Florida Campgrounds - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2023, 08:29 PM   #1
gbb

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Florida Campgrounds

We are planning a trip to New Smyrna Beach in February 2024. I'm sure campsites that time of year are in short supply. We would appreciate some recommendations for campgrounds near New Smyrna Beach and other favorite campgrounds in Florida.
Thanks
gbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 04:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb View Post
We are planning a trip to New Smyrna Beach in February 2024. I'm sure campsites that time of year are in short supply. We would appreciate some recommendations for campgrounds near New Smyrna Beach and other favorite campgrounds in Florida.
Thanks
You are correct in your assumptions. New Smyrna Beach is very close to Daytona Beach. Early February in Daytona finds thousands of people attending Bike Week and the campgrounds are usually booked well in advance. If I were you, I would look up campgrounds on an app like Allstays and start making calls. You might get lucky. Finding campsites anywhere in Florida in February is difficult, whether they are private or governmental (e.g., State Parks). I hope you are fortunate and can find an opening.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:55 PM   #3
gbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
You are correct in your assumptions. New Smyrna Beach is very close to Daytona Beach. Early February in Daytona finds thousands of people attending Bike Week and the campgrounds are usually booked well in advance. If I were you, I would look up campgrounds on an app like Allstays and start making calls. You might get lucky. Finding campsites anywhere in Florida in February is difficult, whether they are private or governmental (e.g., State Parks). I hope you are fortunate and can find an opening.
Our purpose for the original post was to hear what campgrounds other people on the forum like in Florida. Should have been a little more detailed. Suzannes sister (from Minnesota) spends the winters in her small 1 br condo in Daytona Beach and we have visited many times. So we are familiar with Bike week, Daytona 500, etc., and will schedule our trip around them.
Last couple of winters her brother (from Maine) has spent a couple of months in New Smyrna Beach. We visited him both winters and stayed with them in their rental, but now they have also purchased a small 1 br condo.

So, this year we were thinking about making it a Florida camping trip and visit. We are somewhat flexible with our schedule but need to go in February or March. We have camped in Florida before April 2020 but not since. We have a few campgrounds we like but are looking for other camper's favorites somewhat close to New Smyrna Beach but also anywhere in Florida.

Thank you for your comments and are hoping others will weigh in with their favorite campgrounds.
Old 10-11-2023, 11:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb View Post
Thanks
Hi: gbb... Our fav. go to is Salt Springs CG., in The Ocala Nat. Forest. It's around 30 min. from Silver Springs on Hwy. 19. Paved level sites w/ power water sewer. Here's a pic or 2 there. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1050435.jpg   P1050434.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 05:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 escape 17B
Tomoka state park, Blue Springs state park, both are gems. Sorry for the short answer. Stan
mr.stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 E19 Escape
Blackwater River State Park
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 09:28 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 5.0
If you end up a little further south, this place is amazing...can't beat the location:
https://junooceanwalkrvresort.com/
Old 10-12-2023, 10:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
We’ve been camping in the Florida area in winter for about ten years since our retirements, first with our Casita and now with our 5.0 TA. We leave New England in early January and spend 2 months in warmer weather. We prefer state parks (they usually have at least basic utilities and are reasonably priced) and National Parks and Forests, rarely private campgrounds. The further south and closer to the coast the harder it is to reserve, even when the sites first become available. We’ve never been able to reserve a state park in the keys. We now really enjoy northern FL and the panhandle from about St. Augustine west to Pensacola and even to MS (Davis Bayou CG at Ocean Spring.) This tends to be the off season and not really summer weather, unless you’re from Maine. Here’s our upcoming trip:
Click image for larger version

Name:	South2024.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	71062
Anastasia, St. George Island, Grayton Beach SP’s are old favorites. Fort Clinch, Lake Luisa and Rainbow Springs are new, and Crooked River, GA is a new favorite, especially as the first stop to relax a while. Last year we visited Salt Spring NF and Torreya SP and would definitely visit again.

Hope this helps,
Old 10-12-2023, 06:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol5.0 View Post
We’ve been camping in the Florida area in winter for about ten years since our retirements, first with our Casita and now with our 5.0 TA. We leave New England in early January and spend 2 months in warmer weather. We prefer state parks (they usually have at least basic utilities and are reasonably priced) and National Parks and Forests, rarely private campgrounds. The further south and closer to the coast the harder it is to reserve, even when the sites first become available. We’ve never been able to reserve a state park in the keys. We now really enjoy northern FL and the panhandle from about St. Augustine west to Pensacola and even to MS (Davis Bayou CG at Ocean Spring.) This tends to be the off season and not really summer weather, unless you’re from Maine. Here’s our upcoming trip:
Attachment 71062
Anastasia, St. George Island, Grayton Beach SP’s are old favorites. Fort Clinch, Lake Luisa and Rainbow Springs are new, and Crooked River, GA is a new favorite, especially as the first stop to relax a while. Last year we visited Salt Spring NF and Torreya SP and would definitely visit again.

Hope this helps,
When are you going to be in St Augustine at Anastasia State park?... I have a 5.0 and live about 4 miles away.. I would love to meet another 5.0 owner..
Old 10-12-2023, 08:26 PM   #10

The nights of 1/24/2024 to 1/31/2024. We're squeezing into site 97. We were in 96 last winter.
Old 10-13-2023, 06:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
When are you going to be in St Augustine at Anastasia State park?... I have a 5.0 and live about 4 miles away.. I would love to meet another 5.0 owner..
It’s probably too late (you could try) to procure a site at Highlands Hammock State Park for next year’s Scamp Camp in early February. I typically go every year as there are many different brands of FG trailers in attendance, typically a few Escapes, including 5.0TAs. There are a few 5.0 owners in Florida, and we have made a number of friends over the years.
Old 10-13-2023, 06:44 AM   #12

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol5.0 View Post
The nights of 1/24/2024 to 1/31/2024. We're squeezing into site 97. We were in 96 last winter.
unfortunately I'll miss you. I will be out of town from Jan3-Jan 31. Have fun here!
Old 10-13-2023, 08:37 AM   #13

Quote:
It’s probably too late (you could try) to procure a site at Highlands Hammock State Park for next year’s Scamp Camp in early February.
When we bought our Casita ten years ago, we picked it up in Rice, TX and went down to South Padre Island and spent the next 2 months tracing the Gulf Coast clockwise. On our way to the Everglades we stopped at Highland Hammocks for a few days. We started to see a lot of FG trailers showing up, but this was our first FG trailer and new to camping in FL. I thought: Wow, these trailers are really popular in FL! By the time we left, there was a steady stream coming in. I asked and they told me a Scamp Rally was just starting. Duh!
Old 10-14-2023, 04:15 AM   #14
Nan

Trailer: 2023 5.0
Quote:
It’s probably too late (you could try) to procure a site at Highlands Hammock State Park for next year’s Scamp Camp in early February. I typically go every year as there are many different brands of FG trailers in attendance, typically a few Escapes, including 5.0TAs. There are a few 5.0 owners in Florida, and we have made a number of friends over the years.

We have reservations for Highlands Hammock in March. Any tips on that campground or must sees in the area?
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 05:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
We have reservations for Highlands Hammock in March. Any tips on that campground or must sees in the area?
The next town south of Sebring is known for murals painted on buildings in the downtown area. Solomon’s Castle is not too far away and is an interesting tourist destination. Neither is Bok Tower Gardens (about 1 hour north in Lake Wales). Spook Hill is nearby Bok Tower (an optical illusion where your vehicle seems to roll backwards). Do not miss the swamp trail at Highlands Hammock as it goes through a cypress swamp on an elevated walkway. Finally, sign up for the Tram Tour which takes you through parts of the park that are only accessible if you take the tour. You will see lots of alligators and other wildlife. Since the park was built by the CCC, the onsite CCC museum is interesting and informative. Plenty of dining in Sebring; if eating out is “on your list” of things to do you can find the type of food you want. And I should note for all who are unaware, “hammock” does not refer to a makeshift “bed” hung between two trees or whatever. A hammock is an area that is high and dry, or drier than surrounding wetlands.
Old 10-14-2023, 07:29 AM   #16

We've been to Highland Hammocks a few times. Its one of the easiest SP to get a reservation in south FL. I agree with all that C&G in FL recommended and would add there are quite a few nice nature trails off the loop road in addition to the swamp trail. The only downside is the sites are quite crowded in the central area of the campground, we usually try for a site on the periphery.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230122_164341031.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	71103
Old 10-15-2023, 08:12 AM   #17

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Our planning skills are poor. Florida has a number of "horse camps" that we steared clear of because, well, we thought having a horse was required! That's not the case, and the availability at these camps seems better. One of our favorites is Shangri-La Trailhead and Campground. Good hiking trails, huge nicely spaced sites. Shoot for site 17 or 12.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 09:25 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
Hi: Nan... I have reservations about Highlands Hammock S. Pk. too. Beware of the ants!!! When you're not looking they'll carry you off. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 11:50 AM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
Our planning skills are poor. Florida has a number of "horse camps" that we steared clear of because, well, we thought having a horse was required! That's not the case, and the availability at these camps seems better. One of our favorites is Shangri-La Trailhead and Campground. Good hiking trails, huge nicely spaced sites. Shoot for site 17 or 12.
I understand your reason for staying at horse camps, however, the number of horse camps vs. regular campsites is small, horse campers are limited to where they can stay. If lots of people start camping at horse parks, that makes the availability for horse camping even smaller.
Old 10-15-2023, 08:27 PM   #20
gbb

Thanks everyone for all the great recommendations. We have stayed at several of the ones mentioned and are excited to see all the new ones we can check out.

Second the recommendation for Crooked River SP in St. Mary's Ga. We have stayed there several times. Its a great stop for us on the way to Florida and it's also a great base to explore Cumberland Island National Seashore from.

Thanks again