Captain's Lights vs Wire Drop? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2022, 08:35 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Captain's Lights vs Wire Drop?

In planning our new 21C I want wiring in both upper cabinets for future usage. I have thought about just ordering 12v wire drops on both sides , but it occurs to me that if I order Captain's Lights I will get the wire drops that I can use for other purposes, either by replacing a light, or by tapping into the wire. Might get the wire access and lights with little extra cost over paying only for the wire drops.

Anyone done this, and how do the costs compare?
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
In planning our new 21C I want wiring in both upper cabinets for future usage. I have thought about just ordering 12v wire drops on both sides , but it occurs to me that if I order Captain's Lights I will get the wire drops that I can use for other purposes, either by replacing a light, or by tapping into the wire. Might get the wire access and lights with little extra cost over paying only for the wire drops.

You may not be able to access the Captain's light wiring from inside the cabinets. In my case (2017 21C) it was run in the space between the cabinet floor & the panel on which the light is mounted.

I had taps added to each cabinet & the wires were long enough to reach either end of the space.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:53 AM   #3

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Thanks, Jon. If ETI is still running the wires under the cabinet floor looks like the only access might be to replace a light. I do not know, but removing the fixture should allow access to the wires and only require drilling a small hole in the cabinet floor to run the wire into the cabinet itself(?).
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Thanks, Jon. If ETI is still running the wires under the cabinet floor looks like the only access might be to replace a light. I do not know, but removing the fixture should allow access to the wires and only require drilling a small hole in the cabinet floor to run the wire into the cabinet itself(?).
I replaced one of my Captain's lights with a soft light / touch control dimmer version (which I don't recommend - the swivel function has loosened to the point where you can not keep it aimed, although the light quality is great). The wires are very short & clamped out of reach so you cannot pull out any excess. A tough rewiring project.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Removed the window valance, put a captain light at both ends of the bed on the escape window side.
Attached Thumbnails
captainlite.jpg  
Old 04-29-2022, 09:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:

What do you plan on adding there?

If you want a 12 volt power port, just ask Escape to install that. I had Escape put a 12 volt power port next to the 120 volt outlet on the bed side of the wall between the stove and the bed to use with my CPAP.

The 12 volt power ports that Escape uses are good quality, and I have no issues with my CPAP staying plugged in. There are a lot of cheap plastic power (cigarette) ports that give that type of power port a bad reputation.

Yes, the were not originally designed to use for other accessories. But, a quality one, like Escape uses, is completely functional for that use.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I was able to tap into the curbside captain's light over the bed for an inside LED for the cabinet over the bed. Removed the light then drilled a hole for wire to go up and into the cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
20220429_074705.jpg  
Old 04-29-2022, 11:26 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
These little lights of mine, I'm gonna let them shine...
Attached Thumbnails
bedlites2.jpg  
Old 04-29-2022, 01:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
You may not be able to access the Captain's light wiring from inside the cabinets. In my case (2017 21C) it was run in the space between the cabinet floor & the panel on which the light is mounted. ....
Just FYI / For those following and FWIW ^this^ is the situation in my 2021 5.0.

The Captain's lights can be removed to access the wires between the layers of wood (for tapping whether or not the OE lights are replaced, removed, or reinstalled). a small hole can be drilled through the inside-cabinet floor to pull them to in the cabinet if preferred for routing to other locations.
Old 04-29-2022, 06:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Dead easy to run power up the gap covered by the corner batten. Allows you to put whatever it is for on it's own fuse.

In the case of adding Captain's lights in the corner the power goes above the cabinet floor and then down. That's what the curved solid red wire was for.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0046_resizerotated.jpg   IMGP0048_resizerotated.jpg   IMGP0050_resize.jpg   IMGP0051_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:

Get both…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote