21' NE air conditioner - Escape Trailer Owners Community
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-08-2020, 12:06 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA in about a year. Lol
Posts: 32
21' NE air conditioner

I walked in a brand NE 21 and my head hits the air conditioner do they have a lower profile inside air conditioner they can put in there?
Thanks
__________________

1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:47 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200bruce View Post
I walked in a brand NE 21 and my head hits the air conditioner do they have a lower profile inside air conditioner they can put in there?
Thanks
You must be quite tall. Look into the Houghton Belaire unit being imported by Advanced RV in Ohio. Much quieter than the Dometic and the indoor profile may be a bit more favorable. Advanced RV was doing all the installs initially but may now be in a position that they will send these out to OEM's for them to install. Would be nice if Escape would consider it as an option. Much more expensive but might be worth it if you aren't hitting your head and you'll be able to hold a conversation with it running. A custom mini-split install recessed in an overhead cabinet like I have done completely takes care of the overhead clearance issue but is much more complicated and something you would likely need to do yourself.

My original post about Houghton Belaire unit:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post271225

Another video showing the sound difference:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HB indoor.JPG (70.5 KB, 17 views)
__________________

__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:20 AM   #3
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 23,090
or, just take your shoes off while inside, that should help with clearance.........
__________________
Jim
What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals....
Goethe
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Posts: 7,099
Get the 5.0TA.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 4,256
How do they deal with the 240V & 50 Hz?
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
How do they deal with the 240V & 50 Hz?
Jon: I assume you are referring to the Houghton Belaire unit that I referenced above. Advanced RV is importing a version of the unit made for 120V 60Hz. Supposedly they have the exclusive license to distribute the unit in the U.S.
__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Danbury, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Posts: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
or, just take your shoes off while inside, that should help with clearance.........
I just learned to duck down when walking under the A/C the same way I do when going out the entry door . It’s an acquired skill
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
tdf-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - improved version
Posts: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I just learned to duck down when walking under the A/C the same way I do when going out the entry door . It’s an acquired skill
Steve, you are a better person than me.

I continually smacked my head on the Casita door head knocker to the day I sold it!
You would think that I would learn to duck sooner or later but it didn't happen.

Thank goodness, the 21 Escape is fine for someone 5' 10" - no head knockers!
__________________
If It Isn’t Perfect, It Isn’t Finished
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:09 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Danbury, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Posts: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Steve, you are a better person than me.

I continually smacked my head on the Casita door head knocker to the day I sold it!
You would think that I would learn to duck sooner or later but it didn't happen.

Thank goodness, the 21 Escape is fine for someone 5' 10" - no head knockers!
You learn fast when you don’t have any hair to cushion the blow !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Upstate, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Jon: I assume you are referring to the Houghton Belaire unit that I referenced above. Advanced RV is importing a version of the unit made for 120V 60Hz. Supposedly they have the exclusive license to distribute the unit in the U.S.
Must not be exclusive. This unit from a company called RecPro seems to be the same thing (after reviewing photos/videos available on web). Currently running about $1200 with a coupon online and free shipping.

https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-condit...te-non-ducted/

Photos on the web are branded "RecPro by Houghton", but the actual units only have Houghton on them and it is model A3400 (see photo below). Houghton is an Australian company (see packaging). The unit arrives on a steel pallet and everything seems high quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Houghton 3400.jpg (182.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Houghton 3400 pic 2.jpg (139.4 KB, 22 views)
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
Must not be exclusive. This unit from a company called RecPro seems to be the same thing (after reviewing photos/videos available on web). Currently running about $1200 with a coupon online and free shipping.

https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-condit...te-non-ducted/

Photos on the web are branded "RecPro by Houghton", but the actual units only have Houghton on them and it is model A3400 (see photo below). Houghton is an Australian company (see packaging). The unit arrives on a steel pallet and everything seems high quality.
Great news that this unit can be procured without going through Advanced RV! This unit should be much quieter than the standard Dometic and Coleman units. This could be a game changer for those that want a quieter unit without wanted to do a custom installation of any sort (i.e. mini-split). Please post a video with the unit in operation once your are complete!
__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:24 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: st louis, Missouri
Trailer: 2021 NE
Posts: 45
Rec Pro site quoted me $1,375. It's a little more than the new Coleman, but if it's that much quieter it might be worth the trouble and added cost.
mfschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:22 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Upstate, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfschu View Post
Rec Pro site quoted me $1,375. It's a little more than the new Coleman, but if it's that much quieter it might be worth the trouble and added cost.
Current price on RecPro site still showing $1299.95 - https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-condit...te-non-ducted/

Coupon code gets you 5% discount = RVWITHTITO
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:41 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Trailer: 2020 21NE
Posts: 36
We tried talking to AdvancedRV about their unit. Was concerned that the length of the unit was going to be a problem. It's longer than the Dometic that ETI installs and longer than the reinforced section on the roof. We were trying to get a solid answer out of AdvancedRV about whether there would be any supports / weight that fell on the roof beyond the raised / reinforced section that is built in but they stopped responding to us.
tacchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:15 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Trailer: 2020 21NE
Posts: 36
Better photos on the RecPro site than what AdvancedRV had. Hard to tell but maybe all the weight of the unit is at the mounting site?
tacchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:06 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Upstate, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacchino View Post
We tried talking to AdvancedRV about their unit. Was concerned that the length of the unit was going to be a problem. It's longer than the Dometic that ETI installs and longer than the reinforced section on the roof. We were trying to get a solid answer out of AdvancedRV about whether there would be any supports / weight that fell on the roof beyond the raised / reinforced section that is built in but they stopped responding to us.
Yes, the ~4" of additional length was also something we considered. Weight wise, the units are comparable. Here is a photo of the bottom of the Houghton.

On our 19', the support blocks highlighted in red do land on the back edge of the raised/reinforced section of the roof. If the supports at the rear had extended beyond the raised area, we likely would have had to add new ones.

All this proves, however, is that the unit does fit on the second gen 19'. The important dimension is the distance between the cutout on the roof and the back edge of the raised roof section. An owner would need to look closely at this dimension on the model they are considering modifying.

Doing the install has challenges and we seriously considered just having AdvancedRV do it, but we can't see making the trip out to Ohio in the near future. I consider them to be a high quality company with an excellent reputation, which actually gave us confidence in the Houghton unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a3400.jpg (53.2 KB, 13 views)
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Trailer: 2020 21NE
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
Yes, the ~4" of additional length was also something we considered. Weight wise, the units are comparable. Here is a photo of the bottom of the Houghton.

On our 19', the support blocks highlighted in red do land on the back edge of the raised/reinforced section of the roof. If the supports at the rear had extended beyond the raised area, we likely would have had to add new ones.

All this proves, however, is that the unit does fit on the second gen 19'. The important dimension is the distance between the cutout on the roof and the back edge of the raised roof section. An owner would need to look closely at this dimension on the model they are considering modifying.
The shroud on our 2020 21NE is 36'' front to back and the hole cut out starts about 2.5'' back. How does that compare with your 19 do you know?
tacchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:41 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Upstate, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacchino View Post
The shroud on our 2020 21NE is 36'' front to back and the hole cut out starts about 2.5'' back. How does that compare with your 19 do you know?
Just measured - it appears to be the same.
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:47 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: st louis, Missouri
Trailer: 2021 NE
Posts: 45
Is the 36" length for the Dometic? The Houghton is 44" long. So it sounds like the Houghton is 8" longer than the Dometic model Escape is using.
mfschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:00 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Upstate, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfschu View Post
Is the 36" length for the Dometic? The Houghton is 44" long. So it sounds like the Houghton is 8" longer than the Dometic model Escape is using.
No, the 36" refers to the length of the raised section of the roof on the 19. The Penguin II is 40" long and the Houghton is 4" longer.
__________________

rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×