Current Border Situation - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2019, 11:37 AM   #81

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleredtj View Post
Just the luck of the draw I guess.
It is and it seems to be one of the most random things in life. You just never know how the crossing is going to go. Even when you're a frequent crosser it's always a bit of a question mark if it'll be quick and easy or not.

I did cross that next weekend, fast and easy. The original post coincided with other events and there was the possibility that the two were related. Since then it doesn't appear that land crossings have been affected by other events.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #82

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Anything can happen. A bank robbery, a murder, a missing child near the border can intensify inspections. There could be a terrorist threat that you'll never hear about.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #83

Can that be called getting the finger, or just a pain in the ass
Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:51 PM   #84

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
There could be a terrorist threat that you'll never hear about.
Yes. Our nations' intelligence services and law enforcement try to keep that stuff under control. You hear about the failures, but you rarely hear about the successes.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:59 AM   #85

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Cross Border!!!

Hi: All... This time headin' south was faster than most. Almost no questions asked. Maybe due to the situation he didn't want to bother leaving his "Hot seat". No wait either!!! Alf
escape artist N. S. of Lake Erie "Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt".
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:58 PM   #86

Trailer: none
I noticed a number of people commenting on this forum mentioned that they crossed carrying dog food. I assume then that some of you also crossed with a dog or dogs, so I thought I'd ask about this.
Maybe three or four years ago we were crossing at the Peace Arch and had our dog with us. We had all the right dog vaccination records etc. with us, so no problem there. However, we were sent for secondary inspection for other reasons. We were sent inside the building for interviews. They took the dog away from us and put her in their dog jail. We asked if we could leave her in the vehicle, or take her inside with us, but no to both those requests. The dog was terrified in dog jail, and we of course were worried the whole time about what might happen to her, or what she might do because of her fear, which made us nervous, and of course being nervous wasn't much help during the interviews.
Because of that experience, we haven't crossed with the dog since, which means we have avoided recreational travel in the US.
Have others encountered this? As I mentioned, it happened a few years ago now, maybe three or four. Do they still take your dog away and put it in dog jail if you have to go through secondary inspection?
prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:15 PM   #87

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Was your dog armed? Was it wearing a hoodie? Your doggie story smells fishy.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Was your dog armed? Was it wearing a hoodie? Your doggie story smells fishy.
The dog was wearing a safety harness that we put on her when she's in the vehicle. We fasten the harness to a tether to keep her secure in the back seat while we travel.
They didn't want the dog in the vehicle while they searched it, which is understandable.
Back in the distant past, they used to let us take the dog inside the building, on a leash, but that doesn't happen any more. My wife offered to stay in the parking plaza with the dog on a leash, or to stay with the dog at the dog cage, since I was the one they wanted to talk to, but that was also unacceptable.
Why do you say "fishy"?
Old 01-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #89

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Many years ago we crossed with our licensed MACE into Canada . When the guard asked if we had any I answered yes, to his question . We were asked to go inside and hand over the MACE , which I did . He said to tell them when we went back through to get it back , they had it. Different fellows on duty later but I had a paper and told them I was supposed to get it back . I did get it back .
Now for my son-in -law with his family in front of me , was stopped on the American side and had to go inside to be questioned . He was in the military ( Navy ) . Questioned and then let go .
Best to always be respectful and don't hide anything . Sometimes we don't know their reasoning or what's going on . They are just doing their job .
I never forget to brings things like MACE over border again .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #90

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When I had to go inside I always left my dogs in the vehicle.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #91

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Hello Prospector.
Usually not a problem with the dog when you have all the papers.However, a couple of years ago we crossed back into Canada via Aldergrove customs and was sent in for secondary inspection.Nothing to declare but the foxterrier had to be put in a kennel outside the entrance.And the car searched.Of course she got terrified and messed up the kennel big time, leash and everything was covered in dog poop. Returning to the vehicle we asked if we had to clean up the mess and was told not to worry.After going trough a stack of
WET ONES we could get going again.Have not used that crossing since.
We keep bringing her across without incident. Crossing at truck crossing or Blaine/Douglas now.
Allan
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:27 PM   #92

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When it comes to dog food, you are allowed to cross with it, in the original sealed bag or cans. If you feed your dog raw food, you could have a problem.
Our dogs usually got a biscuit from the border services.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:42 PM   #93

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Well... this is why I thought your initial border story was "fishy."
Attached Thumbnails
JosieLeg.jpg  
Old 01-18-2019, 06:37 PM   #94

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Just at a guess, it might be a good idea to have any dog in a crate when crossing the border (in either direction). That would enable agents to search the vehicle thoroughly and safely (for everyone) without having to remove the dog.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:17 PM   #95

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Just at a guess, it might be a good idea to have any dog in a crate when crossing the border (in either direction). That would enable agents to search the vehicle thoroughly and safely (for everyone) without having to remove the dog.
They may want to look for contraband in the crate too.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #96

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I don't see a dog being out of a crate as an issue. We have never used one anywhere. If they want to search you just bring him out with you, no problem.

Heck, Jasper has even been given a cookie at a US crossing in Idaho. That was actually funny, as the agent handed me the biscuit and said in a stem voice. "that is not for you, sir!". [emoji16]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:18 PM   #97

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
They may want to look for contraband in the crate too.
Yes, but you can see everything in a crate without sticking your hands inside. It might not work, but it can't be more of a problem then leaving a dog loose in the vehicle or even tethered.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:28 PM   #98

Quote:
Yeah, a crate might work, but our dog, an SPCA special, gets carsick travelling in crates. We use the tether instead. With that she never gets carsick.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:41 PM   #99
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
We have crossed primarily at the Aldergrove/Lynden crossing hundreds of times with our two labs. We have been searched while traveling with them three times. The first time, we had only our first dog with us in a crate and we were asked to leave him in their outside kennel while we went inside for an interview. The second time, we had them belted in with seatbelt harnesses in the back seat and they let one of us stay outside of the building with both dogs on leash while the other one went in for interview. The third time, they said the dogs could stay belted in. Each time they were quite nice to the dogs or just ignored them. Each time we asked what they would like us to do with the dogs when we went in.

I teach dog training classes on the side. Dogs are super sensitive and feed off of your energy- if you're nervous, they'll pick up on that and will be nervous too. The first time we were searched, it was with our seven month old 80lb rescue that at the time had pretty bad anxiety. I had treats and faked being really impressed with the kennel, "What's this?! Look!" and threw some treats in, then asked him to sit and wait, praising him all the way. He was totally fine and did awesome, much to our amazement. Even though it was one of our first times being searched and we were really nervous, I didn't let our dog know. If I had a super anxious dog, I would practice positive crate training, and might even go as far as setting up a similar scenario- using lots of positive words and treats and only leaving them for a few seconds to start in a crate in an unfamiliar place, like a friend's yard, etc. Of course, at this point, they would already have some positive crate training. Just my two cents.

Each time we were searched, it was at random. 95% of the time, they offer treats or don't ask anything about the dogs at all. We roll the windows down so they can tell that we have them. Maybe 20 times they've asked if we have their rabies vaccine certificates, but only once has an officer asked to see the certificates. The most common question we get asked is what kind of dog food we have, if it's in the original package, and if they can have a treat.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:37 AM   #100

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
The most common question we get asked is what kind of dog food we have, if it's in the original package, and if they can have a treat.
Ya mean the Customs Agent wanted a Milkbone?

Sorry couldn't help myself,
Tom