism. I have to say I've seen a lot of tourist traps but this one is quite tastefully down.

Speaking of taste, we went to a lobster dinner there that just about did us in. Basically, although they didn't advertise it as such, it was all you could eat, except for lobster. Love the clam chowder or the mussels, no problem, they'll bring you more. Half bucket or full?

We crossed back to Nova Scotia via the Confederation Bridge. You know it's a long bridge, but wow, it's a very long bridge. No fees are charged going to the island. The ferry is evidently a little more than the bridge so most tourists take the ferry over and the bridge back. We were pleasantly surprised to see the total was only $62 CDN. Not bad for a hour and a quarter ferry ride and an 8 mile bridge for a truck and tandem axle trailer.

We've come up the coast a bit to a national park we call "Gooch" because we can't pronounce the real name. It has miles of offshore dunes and miles of protected bays and rivers perfect for kayaking so that's tomorrows agenda.

Can't get away from the seafood. Tonight, in the trailer, we had steak and lobster patty.

Ron
Old 06-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #118

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Ron,
We are enjoying you trip posts so much. It's a trip we're not likely to be able to take, so we appreciate your descriptions putting us 'there', especially the food. Thank you.

So, with "all you can eat", are you going to exceed the GCWR?
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:35 PM   #119

Hi Ron ! Pat
Old 06-24-2017, 06:47 PM   #120

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Great trip report, Ron. We can't wait to do it in four years!
Bookmarking this for reference.
Stay safe out there, long way home yet.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote