Middle America Ideas: Those Lesser Known Gems - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #21

Trailer: none
Hi Wendy,

It sounds like you will pass through the Tehachapi area if you are going from Joshua Tree to Yosemite. If so, I can recommend a few things. On Hwy. 58, just west of Kramer Junction, is the little desert town of Boron. It was created when borax deposits were discovered there back in the 1920’s and is the site of the largest borax mine in the world. There is a museum and a visitor center there you may want to check out:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...alifornia.html

https://www.borax.com/borax-operatio...visitor-center

Then, stop in Tehachapi and get a meal or some pastries at Kohnen’s, our local German Bakery which is celebrating their 15th year:

https://www.kohnenscountrybakery.com/

And just a couple of doors down is our free historic train depot museum where you can learn lots about train history and the nearby Tehachapi Loop, world famous with rail fans:

https://www.tehachapidepot.com/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehachapi_Loop

If you need nearby camping suggestions, let me know. Sounds like a great trip you have planned!
Old 04-07-2019, 08:53 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
In Minnesota, the city to visit in the fall is Duluth. It can be the one time of the year that Lake Superior can warm the area around it. Duluth can be a big city to some, however the downtown is very accessible if and only if you can book yourself a site at the Lakehead Boat Basin. This is a parking place for your RV, it is all about location. On an island called Minnesota Point, you cross an aerial lift bridge to access the island, the bridge is walking distance to downtown and the boat basin. The boat basin is butt ugly, a parking lot that is used to store boats over the winter. Ignore the facilities and take in the surroundings. Just about every great lakes ship that enters or leaves the Duluth - Superior harbor will pass under the lift bridge and in front of the boat basin. Boat schedules are available on line or at the Lake Superior Maritime Visitor Center at the foot of the bridge.

I have memorable recollection of a big ship coming under the bridge and starting a steam whistle cacophony with the bridge tender. The two were quickly joined by the engineer of the steam railroad tourist line that is based in the downtown. All three steam sounds were remarkable, enhanced by the hills surrounding Duluth and the resulting echos.

Reservations at the boat basin are mandatory. Plan a couple of nights to enjoy the night time view of the city. Take in the Marine Aquarium, a short walk away. Sit and watch the action, it can be a restful and relaxing place to do nothing and let the surroundings entertain you.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
I highly recommend the Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village, in MI. If you are really into history, plan a day for each.
https://www.thehenryford.org/

In MN south of Minneapolis is the Spam museum. Another interesting piece of History, includes a display from WW2 and how the canned product you either hate or LOVE came to be so important.
https://www.spam.com/museum
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
In Minnesota, the city to visit in the fall is Duluth. It can be the one time of the year that Lake Superior can warm the area around it. Duluth can be a big city to some, however the downtown is very accessible if and only if you can book yourself a site at the Lakehead Boat Basin. This is a parking place for your RV, it is all about location.
Yes. That was my next stop last year after the Boler trailer rally in Winnepeg. They were able to squeeze me in for three nights midweek, but I wish I could have stayed for a week. Get your reservations well in advance. The Aerial Lift Bridge and downtown are walking distance from the RV park.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:31 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
If going west on I 40 the small town of Okemah, OK is the "Home of Woody Guthrie" and the W G Festival is the third week of July. Lots of old hippies, occasional odor of ditch weed being smoked during the festival, but the weather is often really hot. Very nice little restaurant in town called the Hen House. The town also has Hot and Cold water towers painted in black and gold but the paint is faded now and the towers need to be rebuilt or torn down. Seventy miles east of Oklahoma City. If you don't stop, look for the water towers as you pass by on I 40.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:30 AM   #26

Trailer: 2019 21- Escape
Gosh!! I thought Lakehead Boat Basin was my little secret. We stay there every year when we run Grandma’s Marathon. Awesome location! Great views and you can walk to all of the running festivities. No need to drive anywhere!
-Mike
firstpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
If you are planning to visit Lakehead Boat Basin I recommend using Google Maps to search for Lakehead Boat Basin and then go through the photos that have been posted. Take note of the contrasts you will see: the urban scenery, maritime and nautical images, nighttime photos, the "elegant" shower trailer and the closely spaced sites on blacktop. The only photo missing is the big ships passing in front of you. Check out the videos at duluthharborcam.com for the latest arrivals and departures.

All of this is posted to let you know what you are in for.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #28

Trailer: 2019 21- Escape
Now that the adjacent Fairfield Inn/Marriott opened next to the Lakehead Boat Basin (of which the Boat Basin's owner is a part owner of), the shower trailer went away and campers are now allowed to use the Fairfield's showers.

Mike
firstpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #29

Trailer: Still Deciding
St Louis, The Arch, One of the VERY best zoo's in the Country and it's free, The Landing for night time Music and dancing, "The Hill" for the best authentic Italian Cuisine. Small family restaurants, if you're timing is good a Cardinals Game in one of the very best ball parks. Lindburgh Museum, The Muny Opera in Forrest Park.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #30

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyM View Post
Wow. So much great info! Thank you all. Re Tennessee we will be doing Nashville to Memphis and of course Graceland.
Wendy, if you're an Elvis fan I would suggest going a little out of the way but likely a lovely drive from Nashville down the Natchez Trace Parkway to Tupelo MS and visit Elvis' birthplace home and museum there. We were just there Saturday and although the museum was closed there's lots of info outside. Then take I22 up to Memphis. We did two miles on the Trace at Tupelo on Sat. and would love to do more but it runs NE from Natchez to Nashville and we're always traveling SE from our home to Georgia.

I also second both Marquette and Duluth. Never stayed overnight in either place but our first 5.0 did with Alf the night before delivering it to us they stayed at the boat basin.

Only campground on your route I can recommend is the town campground in Wakefield MI, we stayed right on the lake there three years ago and I think was $25 a night.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #31

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
WI stops

South central WI Devil's Lake is a must. West of there is Wild Cat Mt St Park and you can pick up the Elroy Sparta bike trail and ride through old rail road tunnels. In that neck of the woods is Virogua, WI and it is worth a stop at the Driftless Cafe. The Driftless Area is an area of WI that the last glaciation period missed. I'd skip the WI Dells but that's me. Up in the thumb of WI is Door County. Peninsula State Park is popular. Out the north side of eh park is a hole in the wall called Good Eggs that has great breakfast. You can take a ferry from the end of door county to Washington Island. Lots of folks love it. I'm not so much a fan as I find it increasingly hoity toity with lots of money coming up from Chicago, not my thing, it's out of my comfort zone. Oh that reminds me, another place in the UP is Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. OK, back to WI, up north are many lakes and places to see like Cooper Falls and Amnicon Falls. Then there is Bayfield and the Apostle Islands. I've never stayed at private camp grounds in WI. Only state parks. Some parks have no electric sites. Some have a good number. None have full hook ups. Oh, at the south west corner of WI is Wylausing State Park on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi. Hope that helps.
Jeremy Kessenich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #32

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Middle Aerica Ideas, Michigan

Hi Wendy,
We have a 21 and live in Harbor Springs, Mi. Our Daughter and family live in Portland, SE. We are off soon for Portland. This will be our 7th trip your way with
our Escape and two other prior RVs. Scamp 16 and 1978 GMC 26 ft. Class A motorhome.

We like the smaller roads and have driven US 2, 12, 212, 14, and 20 to avoid the truck ahead, truck behind, and truck next to you view from most interstates.
We take five to eight days to make the trek each way and try to go in the fall and spring to avoid crowds. We were leaving tomorrow, Thurs, April 11, but there seems to be some snow on our unplanned as yet route.

Suggestions:

UP of Mi. Jampot bakery near Eagle Rive on route 26. Water fall on site. link
https://www.michigan.org/property/jampot
Ft Wilkins state park in Cooper Harbor
Grand Marais area, Campground in town or 12 mile beach federal campground.
H 58 is a beautiful road, especially the miles close to Gran Marais.
Shipwreck museum on Whitefish point is very well done, link
https://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/
Goodhart store in Goodhart, mi. on the already suggested tunnel of trees, M119
Great chicken pot pies and sandwiches to go.
You can pull a 19 through this route with no problems. Devils elbow and Horseshoe bend are the only two tight turns.

Harbor Springs, Historical museum is fun and brief. My Sister bake shop is a do not miss for sure. link: https://mysistersbakeshop.wixsite.com/sconesbyjib

If you are overnighting in Harbor Spring, send us a pm and we can arrange a campsite for you in our driveway. 30 amp service and water.

Have a wonderful adventure with a capital A.
Andy and Mary D.
Chicadee

:
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:06 PM   #33

Trailer: 2005 Aliner & 2019 Escape 21 - Adventure Orange
More from Wisconsin/UP (with activity flavor) -
Interstate State Park, Saint Croix Falls (called the city of trails)
-oldest state park in Wisconsin on the Federally protected Saint Croix River. Camping above the Dells (not Wisconsin dells) and picnicking below. Ice Age Nat Scenic Trail runs on ridge through town and most don't know it's there. Paddling if your interested.
We also suggest Wildcat Mountain State Park, Ontario (our favorite WI park)
-campground on top has one sharp turn and steep climb (some trailers bottom out). Otherwise pull into the horse camp down lower and drive your TV up to the entrance to register.
-driftless area hiking, Kickapoo River Floating and Elroy Sparta Bike Trial are all close by.
We also like Devils Lake State Park, Baraboo
- Only in spring and fall or weekdays in summer (overcrowded summer weekends). Hiking, views, picnicking, swimming, Barnum Circus Exhibit in town. Pleasant Ice Trial Hikes in park and town.
Bois Brule River State Forrest, Brule Wisconsin
- state and national forest campgrounds, mostly paddling. Drive down to the mouth, set up chairs and watch the sun set on lake superior with a beverage of your choice. Use as base camp to tour Bayfield County
Bayfield County
- multiple campgrounds, google map and make your pick. Buy fresh caught lake trout or white fish at multiple locations (Halversons in Cornucopia) and make yourself a heavenly meal. Hiking or sea kayaking (outfitters between Bayfield/Redcliff) out of Myers beach. Have dinner in Bayfield. Tour an apple winery. Take a ferry and your bikes (or camper) to Madeline island for a picnic or stay at Big Bay State Park. Multiple Lake Superior sand beaches on all sides of the County. Best skipping rocks in the world.
Porcupine Mountain State Park (UP), Ontonagon
- For backpacking or hiking around Lake Superior we feel its the best in the Midwest. If you rent (reserve) a rustic cabin on Mirror Lake it comes with a paddle boat and is only a 3 mile hike in. The 2 person mirror lake cabin would be on everyone's bucket list if they new it was there. Trailer camp on the west side "Presque Isle" with no black flies and better scenery. Ontonagon City Campground is right on the lake and has good facilities.

9 weeks is so short, but it's better than anything less
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:01 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treblemaker View Post
Sounds like an awesome trip! I would avoid Oklahoma if possible because there are so many roads in poor condition. I40 from Fort Smith to Oklahoma City is rough and all the turnpikes are just riddled with potholes. It would add an hour or 2 to your trip but the northern Texas route has much better roads. NE Texas is scenic with many small towns, Mom and Pop restaurants, and some nice state parks. Depending on the day, there are some fun flea markets and farmer’s markets also.
If you are in NE Texas on the weekend before the first Monday 😜,come to Canton. The largest flea market in Texas. Fun, from crafts to junk. Anything you might think of.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:28 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
https://www.atlasobscura.com

Use the search bar to check on places along your route.
This is a cool website, now I know why the monkey statues are on a trail I hike near me. THANKS for sharing.

Enjoy the journey.
Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:00 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 19' pick up in July
Viajante! Thank you. I will definitely check this out! Wendy
WendyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:04 PM   #37

Treblemaker: I've been fighting Passwords on the Forum but am finally back in. I definitely will check out Drummond, always interested in Women's roles. No interest in the guns, and afraid to find out what a calf fry is!! Plan to se the OKC memorial as well. Thanks so much for your suggestions!
Old 07-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #38

Thank You All for your ideas in Planning

It's been months of planning and research and the trip is finally laid out. I used a lot of many people's ideas and suggestions and on July 9 we finally picked up our Escape. We camped in the North Cascades National Park for several days to try it out, and are going for another dry run in August near Mt. St. Helens. The nine week road trip starts August 30. In Brief:

Portland to the Columbia Gorge (a wedding there!) to Spokane to Glacier NP to Norris Spa in MT, to Yellowstone to Grand Tetons, down to SD/Badlands etc, up to Duluth, around the UP of Mich, down the east coast of the lake, South to Amish Country Indiana and then Mammouth Caves. From there, Nashville, Memphis and Graceland, Arkansas Hot Springs, Oklahoma City, Palo Duro State Park near Amarillo, a New Mex stop near S.Fe/Alb but out of the cities as we have spent time there, (ANY SUGGESTIONS??) Petrified Forest, Sedona, Joshua Tree, Mid CA (IDEAS??) to Yosemite (we got into the Park!!) and home maybe through Nevada City, Grant's Pass or Ashland. Open to ideas here too, but we may be pressing for home by then!

Lots of the suggestions made here were super helpful in the planning and if you see an area above with a "just don't miss it site" nearby, I'd love to hear about it

Best,
Wendy
Old 07-22-2019, 05:38 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
For a true UP taste experience stop at Lehto's Pasties
on rt 2 outside St. Ignace.
Yes X. 2
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:41 PM   #40

I'll be there! We stopped at about 6-8 bakeries in our two week pick up the trailer trip! A great way to experience travel!!

Tags
favs across the middle, minn/wisc gems, okl/tex gems