Kodachrome basin state park - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2024, 07:16 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
We are thinking of visiting in the first week in March for 8-9 days. Is there enough hiking nearby to support that? Also, any idea of what it looks like in early March?

PS: I saw David mention sites 48-52 in Basin. I don't see those sites listed at all - irrespective of availability... I see 21-24, 28, 31-34 only. Any advice among those would be appreciated. Due to the length, we'd prefer hookups.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:09 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Sites 48 -52 are in the Arch campground and have water and electric hookups. There are also some full hookup sites in the main Basin campground. 27, 29, 31, and 33 are the best of these, nice spacious back in sites with good privacy.

Lots of good hiking in Kodachrome, and Bryce Canyon NP is right next door. Also a lot of nice canyon hiking in the surrounding area.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:38 AM   #23

Trailer: 2016 - 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
We are thinking of visiting in the first week in March for 8-9 days. Is there enough hiking nearby to support that? Also, any idea of what it looks like in early March?

PS: I saw David mention sites 48-52 in Basin. I don't see those sites listed at all - irrespective of availability... I see 21-24, 28, 31-34 only. Any advice among those would be appreciated. Due to the length, we'd prefer hookups.
We have been to Kodachrome and stayed in the remote sites (electric only at time of year). No other people at the time in October. There are a few days of hiking in Kodachrome, but not 8 days worth. Hiking in Bryce could be iffy in March due to snow at the higher elevation of Bryce. Other hiking could be found in the lower elevations.
bhonisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 11:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhonisch View Post
We have been to Kodachrome and stayed in the remote sites (electric only at time of year). No other people at the time in October. There are a few days of hiking in Kodachrome, but not 8 days worth. Hiking in Bryce could be iffy in March due to snow at the higher elevation of Bryce. Other hiking could be found in the lower elevations.
Thank you! I had precisely the same conversation with my wife. For 8-day stay, we'd need to drive into Bryce Canyon or Grand Staircase Escalante NM for some of the hiking. We do understand the risk of winter weather.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:16 PM   #25

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thank you! I had precisely the same conversation with my wife. For 8-day stay, we'd need to drive into Bryce Canyon or Grand Staircase Escalante NM for some of the hiking. We do understand the risk of winter weather.
Don't discount Red Canyon (a bit east of Bryce), which has some pleasant little trails. The Arches Trail is scenic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162 tpz sm.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	72377
Old 01-09-2024, 05:44 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
I am reading this thread with interest because we plan to be in the same area in late April thru May.

Talk of the hikes has me wondering if dogs are allowed on the trails. I know in the national parks they are not but what about the state parks, etc.?
Old 01-09-2024, 07:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Don't discount Red Canyon (a bit east of Bryce), which has some pleasant little trails. The Arches Trail is scenic.

Attachment 72377
I will look into Red Canyon. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2024, 08:47 AM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
While staying at Kodachrome Basin, if the road is open, I highly recommend driving the length of Cottonwood Canyon Rd, stopping for some hikes and tons of geological scenery along the way... when you come out the south end, turn west, then north in Kanab and back around on the highway... Bonus stop, dinner at the Rocking V Cafe in Kanab.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 02:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
While staying at Kodachrome Basin, if the road is open, I highly recommend driving the length of Cottonwood Canyon Rd, stopping for some hikes and tons of geological scenery along the way... when you come out the south end, turn west, then north in Kanab and back around on the highway... Bonus stop, dinner at the Rocking V Cafe in Kanab.
Thanks, John! Will definitely look at it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-10-2024, 07:45 PM   #30

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post

Attachment 72377
Oops, I should have said west of Bryce Canyon. I have that problem too often lately; I know in my head which way to go, but my brain mislabels them.

Tags
camping, kodachrome basin