Winter route from Yellowknife to Vancouver with camper trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2020, 08:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 grey wolf 26f
Winter route from Yellowknife to Vancouver with camper trailer

Good day folks, I’m planning my trip from Yellowknife to Vancouver while towing a 26foot about 8000 pounds camper. I know that I may in counter some steep hills around peace river and then on hwy1 or hwy5 and was wondering if anyone has taken this route in February? I’m driving a half ton with newish tires and a lift. I have had a chance to tow my camper to Whitehorse couple of years back where I in counter some hills and had to creep up doing 60km/h. I made it but if you add snow and ice it might be an issue. I’m I crazy to even attempt this or is it doable if you take it slow? I know that some hwy 1 is probably a better option but is it even an option during winter hauling almost at my max capacity ? Anything will help. Cheers!
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I don't know what you're towing (there's no 26-foot Escape), but whatever the trailer, if you're crossing the Rockies and headed toward Vancouver the Yellowhead (Highway 16 then Highway 5) has lower passes and much less severe grades than the Trans-Canada (Highway 1).

There is also a route through Dawson Creek on Highway 97, but I know nothing about that road.

These routes intersect at Kamloops, and from there you can choose between the same two highways, but with 5 now called the Coquihalla. Highway 1 along the Fraser Valley is narrow and twisty, but stays a much lower elevation and has much lesser grades; the Coquihalla is shorter and can be much faster, but is famous for adverse winter conditions at the south end.

I assume those newish tires are real winter tires... and I still wouldn't want to try this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 grey wolf 26f
Thank you Brian for the info. My apologies, that I did forget to mention that the camper is grey wolf and is 26 foot long. So from your point of view, do you think it will be safe enough to take hwy 1 instead of coquihalla hauling the trailer 8000 with a half ton? I got good reach KO2s on and the rating on them is pretty decent for winter driving. Thanks again!
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Watch a few episodes of the TV show 'Highway to Hell' I think it's called. The 'Coq" as they call it, is scary during winter.

Of course, being from deep south Texas, any snow is scary.
RangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It's very variable. I drove it once where the snow was coming down faster than it could be plowed and I high centered.

You're right, at times, it is the highway from hell in the winter. But, as the saying goes, timing is everything.

If a person can afford the time they could safely pick their way down. There are times in the Winter when the highway is clean and dry. It only takes one good day. I usually drive from Prince George, center of BC, to Vancouver in a day. All you need to do is wait for that good day.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
My apologies, that I did forget to mention that the camper is grey wolf and is 26 foot long.
In case you haven't noticed yet, this forum is specifically for the Escape Trailer Industries moulded fiberglass travel trailers; none of them are even half the weight of that Grey Wolf, and the longest is several feet shorter. So there's not a lot of experience here with towing that size of trailer.

Quote:
So from your point of view, do you think it will be safe enough to take hwy 1 instead of coquihalla hauling the trailer 8000 with a half ton?
Your call, but I would only do it on good days - applying patience as Ron suggested.

Quote:
I got good reach KO2s on and the rating on them is pretty decent for winter driving.
The BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 is rated as an "all weather" tire, meaning that it should be suitable for real winter conditions, but it's probably the worst performing tire in existence with that rating... just a glance at the tread shows minimal siping (small slits) suggesting that it would be a marginal ice tire. Great for the trailer compared to the usual trailer tires, but not something I would use on the truck in winter. Of course, different people have different standards. A lot of people drive in the Edmonton area all winter with just "all-season" tires; I have a rural house and I see a lot of them - usually 4WD pickups and SUV - in the ditches on bad days.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
A lot of people drive in the Edmonton area all winter with just "all-season" tires; I have a rural house and I see a lot of them - usually 4WD pickups and SUV At this point I was imagining that I could hear a drumroll.- in the ditches on bad days.
Vancouver drivers can't get enough speed up, spinning their wheels furiously, to even reach the ditch.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote